• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Neptunes have never topped "Superthug" IMO..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let's be clear..the lyrics are..."garbation", but the track is just fucking ridiculous. The fact that, not only did the track go to Noreaga (has rare, RARE moments but is mostly booty), but also that he blessed it with some of the most inane, nonsensical lyrics in music history, is a tragedy of the greatest magnitude. I'd rather they dropped the track as an instrumental..like for mix-tape fodder, as opposed to whatever circumstances forced them to opt for Noreaga to pick it up (I realize they weren't as widely known at the time). Even Pharrel, not known for his enlightening lyrics, probably could barely contain the hysterics when Nore laid down his vocal. You know he was wishing he cold retract the offer and get Busta Ryhmes or Craig Mack or ANYONE -even 3rd tier No Limit "mc's"- to come and write their worst possible material for the track simply becuase it would still be better than the final single we ended up with.

ANYWAY..the beat is fucking retarded to this day, and even the little R&B bird on the hook fit like a glove. I really think its the pinnacle of the Neptunes sound and really laid the foundation for a lot of what followed. Now they're completely played and cliche, but when that beat dropped back in 98 it was pure unchained madness from out of left field. A completely fresh sound and production approach. They even had your cousin's friends uncle who mostly liked bluegrass feelin Nore for a minute. SINISTER track..the butchered vocals almost make me respect it more because I still bang that shit despite getting stupider by the minute while listening to the lyrics. God bless you Superthug.

XS+

Banned
I hear what you're saying but Grindin' topped Superthug IMO. Superthug's electronic sound makes it sound aged and played out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom