• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The "new" KIA logo. Does it suck, or is it just me?

Eiknarf

Banned
For months, I thought there was a new automobile manufacturer out there. Some car company called KN.

Then I find out it's KIA, which was odd because I had leased two KIA SUVs just prior to that! So they changed their logo... their branding. Maybe not so smart.

Here's a before and after.

yK8IVsN.jpeg

I waited a year to let it sink in, yet it still sucks because it looks like a backwards N, as in Nine Inch Nails.

wwcqDzh.jpeg

What do YOU think of it?

Melon Husk

I read |λV|

Yea it's bad. Removing the circle from the old logo would have been enough.

Last edited:

8bitpill

For months, I thought there was a new automobile manufacturer out there. Some car company called KN.

Then I find out it's KIA, which was odd because I had leased two KIA SUVs just prior to that! So they changed their logo... their branding. Maybe not so smart.

yK8IVsN.jpeg

I waited a year to let it sink in, yet it still sucks because it looks like a backwards N, as in Nine Inch Nails.

wwcqDzh.jpeg

What do YOU think of it?

Kid you not, the first time I saw it a couple years back, my NIN soaked mind went "Why does that look like the Nine Inch Nails logo."

tumblr_p77d3x9MLJ1sqf5tdo1_400.gif

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins

yK8IVsN.jpeg

wwcqDzh.jpeg

What do YOU think of it?

I think the new logo looks better.

The old logo is basic. Looks like something I'd come up with in a rush. Shit.

The new one looks sleek.

Eiknarf

Banned
I think the new logo looks better.

The old logo is basic. Looks like something I'd come up with in a rush. Shit.

The new one looks sleek.
True that it looks sleek.
My problem was that I didn’t know that it was a K, I, and an A

lachesis

I don't mind the logo change for what it looks like - but I've seen it changing so much over the years - and I like constant brand image.

I like something like Sony. I think it's been same or just minor tweaks over past 4-5 decades. That's the right way to build the brand image.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
My wife and I both immediately thought it was a Nine-Inch Nails bumper sticker the first time we saw one

navii

My fantasy is that my girlfriend was actually a young high school girl.
I like the logo quite a bit actually. I like how they probably knew it looks like KN, but went fuck it and did it anyway. Thats courage, that's bold inspired future thinking... I'll stop, I sometimes scare myself as I can't tell when I am being sarcastic or not

Last edited:

Eiknarf

Banned
My wife and I both immediately thought it was a Nine-Inch Nails bumper sticker the first time we saw one
Which means it’s a cool logo but poor branding because nobody knew what it was

“Look, a new KN automobile!”

Lack of clarity, plus and inconsistency with brand history,

Last edited:

navii

My fantasy is that my girlfriend was actually a young high school girl.
Which means it’s a cool logo but poor branding because nobody knew what it was

“Look, a new KN automobile!”

Lack of clarity, plus and inconsistency with brand history,

I think they launched their new logo right about the time they started with their electric cars, which also had a drastic look change. The identity dissociation could have been on purpose.

Eiknarf

Banned
I think they launched their new logo right about the time they started with their electric cars, which also had a drastic look change. The identity dissociation could have been on purpose.
Interesting.
Makes sense

It’s just, most other companies don’t do that when they change

FedEx
Apple
Nike
Chevrolet
Target

Eiknarf

Banned
I think with a few small tweaks it could've looked in line with the previous logo whilst keeping the drastic shift of the new one:

5t4rvchq.png

Even if they put a slight BCH of space between the letters.

Like such:

IGQiVO0.jpeg

Now I see the "A" and not an N

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
To me, all the Kia logos suck.

But if I had to pick one, call me retro but I'd choose the first one. Some reason companies like to make their logos simpler and smoother as if people can only understand basic shapes like a toddler.

Gimme more complex cool badges.

That Kia 1986 one with factory smokestack blue fumes might be the worst logo I've seen in my life.

Last edited:

Forsete

First time I saw it I didn't know what it was, I read KN "Wtf is that?"

Now that I know what it says it doesn't really bother me. The old logo was kind of ugly.

Roxkis_ii

I don't know why, but I thought that logo had something to do with mass effect. I thought someone bought a custom logo for their car lol.

But yeah, that's a really bad logo. I had no idea what brand car it was on until i found out later it was kia. Probably the worst car logo since the slanted "H" Hyundai logo (it really looks like a bootleg Honda logo and as a Honda fan, I was highly offended.)

Last edited:

thefool

yK8IVsN.jpeg

wwcqDzh.jpeg

What do YOU think of it?

eddie4

Genuinely Generous
Most new or updated vehicle logos and the vehicles themselves just suck and look horrible. Who's hiring these designers?

Top Bottom