• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The OFFICIAL Fable thread

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Anything about Fable goes here. I'm sick of seeing all these Fable threads. NOT ANYMORE! Everything goes in here. Except for trolling, of course. Troll posts can go here.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
All this talk about Fable had me thinking the game surely would be in stores this week. But, no, there's still two weeks left before the game arrives.

GhaleonEB

I pre-ordered it, paid in full, from EB.com about a month ago. The IGN 14-page article just blew my mind.

I've been wanting a game like this this entire generation. To me, it looks to combine the elements of hack'n slash games I love (I own both Baldur's Gate: DA games) with the open quests and adventure I wanted in Morrowind - a game I never picked up because it was just too big, too stat-heavy and just plain intimidating to an old-school console gamer such as myself.

Fable also takes the light/dark of KotOR to another level. My biggest frustration with that game was that your choices impacted your character, but not the overall story. Subquests had different outcomes, but the main story only split at the end. I'm looking forward to pushing the edges of the 'emergant gameplay' in Fable, from being evil to messing with possible quest outcomes to managing my own real estate empire while wearing underwear and weilding the Frying Pan of Doom.

Dyne

From what I played at PAX, it was awesome. I got up to the Earth Gnome. (I had a long line behind me.) I guess I was playing the full game because it wasn't a demo, that's for sure. I was immersed completely. Fun game.

And the straight combat is kind of boring.

I had a chance to play it a few weeks back for about 10 minutes, and had an absolute blast. While it's a shame they had to remove some concepts from the final product, I'm still looking forward to picking this up in a couple weeks.

Chony

XboxGamers said:
Poll

What are you going to start as,

Good or Evil

I'm going the good side first. :D

Can you just be plain old neutral? I don't want to be a flaming demon or a dainty fairy, just some average dude that does stuff.

snapty00

Banned
Wario64 said:
I'm sick of seeing all these Fable threads.
Why exactly? Maybe an official Fable thread is a decent idea, but you're sick of seeing Fable threads? Go do something in the real world for a while.

totoro'd

Definitely good. I probably won't even be able to replay the game a second time as evil (couldn't do it in KOTOR either).

I wasn't even able to play an evil race in years of playing Everquest (not that race makes much of a difference nowadays). Yes, i'm a goody two-shoes :D

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
awesome, awesome game. can't wait to get home and play it. i came into the office today and coworker david chen was playing it... he's about as far as i am into it but it was so cool to see how different his character looks and how different he plays this game, even though we're both at about the same juncture.

seriously, action RPGs haven't been this good in a long long time.

chespace

Prine said:
^^ WHaaa??

Im was pretty sure you hated it ;P

Glad your enjoying it. You bad or good che?

you were sure i hated it from the two other positive impressions posts i made in the other thread (GMR OWN3d!1!)?

i'm playing a fairly neutral character. i don't kill NPCs on purpose (sometimes they get in the way during combat), but i will occasionally steal if there aren't any guards around.

my alignment meter is right in the center.

I don't know about putting that much tatoos on. lol

fable_54.jpg

jedimike

pre-ordered it today along with Battlefront. EB has this deal right now where you can preorder two games and get a $20 voucher plus if you trade-in 2 or more games you get bonus credits. 2 games = $10 3= $15, etc.

So...

Fable + Battlefront = $100
EB Game voucher - 20
Trade-in bonus credit - 15 (plus whatever they give you for the games)

PhatSaqs

Banned
chespace said:
awesome, awesome game. can't wait to get home and play it. i came into the office today and coworker david chen was playing it... he's about as far as i am into it but it was so cool to see how different his character looks and how different he plays this game, even though we're both at about the same juncture.

seriously, action RPGs haven't been this good in a long long time.
Sounding good :D. Who's doing/did the XBN review?

Sysgen

http://forums.gamespot.com/gamespot/show_messages.php?board=13705&topic=15973646&page=0

"both the magic and combat systems are held back by clinky controls that see the xbox controller overflowing with functions"

Clunky controls but yet Kasavin says (paraphrased) in his video review:

Controls are very intuitive and have a good responsive feel. From a mechanical standpoint Fable left a good 1st impression.

Other things Kasavin said:

intrigued, impressed by what I've played so far.
one of the most original Xbox games
deserving of the wide attention it received so far.

chespace

Sysgen said:
http://forums.gamespot.com/gamespot/show_messages.php?board=13705&topic=15973646&page=0

"both the magic and combat systems are held back by clinky controls that see the xbox controller overflowing with functions"

Clunky controls but yet Kasavin says (paraphrased) in his video review:

Controls are very intuitive and have a good responsive feel. From a mechanical standpoint Fable left a good 1st impression.

Other things Kasavin said:

intrigued, impressed by what I've played so far.
one of the most original Xbox games
deserving of the wide attention it received so far.

the controls are decent for the most part, except i find using magic to be somewhat cumbersome since to do so, you have to hold down the R trigger and press a corresponding face button... the problem is, when you're surrounded by enemies, blocking with the Y button (yellow) is super important. for magic-heavy players though, this means when you block, you need to remember to let go of the R trigger -- why? because pressing R and Y cycles through your sets of pre-assigned spells, making it easy to cast magic, block, then suddenly, find that your spell assignments have all changed... in which case, you have to cycle back through however many sets you've assigned to get back into the groove.

it doesn't kill the combat, but i agree with the review that the UI could be vastly improved.

Che could you briefly explain what you like so much about it?

After watching the video review from IGN, ignoring the massive amount of hype, it looks a bit like Nightcaster with character customization.
I also see alot of ideas that remind me of things from Morrowind like having to pay a fine when you get caught stealing.

I dont feel like Fable is doing anything new or revolutionary as was promised.

Sysgen

Kasavins impressions are not of course final, just intial. In the end he may wind up sharing your opinion Che.

As for getting caught and paying a fine. I see nothing wrong with that. This is how Vice City handles it and I like it though I like the way Thief 3 did it, though you only got to do it one time.
That is actually go to prison and break out.
Although after the 50th time of ....., this method would definitely get on your nerves.

Flynn

Be-Ah-Hui said:
Definitely good. I probably won't even be able to replay the game a second time as evil (couldn't do it in KOTOR either).

I wasn't even able to play an evil race in years of playing Everquest (not that race makes much of a difference nowadays). Yes, i'm a goody two-shoes :D

I'm with you. I wince when Pikmin die. I couldn't bring myself to be a dick in Kotor. I'll be playing nice in Fable.

I was also suprised how bad I felt being a basterd in KotOR, I remember being on Tarus, and some guy was being threatend to pay his debt when he didnt have the money, and I killed the thugs, and the old guy was so relieved, and thanked me only for me to demand his money. I felt like such an asshole. I didnt even get off Tarus, stoped playing. But I MUST be good and than evil in Fable. I can do it in GTA!!!!! Damnit, stupid Carth making me feel bad for being an prick :(

~Black Deatha

seismologist said:
Che could you briefly explain what you like so much about it?

After watching the video review from IGN, ignoring the massive amount of hype, it looks a bit like Nightcaster with character customization.
I also see alot of ideas that remind me of things from Morrowind like having to pay a fine when you get caught stealing.

I dont feel like Fable is doing anything new or revolutionary as was promised.

That's some shitty undercover trolling right there. Could someone ban this sucker?

Optimistic said:
That's some shitty undercover trolling right there. Could someone ban this sucker?

LOL, some people are a little over-sensitive about Fable. Believe me, I want the game to be good or else I wouldn't be asking about it :)

Actually I already played it at E3 and made a mental note that Fable is a "buy" I'll probably end up getting it anyway since there's not much else appealing to me right now.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
1093621984.jpg

:lol awesome, i want one.

The review reads ok, only thing that made me roll my eyes through the back of my head was the "wait for: FFXII".

I'm a fan, but a little let down by the reviews so far..

"10-12 hours max to finish off the required quests.TXB" and a Novice around 20 hours...
according to IGN that's including all side quests.

I'm disappointed.. I will still get Fable, but that's too short for someone of my caliber.

I would like to defend Fable, but 10 hours is undependable... especially for a RPG.

Redbeard

Banned
Ghost of Bill Gates said:
I would like to defend Fable, but 10 hours is undependable... especially for a RPG.

Well, if you're going by those reviews, they also say the game is more adventure than RPG. How long are most adventure games?

Ghost of Bill Gates said:
I'm a fan, but a little let down by the reviews so far..

"10-12 hours max to finish off the required quests.TXB" and a Novice around 20 hours...
according to IGN that's including all side quests.

I'm disappointed.. I will still get Fable, but that's too short for someone of my caliber.

blasphemer, ban! :p

actually, from that GMR review confirms my fear. The game sounds more like a Dark Cloud than a Morrowind. It could still be good but not what I was hoping for. Dark Cloud isn't my cup of tea.

Top Bottom