• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Panama Papers - Massive leak of secret documents about offshore companies

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Putin-loving family is gonna have an aneurysm trying to dismiss this as Western anti-Russian propaganda and lies when there's the Poroshenko info as well. Bah, who am I kidding, they'll find a way to rationalize it away.

Cheers man,

How do the drug dealers do it though? As there money is laundered/dirty money.
From what I understand they get money from criminal activity in those companies through fake sales and such (for example write some invoices you have sold a lot of cars or whatever in Russia or Ukraine where it is impossible to check and the money comes from there). Then move it through some companies registered in different countries. The owners of those companies are unclear, so there is no direct tie to the criminals involved. After that just use it for what you want.

I might be simplifying it a little, but basically these companies don't have a clear owner so the money isn't tied to the people involved, which makes their criminal activity with it hard to proof. And then it can be used for legal things like investments and such and the banks can just look the other way without it being illegal.

Irminsul

WEtransfer plus.

I wonder how big the fallout is going to be. Or if mainstream media will start covering it in large.
It's at the top of the frontpage on basically all major European news organisations, often with the most relevant info regarding that country as the key headline. So yes?

DedValve

Banned
It's at the top of the frontpage on basically all major European news organisations, often with the most relevant info regarding that country as the key headline. So yes?

Last I checked a few of the big american outlets haven't covered it at all which is why I said that.

Nickle

Cool Facts: Game of War has been a hit since July 2013
Can't wait for all this criminal activity to be punished with jail time
kappa.png

Madchad

Nothing will come of this. Will just be a big huff and puff for maybe a month then it will be brushed under the carpet so the rich and powerful can get on with life.

Last I checked a few of the big american outlets haven't covered it at all which is why I said that.

American news outlets are run by the people who have these offshore tax shelters, what manes you think they'll cover this in any big way?

It's now the top story on BBC though.

Beefy

Nothing will come of this. Will just be a big huff and puff for maybe a month then it will be brushed under the carpet so the rich and powerful can get on with life.

Nah. The less rich will all get charged etc. But the bigger names will carry on.

Strax

But the PM is from the same party the PM who had to resign during the bank crisis was from, isn't he? Funny how that works.

No, the current PM party was not part of that cabinet. The Minister of Finance was, and is also part of the Panama Papers.

So weird reading about this after watching the excellent Le Carre adaption "The Night Manager" the last couple nights. It's not exactly a parallel but hidden money in offshore accounts factor heavily in the plot. If anyone hasn't started it by the way they should check it out. Great slow burn spy stuff.

I'm really excited for the future with regards to stuff like this. With the proliferation of the internet and high speed networks we're starting to see more and more people leaking information that the elite ruling classes have kept hidden from us for centuries. Hopefully stuff like this will encourage more people to put stuff out there. I don't think we're going to see the sort of punishment that's deserved in a lot of these cases but at some point leaks will reach a critical mass and when the population as a whole (in their respective countries) becomes informed and outraged enough it ought to force politicians and law enforcement to act. It's just unfortunate that this won't happen until people have become fed up enough and made their voices heard

Nah. The less rich will all get charged etc. But the bigger names will carry on.
That's exactly what I'm talking about. I think you're likely right but at some point the populous will get fed up enough to force their representatives to act. Now it just becomes a question of how long that will be

Beartruck

Is it sad that I'm glad that it looks like no major US politicians are involved? I expected half the republican party to be listed in the OP to be honest.

SomTervo

Where can we get the source files? Now that the site is, uh... inundated.

My Google Fu isn't good enough to turn anything up.

Out 1

Lol @ anyone who thought Poroshenko would be good

Well, one thing is to suspect, another to have proof of wrongdoing.

Thanks for the info. Will be an interesting few weeks.

Surely. Putin actually tried to downplay the coming leak in advance. Peskov, Putin's spokesman, released a statement two days ago, saying that whatever's coming is a part of West's conspiracy against his boss. While everyone suspected that it's going to be about offshores, the amount of evidence and the sheer scope of the investigation is staggering.

Beefy

That's exactly what I'm talking about. I think you're likely right but at some point the populous will get fed up enough to force their representatives to act. Now it just becomes a question of how long that will be

Hopefully you are right. But Putin is getting away with it no matter what.

Madchad

Is it sad that I'm glad that it looks like no major US politicians are involved? I expected half the republican party to be listed in the OP to be honest.

This is only ONE company that does such things for the rich and powerful. Just means they do not use it. I would not be surprised if this kind of thing was done on a word of mouth basis which is why a good deal of those listed from this leak are chummy with each other.

Hopefully you are right. But Putin is getting away with it no matter what.

You won't get an argument from me there. What is especially fascinating to me about what I've read so far though is it shines a light on his inner workings. Last I read no one, not even the US government, has any idea how much money he actually has in holdings. This ought to give people a bit of a better idea if I'm understanding it correctly (even though none of it has his actual name on it) about the potential billions he has squirreled away

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Are some people who use offshore structures crooks?
Yes. In a speech last year in Singapore, David Cameron said “the corrupt, criminals and money launderers” take advantage of anonymous company structures.

That's not a nice thing to say about Daddy, Dave.

Phant

This sort of thing has always been joked about, but now we have actual proof. I wonder what is going to happen?

Unconfirmed Member
Nothing will come of David Cameron's father being named. He passed away years ago and it is already common knowledge that he used offshore accounts.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Another quality post from Wafflecakes.
Oh come on. They're probably right, you know. They're not saying it shouldn't matter, only that in the long run, it probably won't. They're pessimistic for a reason. I am too.

I'm going to be the cynic and guess that two things will come out of this: jack and shit. These companies and banks and rich assholes continue to get away with this shit because they are rich enough to give no fucks when caught. Monarchs of their country? Who the fuck is going to touch them? Even rich asshole politicians will get what, slapped with a fine that is insanely small to the billions upon billions that they have made and secreted away?

They do this shit because they know, even if they get caught, that the benefits outweigh the costs. Banks do it all the fucking time, and until the penalties start to actually mean shit, they will continue to do it. And they will continue to destroy countless lives in the process because they know they can and they don't give a shit.
Exactly.

I wish it would be a huge shitstorm and heads would fall, but I just sincerely doubt it. Did the NSA even get a slap on the fingers for what they did after the Snowden reveal? Their reputation might have suffered a bit, but that's about it. Meanwhile, Snowden is the one who suffered the most for whistleblowing the whole thing. I hope the Panama paper leaker(s) are safe, at least.

People might downplay this that "nothing will change", but these kinds of leaks are the proof that is needed to turn "tinfoil conspiracy theorists" into something people take seriously.

Also yikes, the bank I'm using has been actively helping customers set up these tax haven corporations. Looks like I'll have to wait and see if there are any "clean" banks after the dust settles and switch my bank.
You are right that solid evidence does help, but unlike some of the tinfoil conspiracy theories, this stuff wasn't far-fetched or outlandish to begin with. This really has nothing to do with moon landing hoaxes, 9/11 or reptilians and all that. ^^

As for your bank I'm not surprised. A while ago it was revealed that HSBC was involved in money laundering and financing drug cartels and terrorist organizations. Almost no one got prosecuted for it, the fines HSBC got were laughable, and the bank just carries on as if nothing happened. It wouldn't remotely surprise me to learn that other banks are just as dirty as HSBC. :\

sphagnum

Banned
Bernie is probably praying that the Clintons are involved in this somehow.

And then Bernie has offshore accounts...!!!

This sort of thing has always been joked about, but now we have actual proof. I wonder what is going to happen?

Nothing? These offshore tax shelters are strictly legal. That's why they are so widespread among the wealthy. Until the laws change to make them illegal, which they won't because the wealthy make the laws, nothing will happen.

Nokterian

A ton of companies use our country to evade taxes, so this is expected. Wonder who the Dutch persons involved are. We don't really have many rich politicians I think, doubt there is that much going on there.

Still they use it as a tax haven for stuff and i wonder who they are we shall know very quickly in the next coming days is my guess.

Purkake4

Banned
Nothing? These offshore tax shelters are strictly legal. That's why they are so widespread among the wealthy. Until the laws change to make them illegal, which they won't because the wealthy make the laws, nothing will happen.
Isn't this more about how they got the money?

Des0lar

will learn eventually

The Icelandic PM is about to go down so "nothing will happen" ain't the truth this time buddy

Out 1

When you think about it, we now know a whole lot about Putin: daughter, lovers, gifted apartments, money, friends, possible organized crime ties. All revealed in 2015-2016. He's not as good at maskirovka as we thought he is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom