• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Pinball Arcade |OT| play them all from Soho to Brighton

Shaneus

Plus: It's Star Trek, and it's by Steve Ritchie
Minuses: Looks cheap, uses cheap components, based on "new" Star Trek, probably feels like a toy.

For a game that's set in space, how come there's basically ZERO black "space"-ness on the playfield? SMFH. Hopefully it plays better than the rest of the imitation pinball-feeling turds that Stern put out. At least we know the layout itself will be awesome as shit.

The last few seconds raised my interest level many times over.
Steve fuckin' Ritchie.

PS. Interesting they have the manual launcher, esp. considering AC/DC was auto/digital.

Yeah, I'm more interested to see The Hobbit as that starts to shape up. WOZ was cruel as shit when I played it, but it felt REALLY solid.

vg260

Hm, Haunted House. That was in the Microsoft Pinball PC game, right? Hopefully that means Cue Ball Wizard, which was in that game, is likely as well.

Was kinda hoping for Class of 1812 for October.

Jucksalbe

Banned
Seems Pack 15 won't be released on the European PSN this week either. I wonder what went wrong this time.

Edit: Supposedly it's next week.

depths20XX

Sorry if this has been asked, but how come the season 1 and 2 tables icons are greyed out even though I own them all? I can only get to them through "My Tables". Also, that list is a bitch to go through.

Jucksalbe

Banned
Did you buy the season packs or did you get all the tables individually? I guess it's only for those who bought the packs, even though I don't understand why they'd make that an exclusive menu item.

Seems the above was a bunch of bullshit.

Minsc

Gold Member
Sorry if this has been asked, but how come the season 1 and 2 tables icons are greyed out even though I own them all? I can only get to them through "My Tables". Also, that list is a bitch to go through.

Those are menus where you can purchase tables from; purchased tables are found under "My Tables." Since you've purchased all the tables, the menus are empty.

depths20XX

Did you buy the season packs or did you get all the tables individually? I guess it's only for those who bought the packs, even though I don't understand why they'd make that an exclusive menu item.

For season 1 I bought all the packs individually. Then season 2 I bought the first 2 table packs and then bought the season pass.

Seems kinda stupid.

Edit: Ah ok, so that's just where you buy them. Still I would like some kind of sorting either by year or table release or alphabetically or something.

Minsc

Gold Member
Edit: Ah ok, so that's just where you buy them. Still I would like some kind of sorting either by year or table release or alphabetically or something.

Yes, I wish they had a grid view like zen's, and sorting options would be nice too, perhaps even a customizable arrangement. They make really nice, easy to identify small square icons for most tables (the monthly app icon), they'd only have to use those. Then you could access ~50-80 tables on a single screen - match-3 games use this many squares and I have no issue with selecting squares on those. Or even cut it in half for around 40 a screen and just swipe to go to a second page of 40... but I guess that'd be too logical.

depths20XX

A grid could definitely work. Regardless, they need to come up with something because I just realized they will have around 40 tables by the time season 2 is done and that just sounds like a pain to scroll through. Doesn't help when the scrolling is so laggy. At least on Vita, been a while since I played on PS3.

Shaneus

Yes, I wish they had a grid view like zen's, and sorting options would be nice too, perhaps even a customizable arrangement. They make really nice, easy to identify small square icons for most tables (the monthly app icon), they'd only have to use those. Then you could access ~50-80 tables on a single screen - match-3 games use this many squares and I have no issue with selecting squares on those. Or even cut it in half for around 40 a screen and just swipe to go to a second page of 40... but I guess that'd be too logical.
Know what else I'd like? A play count (if it has to be, a count of how many *full* games you've played without rage-quitting). So that way I can concentrate on games I haven't put enough time into.

That reminds me. For the next round of mini tournaments I'll be entering, they'll have a premium Metallica and an actual, real-life CFtBL! Woo!

So, I was wondering, is any table more of a licensing nightmare than Bally's Doctor Who? You have a cast of seven doctors, and multiple companions (at least one per doctor) to get the likeness rights to. Obviously you need the rights to the series, and the music etc. Then you also need to individually license characters and monsters like Davros and the Daleks, the rights to who are owned by Terry Nation's estate, K9, who is owned by Bob Baker, etc etc etc.

I have zero hope of ever seeing it come to TPA, basically. It's not my favorite table, but I'll always have a soft spot for it, and the time expander is a pretty cool gizmo. It's got a really interesting rule set too, that allows for a lot of different strategies.

So, is there anything that's a bigger licensing mess? Genuine question that. I'm curious to know.

jvm

Gamasutra.
It's been a while...
Ok, so the PS Store updates show:

5 Feb 2013: Twilight Zone
12 Feb 2013: Scared Stiff, Big Shot
19 Mar 2013: Star Trek: The Next Generation
26 Mar 2013: Attack from Mars, Genie

I think I have that right. So TZ and TNG both came a week before a normal pack. Maybe same will happen with T2.

Interesting that all these important tables start with T: TZ, TNG, T2, TAF.

Shaneus

Ok, so the PS Store updates show:

5 Feb 2013: Twilight Zone
12 Feb 2013: Scared Stiff, Big Shot
19 Mar 2013: Star Trek: The Next Generation
26 Mar 2013: Attack from Mars, Genie

I think I have that right. So TZ and TNG both came a week before a normal pack. Maybe same will happen with T2.

Interesting that all these important tables start with T: TZ, TNG, T2, TAF.
The Getaway? Oh god, I want that game so much.

AMUSIX

Ha, ok, just poked my head in here after a long while....just wanted to say that Minsc has done a fucking amazing job with the OP...

I guess I should be more active here, been playing the PC Beta a lot...I have to say, I'm beyond disappointed with how cheaply they ported the game to PC. I know Farsight is a tiny team, and the guys have other concerns (like running a town) but everything about the PC version just feels so incredibly cheap.

That said, I keep toying with buying another table...don't really have the room for it, unless I sell the (currently not working) MAME cabinet.

Shaneus

Ha, ok, just poked my head in here after a long while....just wanted to say that Minsc has done a fucking amazing job with the OP...

I guess I should be more active here, been playing the PC Beta a lot...I have to say, I'm beyond disappointed with how cheaply they ported the game to PC. I know Farsight is a tiny team, and the guys have other concerns (like running a town) but everything about the PC version just feels so incredibly cheap.

That said, I keep toying with buying another table...don't really have the room for it, unless I sell the (currently not working) MAME cabinet.
If you have the PC one, aren't you playing all of them?

Shaneus

sorry, I meant a real table. Got six currently.
Ohhhhh. You bastard. Which ones do you have? Which ones are you eyeballing?

If I had to make a wishlist, I'd put down these:

* Taxi
* F-14
* The Getaway (I have a friend who owns this and is willing to lend me a machine, I don't know how much he'd want to lend me that vs. any of his other 30ish he owns)*
* T2 (which he also has, and fuck here's a cheap one as well)
* Indiana Jones (not cheap, though)
* Godzilla (after seeing it for the first time in PAPA 16

*Ungh. Motherfucker.

AMUSIX

Currently have:

Theater of Magic
Star Trek: TNG
White Water
The Shadow
Road Show
Tales of the Arabian Nights

Looking at:

Scared Stiff
Cirqus Voltaire
Indiana Jones TPA
Monster Bash

Shaneus

Wow, can't fault your taste in the slightest.

Though one wonders why you don't splurge for an alphanumeric or two? For the price of a DMD game, hell, you can get two of them :D

But yeah man, damn nice collection. Bastard.

AMUSIX

I like playing the EM's a lot, but to own, I prefer the deeper rulesets of the DMDs. Gives me more to play for than just score. Even if I'm having a crappy game, it still feels good to complete the battlefield in Shadow or pull off a Picard Maneuver in ST.

Shaneus

Fair call, can't argue with you there! I'd prefer a bit of balance between the two, though... something like Funhouse or Taxi I'd think would fit in the middle quite comfortably.

magnetic

I'm such a Lawlor fanboy.

Me too. Whirlwind is the first table I played seriously, back on Pinball Hall Of Fame. I kinda don´t like Funhouse all that much, but TZ or RBION are fantastic.

Story time:

I used to visit a dutch island called Texel with my family some years ago, and they always had a little arcade in the middle of their vacation place with an old Neo Geo cab (running Ninja Combat) and some old Gottlieb pinballs (Class Of 1812, Big Hurt and Barb Wire). Back then I didn't really care for pinball all that much, but enjoyed playing them for a couple of coins.

So we went again last summer. At that time I was really into playing TPA and really looking forward to that little arcade. They had switched out all the machines to my surprise - now they had Guns N Roses and Revenge From Mars, next to Outrunners (which is my favourite arcade racer ever) and a Hang On machine. I went there every single evening. All the machines were a bit beaten up, since it was mostly young kids coming there (remember, vacation center).

2EAM6MX.jpg

On the second to last day I ran out of coins and went to into the big room right next to the smaller one that had the pinball machines, went to the service counter and changed a bill. I turn around, and right there in the corner sits a Addams Family machine in almost perfect condition. IT HAS BEEN SITTING THERE THE WHOLE TIME just a few feet away from the Guns N Roses machine I've been playing every night - hidden behind the wall between the rooms. I assume that the operator was smart enough to place such a legendary table in a more secure place than the other machines.

Man, I must have dumped about 50€ into that thing during the last two nights of my vacation. I'm certain the arcade operator must have been quite happy with the sudden increase of credits in the coinbox that week!

Shaneus

Me too. Whirlwind is the first table I played seriously, back on Pinball Hall Of Fame. I kinda don´t like Funhouse all that much, but TZ or RBION are fantastic.
That's funny... I'm a Steve Ritchie fanboy (with his brother coming a close second, followed by Brian Eddy) and Funhouse is my favourite table not by those guys. Don't really dig the other Lawlor tables at all (well, I like them, but I don't adore them). To me, pinball is about keeping the game in control while it still moves at a decent pace. Lawlor tables (mostly) seem to reward slowing down the ball and aiming shots more than thinking quickly and relying on pure reflexes.

Just me, though. I love all machines equally... just that some I love more than others ;)

PS. Mega brofist on Outrunners! I still get insane goosebumps when I hear the "This is MRS the Mega Radio Station..." via an emulator. My local had 8 biiig-screen (with the car cabinet, IIRC) games, so whenever someone fired up an 8-player game, the whole arcade knew about it. Great sound design in that game.

magnetic

Yeah, Outrunners has a fantastic atmosphere and I'm a sucker for pseudo-3D sprite zooming!

I get what you mean with the slower play in Lawlor tables. His machines tend to be very crammed and stuffy, compared to the more flowing and open tables by Ritchie or Nordman, which I also really enjoy.

It's amazing either way how much variety there is with pinball machines, how many different styles there can be for such a basic concept about two buttons and some silver balls!

AcridMeat

Banned
Just me, though. I love all machines equally... just that some I love more than others ;)
Silly Australian that means they aren't equal eh?

I'm enjoying the PC beta loads still. Space Shuttle is one I've never played before in person, but it's fun as hell! Those sound effects too.

No Good Gophers too.

Yeah, Outrunners has a fantastic atmosphere and I'm a sucker for pseudo-3D sprite zooming!

I get what you mean with the slower play in Lawlor tables. His machines tend to be very crammed and stuffy, compared to the more flowing and open tables by Ritchie or Nordman, which I also really enjoy.

It's amazing either way how much variety there is with pinball machines, how many different styles there can be for such a basic concept about two buttons and some silver balls!

I'm on Team Lawlor too, but when I have less time to sink into a game, I get a real kick out of Richie's faster and more flow based designs.

Shaneus

Interesting Heighway Pinball interview
Key points:
* Dennis Nordman (White Water, Indy 500, Scared Stiff, Demolition Man) working on one of next two machines for HP
* Artwork had been pretty shit and the main bugbear for a lot of people, have employed Doug Watson who did the artwork for The Getaway, T2, F-14, F2K, Black Knight 2000 etc.)
* Next two machines are licensed
* Ruleset for Full Throttle should be 100% complete in 4-6 weeks (as of mid-August)
* Production should be starting mid-October for FT.

So, speculation on what the next two machines could be? I'm guessing that they'd have to be pretty solid UK-based themes (possibly). Although given their popularity, I'm going to guess two potential IPs that *aren't* UK: Breaking Bad and/or Game of Thrones.

My dream would be for a great Futurama one, but I know that'll never happen :(

Minsc

Gold Member
This was kinda funny to see at PAF and a good argument for pre-rendered tables if I ever saw one (I can't wait for that Pro Pinball remake to release):

Pinball table from game 20 years ago:
uzA3FHQ.jpg

Same pinball table in game today:
uaDCY4w.jpg

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
So, basically, Haunted House is Black Hole with a haunted house theme (duh), and an extra level to the playfield, am I getting the gist of it?

So, basically, Haunted House is Black Hole with a haunted house theme (duh), and an extra level to the playfield, am I getting the gist of it?
They're sister tables, for sure, but they play very differently aside from the shared elements. Haunted House was always more fun, to me, but both can be viciously difficult.

A tournament went up for the PS3/Vita versions today it seems, ends on the 24th. Theater of Magic, Cirqus Voltaire, Champion Pub, Dr. Dude, Centaur, Pin-Bot, Space Shuttle, and Whirlwind are in the running.

Top Bottom