• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The PS5 Pro reveal and Geoff Keighley's biases

LakeOf9

Geoff Keighley has aways had a bias for a specific kind of game, you know, the Sony AAA cinematic blockbuster type of game. Those are the games he loves, the ones he likes to show, the ones he thinks should represent the medium.

There is nothing wrong with that. He is a person, he has his preferences. But it is an issue when we hand this person the keys to several important events for video games unilaterally. This is the man who currently organizes Summer Games Fest, Opening Night Live, and The Game Awards:

And I understand that he himself does not decide which games get nominated or which win, but he is the one who decides on the rules for the awards, or what games will be shown off, or which winners get to speak at the show, or even what the categories for awards are.

Is this really the man we want in charge of all these important events? It is obvious he has his biases, he is not even able to keep it in his pants, and it is also obvious those biases influence everything he does. Why do we pay so much attention to his events? Again, I would have no issues with a Sony-favoring Keighley organizing these events if he didn't try to pretend they were universal. But he is ultimately only concerned with a very small slice of games - the AAA cinematic PlayStation style games. So many other universes of video games get very little representation at his events. Mobile gaming is a non-starter. PC gaming is largely ignored by Keighley and his tastes. Nintendo barely gets representation other than their big Mario and Zelda titles.

Again, it's okay for him to have events that reflect his tastes, he is the organizer. I have no problems with that. But is this the person we want representing the industry? He can represent a specific portion of the industry, but all of it?

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
Geoff Keighley has aways had a bias
Sherlock No Shit GIF by Holmes & Watson

Hrk69

Gold Member
Look at the amount of coverage PlayStation and PlayStation adjacent things get at his shows, versus the coverage for a major Xbox or Nintendo or even PC announcement.
That's because Sony pays Geoff for that specific coverage at his shows.

Last edited:

StueyDuck

My OP literally mentions why it matters, he is the sole organizer of THREE major industry events.
So it's illegal for someone to hold an event if they prefer one thing over the other.

I mean even the game awards, who cares.

You think the academy isn't bias?

He just wants Sony to send him some stuff to show at The Games Awards, when you are in his position, you can't always say what you think.

LakeOf9

So it's illegal for someone to hold an event if they prefer one thing over the other.

I mean even the game awards, who cares.

You think the academy isn't bias?
Okay so you haven't actually read the OP, where I have gone in and answered pretty much all of this already.

No point responding to you then.

StueyDuck

Okay so you haven't actually read the OP, where I have gone in and answered pretty much all of this already.

No point responding to you then.
So if someone doesn't agree with you then they are wrong 🤣

Your op doesn't say anything, you just want people to chose your toys team.

Geoff is inconsequential, you say as much in your OP so explain to me why I should be so vividly mad and infuriated right now.

Why don't you call out people who are meant to be considered non bias in journalists.

Ryan mcaffrey, Destin lagarie, jezzy poopoo, Tom Warren, Paul tassi...

Something tells me you are pretty silent in those threads about bias

Again his bias is completely inconsequential to me you are anyone. Except maybe when he hosts a show he might like a Playstation game over another (he's always been a huge Nintendo Stan, no one is mentioning that though)

Darsxx82

Geoff's bias has always been clear... it's just that when Sony needs some kind of help to get out of "troubles" then he no longer even bothers to hide it. Geoff Twitter account could well be a PSBlog.

Last edited:

Soodanim

Awesome, another thread about biases that cherry picks evidence and presents that as the full argument. Can't wait for all the thoughtful confirmation bias to really get this going.

Remember: the people posting things that run counter to the irrefutable truth can safely be ignored.

Look at the amount of coverage PlayStation and PlayStation adjacent things get at his shows, versus the coverage for a major Xbox or Nintendo or even PC announcement.
I'm not trying to defend Geoff or anything but PlayStation announcements are going to bring more of a crowd/viewers then anything Xbox/PC/Nintendo so it would make sense that he gravitates towards it.

There are a few things that would rival it, but they would come from brand specific things like a Direct or Showcase.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Geoff constantly shares all kind of news around the industry on his feed though. Not sure how this is any different.

Hell, the Series X was unveiled at one of his shows.

Exactly! Not sure why people here are trying to say "the refs are cheating".

You don't think that's Microsoft's fault? Didn't MS just show the date of the new Indiana Jones games at one of his events?

EmberMarkus

Neo Member
The man job is to promote different products/projects to take home money and not to make you happy and beg in the street for a sandwich. He promotes the company that pays him without shoving agendas on our throats. You don't like his content then simply ignore him.

Zathalus

Geoff has a bias towards making money. He plays nice with all the industry big wigs so they will throw him a bone for his show.

Based on?
Sony exclusives draw huge numbers. I can't think of anything Xbox that would bring more viewers than a big PlayStation announcement outside of maybe a console announcement like they did with Series X. Nintendo doesn't really announce anything all that huge on anything but their own streams, and I doubt many PC exclusive announcements could make numbers close to something like TLOU 3 or a new God of War outside of maybe HL3 which will most likely never happen.

What I'm getting at is if Geoff loads more PS related stuff then anything else it's because he knows it's gonna bring more numbers. Plus it's not like he's going to be able to get Nintendo to announce a new console at one of his shows.

That being said I don't think Geoff is biased so idk what the OP is on about. I don't particularly care for Geoff all that much, but I don't think he's biased either.

Last edited:

JaksGhost

Based on?
This very forum is filled with PlayStation topics even though Xbox has announced more games, news, and had more showcases this year. Why, because Sony is seen as a monolith in the gaming community along with Nintendo and people are waiting on pins and needles to found out what's next.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Geoff doesnt pick the winners. The winners are chosen by a collection of over 100 critics.

Thats why 99% of the time they pick the same game that wins the most GOTYs.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
Geoff’s career trajectory makes absolutely no sense to me. At some point he went from a man surrounded by Doritos and Mt Dew to a one man E3 (except way worse). How? Why?

I am a big fan of Sydnee tho.

los-angeles-ca-december-8-2022-sydnee-goodman-arrives-at-the-game-awards-2022-held-at-the-microsoft-theater-in-los-angeles-ca-on-thursday-december-8-2022-photo-by-sthanlee-b-miradorsipa-usa-2M0YR70.jpg

LakeOf9

Sony exclusives draw huge numbers. I can't think of anything Xbox that would bring more viewers than a big PlayStation announcement outside of maybe a console announcement like they did with Series X. Nintendo doesn't really announce anything all that huge on anything but their own streams, and I doubt many PC exclusive announcements could make numbers close to something like TLOU 3 or a new God of War outside of maybe HL3 which will most likely never happen.

What I'm getting at is if Geoff loads more PS related stuff then anything else it's because he knows it's gonna bring more numbers. Plus it's not like he's going to be able to get Nintendo to announce a new console at one of his shows.

That being said I don't think Geoff is biased so idk what the OP is on about. I don't particularly care for Geoff all that much, but I don't think he's biased either.
Fair, actually, that's a reasonable explanation. You are correct that of the four options we have, Sony exclusives objectively would draw more views than Xbox or PC ones, and while Nintendo ones might match them, Nintendo would withhold their announcements for their own Directs and streams. That makes sense, and it does make sense that Sony is overrepresented at his shows as a result.

What I would say here then is that his coverage on other platforms where there are no such considerations (such as Twitter) should not be this lopsided. But I definitely see your point of view, and thank you for properly engaging with what I am saying unlike most people in this thread.

Vick

Gold Member
"about new videogame console that was just revealed"
Said videogame console being a $699 complete machine running current gen games at 4K and 60fps (including a GT7 at 8K 60fps), some with even additional RT on top at the same time it seems:

d1fsXLm.png

Being ripped apart left and right in a feeding frenzy of the likes rarely ever seen, probably resulting to a goodbye kiss to any chance of a future "high end console gaming" niche to exist.

Has to be a shill, just like everyone interested in the product's a retard.

Last edited:
Top Bottom