• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The REAL GT5P time trial thread of NOT bouncing off walls

1610uhv.jpg

Thanks to Niks for our new banner!

So, we've already had a mini-TT thread (for those of us who braved the Japanese release) but now that the whole world has access to GT5P, it's time lay our cards on the table and pick the car keys up.

Every two weeks, I'll be posting up a new list of TT challenges, these challenges will be a mixture of Standard/Pro physics, all the tracks and many different car types. Such a shame that they dropped the ability to select tire types, I really enjoyed some of our early super-slippery challenges.

Why two weeks? Well, the thing we noticed in the first thread was that TTing was that we were all vaguely on a similar skill level and it was more of a test of who had the most free time in a single week, rather than who was actually the marginally better driver. Hopefully, a two week period will give ample opportunity for everyone to find enough time for a proper go.

Note: We will be watching the ghosts for faster laptimes, so no cheating.

Challenges Round 1, Ending Sunday May 4th 12pm GMT

Standard Physics

London, Clio V6
1) 0.58.013 (FirewalkR:FirewalkR)
2) 0.58.790 (marvelharvey:marvelharvey)
3) 0.58.903 (Wax Free Vanilla:WaxFreeVanilla)
4) 0.59.441 (Niks:Niks)
5) 0.59.652 (rotaryspirit:rotaryspirit)
6) 1.00.081 (Goldrusher:Goldrusher)
Suzuka, GT-R '07
1) 2.09.101 (FirewalkR:FirewalkR)
2) 2.09.642 (marvelharvey:marvelharvey)
3) 2.11.400 (Wax Free Vanilla:WaxFreeVanilla)
4) 2.12.530 (rotaryspirit:rotaryspirit)
5) 2.13.044 (Goldrusher:Goldrusher)
6) 2.21.821 (Zyzyxxz)
High Speed Ring, Ferrari F430
1) 1.11.990 (FirewalkR:FirewalkR)
2) 1.12.246 (Wax Free Vanilla:WaxFreeVanilla)
3) 1:12.351 (Avaya: Suzukastar)
4) 1.12.569 (marvelharvey:marvelharvey)
5) 1.12.928 (Prelude514)
6) 1.13.432 (rotaryspirit:rotaryspirit)
7) 1.13.688 (Goldrusher:Goldrusher)
8) 1.13.761 (BCD2:Big_Takeover)
9) 1.14.316 (SolidSnakex:SolidSnakeSSx)
10) 1.15.114 (Zyzyxxz)

Pro Physics

Eiger (reverse), Elise '96
1) 1.22.889 (rotaryspirit:rotaryspirit)
2) 1.22.948 (marvelharvey:marvelharvey)
Fuji (with chicane), Ferrari 599
1) 1.53.378 (marvelharvey:marvelharvey)
2) 1.53.410 (rotaryspirit:rotaryspirit)
3) 1.54.084 (Niks:Niks)
Daytona (road course), BMW M3
1) 2.01.152 (FirewalkR:FirewalkR)
1) 2.03.217 (marvelharvey:marvelharvey)
2) 2.03.300 (BCD2:Big_Takeover)
3) 2.03.591 (rotaryspirit:rotaryspirit)

OK, I'm just putting in some banker times, 3 laps for each track and choosing the best. Should give people a target to aim for at least, but they'll be a lot of ground to make up.

So, here's my first one:

High Speed Ring: 1.14.089

PSN ID: marvelharvey

OK, finished my banker times, OP updated.

GAF will be leading these individual-car leader boards very soon, all tracks, apart from High Speed Ring (where the faster drivers are bouncing off walls), have relatively slow 1st place times.

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
Booked marked, but people posting times should really post pictures IMO but PSN verification is good enough :)

Zyzyxxz said:
nice, bookmarked for when my PS3 has internet access again

sent you a friend request btw

Love the banner!

I'll put up some numbers for sure, no matter how competitive or not they may be.

DS3, pro, no aids for me. Not much of a problem on faster tracks, but without TC you need the hands of a surgeon to get the power down at places like Eiger reverse (God damn M3 TT!). I may have to reconsider TC for that track configuration.

I haven't even tried standard physics yet

I only have a couple of cars for these challenges, so I'll need to get cracking. I'll post some times soon though.

PSN -Big_Takeover

avaya

marvelharvey said:
Your DS3 laptime were stunning, I'm fearing what you'll do with a wheel! :eek:

With a wheel I'm better at somethings and worse at others. It's really a wash for me. The competition will be as close as ever.

Goldrusher

First 3 challenges...

London, Clio V6
1.00.081 (Goldrusher:Goldrusher)

Suzuka, GT-R '07
2.13.044 (Goldrusher:Goldrusher)

1.13.688 (Goldrusher:Goldrusher)

I really only played with the Integra on Time Trials so far but I got

Eiger Norwend Integra type R
1:17.901 (Assassin47)

I was ranked 3rd but got bumped to 4...

Grayman

In the banner i'm the guy in 8th place DNF right now :lol

I want to race in sim class but Daytona Road is my weakest course and that is the only one where i own the corresponding car.

I put up a really bad time of 2:4x.xxx(first lap plus lots of sliding) on the leaderboards then failed to get around the track without donuts and parking the car.

By the end of these events i'll probably be done with clearing events and getting my F1.

My first crack at the standard TT challenge:

London, Clio V6
0'59.923 (Wax Free Vanilla:WaxFreeVanilla)

Suzuka, GT-R '07
2.11.400 (Wax Free Vanilla:WaxFreeVanilla)

1.13.696 (Wax Free Vanilla:WaxFreeVanilla)

As I do more laps I'm sure I'll be able to knock a second off each time.

Well, that's my target anyway. :D

Grayman said:
In the banner i'm the guy in 8th place DNF right now :lol

I want to race in sim class but Daytona Road is my weakest course and that is the only one where i own the corresponding car.

I put up a really bad time of 2:4x.xxx(first lap plus lots of sliding) on the leaderboards then failed to get around the track without donuts and parking the car.

By the end of these events i'll probably be done with clearing events and getting my F1.
Earlier I mentioned that I did 3 'banker' laps for each track. While true for the others, I had to do 6 laps of Daytona, just to even register a lap. I was constantly touching the grass or grazing a wall, so well done for making it around! It's a tricky track!

Anyway, OP updated with everyone's times.

avaya

Cursory effort at High Speed Ring F430, 1:12.756 I believe. Room for improvement is immense.

Will have a go at Suzuka in the GTR next and Eiger in the Elise.

First day attacking..

Suzuka, GT-R '07
2.12.530 (rotaryspirit:rotaryspirit)

1.13.432 (rotaryspirit:rotaryspirit)

!!! STEALTH EDIT !!!
2.04.477 (rotaryspirit:rotaryspirit)

GAF is still fast. I thought I had the High Speed Ring, but for the post right above mine -_- :D

Gotta work that.

Daytona Road Course and the BMW are not fun together, but once you get the idea that the BMW will spin its tail at the slightest tap of acceleration in a corner it becomes much more manageable. There's still a whole ton of room to improve, I'm thinking at least 2 seconds worth, but I was getting all shouty and such so this should be OK for right now. I do so want to crack the top 10 on this course though.

My thumbs are little more than ornaments on my hand now.

Wax Free Vanilla said:
London, Clio V6
0'58.903 (Wax Free Vanilla:WaxFreeVanilla)

Tagged the wall a bit, I will improve with a clean lap.

1.12.610 (Wax Free Vanilla:WaxFreeVanilla)
Second run on these circuits. I also used manual instead of auto which resulted in a nice improvement. :D

OP updated.

Sadly a 'champagne bottle opening' incident has left my hand full of blisters. It'll be a few days before I get back behind the wheel and knock some of your times down! :D

2.03.300 (BCD2:Big_Takeover)

There's still a ton of time left on the table.

I was experimenting with TC, and my time was set with it on 2. My previous best was half a second slower with TC off. It's hard to say exactly how much TC was worth because I still hadn't done enough laps to really be consistent at all, but it's worth something for sure.

Using a DS3, I was just looking to take the edge off a bit. At 2 it might take a little too much off. I'm going to try 1 and see if I like that a little better.

Wax Free Vanilla said:
I don't think I can find anymore time with d-pad control.
That's a very good time, pretty much what I was expected for a perfect lap (without doing the 'bounce of the wall trick'). I can't see myself getting past it too quickly, but I'll give you a run for your money! There's a tenth left, at a stretch, even two.

I did a 2:14 on Suzuka with the GTR.

I'll go on the game later and post the official time but I'm sure i can make up a second maybe more.

There are 3 areas of the track that let me down, the first 1-3 corners, the S's, and the final chicane.
I can do each section well, but never all in the same lap.

That car is a Wild Beast with anything but R3's.

avaya

High Speed Ring

1:12.351

I messed up many laps which were 0.3 - 0.4s faster. I'll return to it later, but I don't like the HSR too much.

Since I'm using a Sixaxis, after about 20 minutes of spinning out on Fuji I broke down and turned on traction control. At first I had it on 4, but then I moved it down to 2 and felt that was a bit more responsive. I still swore a lot, but I'll be damned if the Ferrari didn't start responding a lot better. I think my last section is still my weakest and I should do some improvement there, but you guys can see since my ghost is up there and give me some feedback :)

Also, marvelharvey with his stealth time updates! I see that new Daytona time!! You won't fool me!

avaya said:
I messed up many laps which were 0.3 - 0.4s faster. I'll return to it later, but I don't like the HSR too much.

I really don't like the HSR at all. It feels a lot more like a go kart track than an actual raceway.

rotaryspirit said:
Since I'm using a Sixaxis, after about 20 minutes of spinning out on Fuji I broke down and turned on traction control. At first I had it on 4, but then I moved it down to 2 and felt that was a bit more responsive. I still swore a lot, but I'll be damned if the Ferrari didn't start responding a lot better. I think my last section is still my weakest and I should do some improvement there, but you guys can see since my ghost is up there and give me some feedback :)
I think the thing I like most about using a little TC on powerful rwd cars is it allows you to do more quality laps per time spent. If you've got an hour for hot lapping, it's a more productive and enjoyable hour.

No times today, but I think I'll try the 599 tomorrow.

BCD2 said:
I think the thing I like most about using a little TC on powerful rwd cars is it allows you to do more quality laps per time spent. If you've got an hour for hot lapping, it's a more productive and enjoyable hour.

No times today, but I think I'll try the 599 tomorrow.

Exactly. Without it on you can feel the difference in pure acceleration, especially when changing gears, but it isn't stable at all. Each time you press that accelerator button to push on the throttle it's a roll of the dice as to whether you have enough traction to get out of the corner. With TC on, you don't really have to worry so much about it as long as you are gentle with the throttle, and can get on it a little earlier but sacrificing just a little bit of acceleration when changing gears. I think it's only really useful right now for Professional - i haven't tried it on the Standard courses yet though. Speaking of such, my new friend TC and I took a ride to two other places..

Eiger (reverse), Elise '96
1.22.889 (rotaryspirit:rotaryspirit)

2.03.591 (rotaryspirit:rotaryspirit)

Both times are extremely average, but I'm growing to really hate Eiger although I like the Elise. Also hating the BMW, but I don't mind the road course. I had one great run working up, but a tire caught on the grass and that was that. -_-

London, Clio V6
0.59.652 (rotaryspirit:rotaryspirit)

I never really do well at these courses, but I did a few laps here and seemed to get the hang of it, now it's just knocking that last second off by putting everything together. London isn't bad and the Clio is a great choice - not too fast but you stay in the high revs almost the whole course which is fun.

Thanks for catching my mistake on Fuji.

1.53.410 (rotaryspirit:rotaryspirit)

Re HSR: I was looking forward to this track more than anything, but I'd forgotten how bring it was. Fun for beginners but there doesn't seem to be a huge challenge involved. The only thing I like is that the faster line isn't exactly obvious.

Re Eiger: My weakest circuit, 3 banker laps was enough, but now rotaryspirit has pipped my abysmal laptime, I'll have to give it another go. Odd, I find the DS3 to result in faster lap times on this track... and I think Avaya will testify that too. I seem to remember Eiger being his strongest.

Re Daytona: Again, I find the DS3 results in faster laps here. When using a wheel, the slightly curved approaches to turns seem to leave me with 1% of steering lock on, resulting in a longer braking distance. With the DS3, I can brake in a perfectly straight line.

I still wish we could try other tire types. In our last round (for the JPN release), lapping on Suzuka East in the Corvette with Pro physics and on N1s was seriously challenging. And I also miss the flat out fun of R3s. S2s just seems to be a boring middle ground, where neither the masochists or 'normal people' are 100% happy.

I can see why they have the tire types set though. Other than having to sort through a whole extra variable, this gives everyone a level playing field. I'd like the option, but I can see for TA to have the same set of tires.

Also I'm sooooo slow in standard physics. *sigh*

Grayman

I did a 2'10.190 on Daytona Road. DFP/Cockpit view. I was beating it by a second or two on the next lap but I lost control of the car on the straightaway/corner at the end of the lap.

9) 2.10.190 (Grayman:Grayman222)

Eiger is probably a lot faster with the controller. It's 3 corners aren't fun with a wheel. I am tempted to hand brake them but can't do it with the wheel.

avaya

marvelharvey said:
Re Eiger: My weakest circuit, 3 banker laps was enough, but now rotaryspirit has pipped my abysmal laptime, I'll have to give it another go. Odd, I find the DS3 to result in faster lap times on this track... and I think Avaya will testify that too. I seem to remember Eiger being his strongest.

I still wish we could try other tire types. In our last round (for the JPN release), lapping on Suzuka East in the Corvette with Pro physics and on N1s was seriously challenging. And I also miss the flat out fun of R3s. S2s just seems to be a boring middle ground, where neither the masochists or 'normal people' are 100% happy.

I just like Eiger. Driving around the Swiss Alps, reminds of good times I had when visiting friends there. DS3 is faster for Eiger on R3's and standard physics. Professional...the wheel will be faster always. Lowenhart had some utterly ridiculous times on it from the JPN Prologue SpecI, I was 0.5s slower than him in the GTR. Where he gets the 0.5s is unfathomable. Hopefully trek450 makes his Eiger debut this time around.

I can't split between Eiger and Suzuka for my strongest track. My lap time at Suzuka depends on Spoon. I am very poor at that corner. I like watching your laps on London, you seem to have the correct rhythm for it.

Agreed about the tyre issue.

FirewalkR said:
WHAT IS THIS THREAD I hadn't seen this yet :O

Seems like I have work to do later tonight.

Thread, prepare to be blown away.

FirewalkR

Suzuka, GT-R '07
2.09.101 (FirewalkR:FirewalkR)

Come on Marvel do more than 3 laps :p Lots of mistakes, beat this crap.

Avaya, get that G25 rollin'!:D

Edit: just read about your "accident" Marvel, damned champagne bottles! :lol

I'm waiting >:)

Edit 2:

Entry speed could have been faster and first corner too, lost about 0.2 just there... trajectories are hard to find in standard mode, you can just turn the wheel like hell and push the throttle in some areas and it'll be as fast as a "clean" trajectory would be. Hell of a lap you guys got with the d-pad :)

Edit 3:
London, Clio V6

Could have been 57, and it shouldn't be too difficult.

Top Bottom