• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The REAL GT5P time trial thread of NOT bouncing off walls

FirewalkR said:
Come on Marvel do more than 3 laps :p Lots of mistakes, beat this crap.
I was shocked that my banker lap remained up at the top for 5 days... until you came along! Actually, was surprised that SuzukaStar/Avaya hasn't given it a shot.

Secondly, damn you for turning up! I should be spending my valuable free time on important businessy things, but having a TT time to beat while I'm trying to work, is just do distracting. I gotta put that pen down and get back in the seat to be no.1!:D

I definitely want to get in on this, PSN: HerrHelmt.

I'll have to see what cars I have to match the ones gaf is using.

Is there a way for us to share ghost data?

Goldrusher

MickeyKnox said:
I definitely want to get in on this, PSN: HerrHelmt.
What?

MickeyKnox said:
I'll have to see what cars I have to match the ones gaf is using.
What?

There are 1704 time trial combos possible. This thread is NOT meant to post your own lap times. Read the OP.

FirewalkR

marvelharvey said:
And FirewalkR hasn't even started the Pro challenges yet!

I still have to get the cars for those. But as I remember it, both you and Avaya were faster than me at Fuji, you were faster at Daytona Road, and Avaya was faster at Eiger. :lol
It was also a coincidence that the 3 standard combos were in the tracks that I'm most used to, London, Suzuka (i'm also pretty familiar with Suzuka East) and the HSR.

marvelharvey said:
Kind of. If a GAFfer gets into the worldwide top-ten (I'm looking at FireWalkR), then we can download their ghost.

Argh! I totally forgot to save my HSR ghost. :/ The first time I beat the laptimes in the OP, I attempted to improve it, and I noticed when looking at the ghost, that I had touched the wall in the last corner, very slightly (I'd thought I didn't touch it when I did that lap lol), which was enough to put me in the right trajectory. I had to do probably 20 laps just to beat that with a fully clean lap, and I didn't remember that since I wouldn't be in the top 10 there would be no ghost upload. I'll try and beat it again, or do a similar laptime, and I'll save the ghost. I think we can just copy them to an USB drive and upload it somewhere.

S. L.

oh boy you guys are fast.
ill train hard so i can post some non-embarassing times too
are you all driving with a wheel or also with controllers?

FirewalkR

Daytona (road course), BMW M3

This sucks, assuming physics didn't change much from the original jpn GT5P, where both I and Marvel had 2.00.xx. I keep making mistakes in one place or another, so I give up for now. :)

S. L. said:
are you all driving with a wheel or also with controllers?

At least I and Marvelharvey are using wheel, and avaya has been using the Sixaxis even though he should be using his G25. :p

FirewalkR

rotaryspirit said:
When you say this sucks, you realize how embarrassing that is for the rest of us right? :lol :lol

It's a good lap, but could be better. :) It's just that we had better times in the jpn version, and I know I did some mistakes.

avaya

marvelharvey said:
I was shocked that my banker lap remained up at the top for 5 days... until you came along! Actually, was surprised that SuzukaStar/Avaya hasn't given it a shot.

Secondly, damn you for turning up! I should be spending my valuable free time on important businessy things, but having a TT time to beat while I'm trying to work, is just do distracting. I gotta put that pen down and get back in the seat to be no.1!:D

I promise you this weekend I will hit up Suzuka. Work has been a bitch all week for me and with a wheel in the flat suddenly everyone wants to play Gran Turismo. Thank god for GTA4 next week.

S. L.

while i only picked up gt5p yesterday, Firewalkers times are inhuman :lol :lol
i just did about 200 laps time trial in london with the clio... best i could do was a lousy 1:00:xx, more than 2 seconds difference X_X
now my wrists hurt

FirewalkR said:
It's a good lap, but could be better. :) It's just that we had better times in the jpn version, and I know I did some mistakes.
Wow, I just raced your Suzuka ghost. You're right, full of mistakes in sector one but the rest of the lap is 'clean' but not perfect, especially spoon exit. Saying that, I wasn't able to put a clean lap together either :D I did manage to be a 5-6 car lengths ahead at 140R but then put a slither of tyre off the road at the chicane and was penalised :( a 2.08.xxx is very possible.

Anyway, only managed 25 mins this morning, hopefully I'll have some more free time on Tuesday. Speaking of which, I wish PD would add a feature that would register the no. of laps people had to do to achieve their laptimes, would be nice to see how effortless this is for some people and what a nightmare of wasted time it might be for others.

marvelharvey said:
Anyway, only managed 25 mins this morning, hopefully I'll have some more free time on Tuesday. Speaking of which, I wish PD would add a feature that would register the no. of laps people had to do to achieve their laptimes, would be nice to see how effortless this is for some people and what a nightmare of wasted time it might be for others.

That's just cruel and unusual punishment. :lol It took me about 11 laps to hit up the London time consecutively, but tracks like Suzuka and such I'll always take a break after a few laps. I tend to like to restart after a big spinout and such. I was hoping for a "time played" counter somewhere though, which would have been nice. Or maybe a "total kilometres driven" stat :D

avaya

marvelharvey said:
Wow, I just raced your Suzuka ghost. You're right, full of mistakes in sector one but the rest of the lap is 'clean' but not perfect, especially spoon exit. Saying that, I wasn't able to put a clean lap together either :D I did manage to be a 5-6 car lengths ahead at 140R but then put a slither of tyre off the road at the chicane and was penalised :( a 2.08.xxx is very possible

130R!

FirewalkR

marvelharvey said:
Wow, I just raced your Suzuka ghost. You're right, full of mistakes in sector one but the rest of the lap is 'clean' but not perfect, especially spoon exit. Saying that, I wasn't able to put a clean lap together either :D I did manage to be a 5-6 car lengths ahead at 140R but then put a slither of tyre off the road at the chicane and was penalised :( a 2.08.xxx is very possible.

Must have been around half an hour for Suzuka too. London probably the same... because I tried to optimize, I wanted 57, I'll try again. :) HSR must have been at least one hour. The problem there was that I got to 1st in this ranking with an unclean last corner, and then had to do 20 laps or more to get a clean lap. Now, yesterday at Daytona... I must have raced for about 2 hours and didn't get a 2.00.xx, which is mainly the reason I say that sucked. :) I beat your banker lap in my 2nd lap. My 2nd _clean_ lap, that is! :lol And that's why it took so long, I screwed up a lot in both the 1st corner and the chicane. After a while I stopped missing the braking point in the chicane but I'd still go into the sand or "shortcut" from time to time. And most of these mistakes were due to bad downshifting and trajectory, meaning I would start braking at the same spot but would screw up the downshift timing and the moment I started turning. This track has another problem, though. When you start the time trial, the car is too close to the beginning of the lap and either you do a full lap before to gather speed, or come back to the chicane, and start from there, which is what I did. This slight delay, coupled to the frequent mistakes, resulted in lots of invalid laps, and since it's such a long track, 2 hours lol. Still, I did a 2.01.3x lap about half an hour before my best lap, where I came out too slow from the chicane. That would have got me a 2.00... sometimes you need a bit of luck. :)

For all the people that say these are unbelievable times... it's just the result of experience. I played a lot of Live for Speed on the PC and there I considered myself to be "above average". I know LFS players that would undoubtedly do this kind of laptimes _lap after lap_. Those guys are usually called "aliens" by the rest of the LFS community. :lol

PS:I had this post ready to send since about 2 hours ago, but I changed tabs in the browser and forgot about it lol.

Edit: Spyshagg is another fast racer, seems like he didn't see this thread yet so I pm'ed him. He should be able to equal or beat my laps. :) (yes, I like to put people under pressure :D)

avaya

marvelharvey said:
Doh... and I probably live closer to the circuit than anyone else on GAF.

By the way, I think FirewalkR has scared everyone off :lol

I remember it was just me you, seattle and Goldrusher left in the original thread after Ayrton...er FirewalkR decided to take part :lol

I finally got a lap in at Suzuka after fighting my flatmates away from the PS3, just a solitary lap of 2:10.823.

I miss the N challenges!

FirewalkR

I'll try the ones I'm missing, but I still have to buy the cars. Nothing a few laps of the F40 event won't fix. :)
I'd better do it today... coz tomorrow... GTA4. :D

Top Bottom