• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The reunited Beach Boys release first new single in decades; new album June 5th

Status
Not open for further replies.

thefro

The Beach Boys - "That's Why God Made the Radio"

Album is titled "That's Why God Made the Radio", same as the first single. Drops June 5th.

The 2012 Lineup

Brian Wilson: The songwriter/producer/arranger for the group and all-around musical genius. Pretty much lost his mind in the early 70s but has made a substanial recovery over the last 15 years (although not a complete one). Never lost his songwriting talent. In good vocal shape for being 70. Played bass and shared lead vocals with Mike Love in the original group

Mike Love: Uncle of NBA All-Star and FIBA Gold Medalist Kevin Love. Follower of Transcendental Meditation and claims to have played saxophone on "Kokomo". The original lead singer and lyricist for the group

Al Jardine: Rhythm Guitarist and harmony vocalist and also somewhat of a songwriter. Most famous for "Help Me Rhonda".

David Marks: The "Lost Beach Boy", was a member of the group for its first 4 studio albums. Left the group because he was tired of Murray Wilson's abuse; his own group the Marksmen was blackballed in the industry by Murray. Rockin' surf guitarist in the vein of Dick Dale.

Bruce Johnston: Singer/Songwriter. Joined the band as Brian Wilson's replacement in 1965 when he gave up touring and joined the band in studio starting with "California Girls". Wrote "I Write the Songs".

Brian's two younger brothers, Dennis Wilson (drums/vocals) and Carl Wilson (lead guitar/vocals) are the deceased original members of the band.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/th...o-be-released-june-5-by-capitolemi-2012-04-25

Hollywood, California – April 25, 2012 – The founding members of The Beach Boys, one of the world’s most legendary bands in popular music history, have reunited for a global 50th Anniversary celebration, including a new album release, a major international tour, and commemorative catalog releases. Today, The Beach Boys announce details about their new studio album, That’s Why God Made The Radio, to be released June 5 by Capitol/EMI.

Beach Boys Brian Wilson, Mike Love, Al Jardine, Bruce Johnston, and David Marks recently completed their recording sessions at Los Angeles’ Ocean Way Studios for That’s Why God Made The Radio, the band’s 29th studio album (including 2011’s The SMiLE Sessions), the first in decades to feature all of the band’s surviving original members. Produced by Brian Wilson and executive produced by Mike Love, the album’s 11 new songs illustrate The Beach Boys’ unique and evocative West Coast story with the band’s timeless signature sound.

“Radio was my whole education,” says Brian Wilson. “Chuck Berry, Rosemary Clooney, The Four Freshmen, Phil Spector, Little Richard... To hear ‘That’s Why God Made The Radio’ on the radio would be a thrill beyond belief, it really would. It would be a thrill beyond belief.”

“I got a lot of my appreciation for all of the creativity in the world, in terms of music, through the radio,” says Mike Love. “For all of us who grew up in the ‘50s, ‘60s, ‘70s and beyond, the radio has played such a huge, important part in our lives. When we were kids, we’d sneak out of the house and go and sit in Brian’s car and listen to the local radio stations on his car radio.”

The album’s other new songs include “Think About The Days,” “Isn’t It Time,” “Spring Vacation,” “Private Life Of Bill And Sue,” “Shelter,” “Daybreak Over The Ocean,” “Beaches In Mind,” “Strange World,” “My Life Suite,” and “Summer’s Gone.”

The Beach Boys’ collaborative approach to writing and recording their new music is evidenced throughout the album, with all of the band members participating to create its glorious harmonies, lyrics, and arrangements.

They released a new version of "Do It Again" a few months ago, which might be a bonus track on the album depending on the retailer.

Do It Again - 50th anniversary edition
"Sizzle Reel" for new single

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
The sizzle reel suggests that they had no trouble getting back into the groove. The song doesn't really do a whole lot for me, but it's very obviously a Beach Boys tune and if you played it in a playlist with other B-sides, I wouldn't immediately recognize this as being from 2012 versus 1970.

Zebra

The new single definitely sounds safe. Nothing particularly interesting.

Hopefully Brian Wilson still has some creative juices in him, I'm looking forward to hearing the rest of the album. Maybe there will be a real gem in it.

Peru

It's safe but actually quite good! It's grown on me since I first heard those snippets. Not a new classic but would fit nicely as an old album track. It's not like they stopped on a peak back then, so why not make some new catchy music?

Tim-E

Single is completely safe, like Kokomo was. I doubt we'll see anything risky or truly creative from this new album. I expect it to just be a sort of nostalgic look at pre-Pet Sounds Beach Boys; so pretty much what they've been doing since the late 70s.

Brian Wilson looked like he wanted to off himself during the Grammy performance. This could be a train wreck.

And yeah they'll obviously be doing the safe shit, wouldn't want any more columnated ruins domino arguments. If you liked Kokomo then this will be the Beach Boys album for YOU!

Peru

That's why I'm not going to the tour, but I'll still enjoy catnip like this.

I think the important part here is the harmonies sound real good.

thefro

Single is completely safe, like Kokomo was. I doubt we'll see anything risky or truly creative from this new album. I expect it to just be a sort of nostalgic look at pre-Pet Sounds Beach Boys; so pretty much what they've been doing since the late 70s.

They haven't had a productive Brian Wilson since the early 1970s

Album is supposed to end with a Pet Sounds/Smile inspired 7-minute suite that Brian Wilson composed. It's sounding like it's going to be a good mix of the different sides of the band.

So glad this album was made, and is coming out now. It does get better with every listen. The only song I really don't care for is PCH. "From There to Back Again" is sooooooo good for a Pet Sounds fan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom