• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Rise and Fall of Saints Row

an hour-long video about a car crash? hell, if i wanted to watch something like that i could just look out my window...

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
A long video summed up in a few sentences:

They used to make games that were dumb and fun. Then they tried to make a game that was just dumb and insulting.
I just finished watching it and It sort of felt like despite acknowledging that Volition alienated the established fanbase with the zoomer character power fantasy and releasing a poorly reviewed game in the end they seemed to chalk it up to the industry's desire for growth and consolidation. That's disappointing, because has Volition delivered a game fans of the franchise could relate to Embracer may not have shut them down.

Faust

Perpetually Tired
I just finished watching it and It sort of felt like despite acknowledging that Volition alienated the established fanbase with the zoomer character power fantasy and releasing a poorly reviewed game in the end they seemed to chalk it up to the industry's desire for growth and consolidation. That's disappointing, because has Volition delivered a game fans of the franchise could relate to Embracer may not have shut them down.

Sadly. I didn't expect them to actually discuss the real reasons in depth of why the game failed. Can't touch criticize the ideology too much otherwise they may be cancelled.

Jesb

It had its moment in the sun. I didn’t really think it was a franchise that had the longevity of others. There’s many other dead franchises that deserved a better fait but are no longer around.

Laptop1991

I'm a big fan of Saints Row 2 and 3, i played 4 but the superpowers slightly ruined it for me, but the recent game wasn't good and it's a shame the studio got shut down, all they had to do was make a SR game like 2 and 3 and i think the game would have sold decent numbers and been received well.

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
SR2 was a brilliant game. The rest of the series was kinda meh. For all the hate the new game got 3 and 4 weren't exactly masterpieces series was on a downward spiral which reached its natural conclusion

Last edited:

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I don’t need to watch the video, but I do want to say that last Saints Row game is easily in the top three worst game I’ve ever played.

I’m not exaggerating. Saints checks off every possible low note. Unlikable characters, an absurd premise (especially with those characters), bad dialogue, piss poor combat, and mediocre graphics.

Spyxos

Gold Member
It used to be a great series until part 4, after that it wasn't all that interesting anymore.

Is this guy a real human? He sounds like these ai generated voices.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
A long video summed up in a few sentences:

They used to make games that were dumb and fun. Then they tried to make a game that was just dumb and insulting.
I never played SR games.

But my impression (maybe I'm wrong) is that the old SR games were like B-tier GTA kinds of games with more action. If someone didn't like GTA or didn't want to wait years for it, SR fills the gap.

But then they changed it up to a big bright coloured Fortnite party fest action game with obvious political slants to it.

Considering GTA games take forever to come out, they would had sold more copies if they stuck to their original formula, improved each sequel and release a new game every 3 years.

danklord

Gold Member
Agents of Mayhem is what broke the company. After Jaros left it was a passion project by remaining talent and it just wasn't the same. They then over-corrected by trying to reboot Saints Row and here we are.

JayK47

I am playing this now and I am actually enjoying it. It really helps that I got it for free and my expectations started off very low. The setting is really nice, and I like that I can customize the hangout and vehicles. The main characters are not great, but I was never a super fan of any of the characters from the first 4 games besides Shaundi. Neenah is ok so far.

wondermega

I never played SR games.

But my impression (maybe I'm wrong) is that the old SR games were like B-tier GTA kinds of games with more action. If someone didn't like GTA or didn't want to wait years for it, SR fills the gap.

But then they changed it up to a big bright coloured Fortnite party fest action game with obvious political slants to it.

Considering GTA games take forever to come out, they would had sold more copies if they stuck to their original formula, improved each sequel and release a new game every 3 years.
This is my thinking as well. Way back in the day this seemed like a pretty shameless GTA ripoff, and that was a bit of a thing you would see back then - but it seemed like a pretty above-average one, well-made and let you do some things that probably couldn't really get way with in ACTUAL GTA. And it seemed like it worked! They outlasted a few of the other games of its ilk - and makes one scratch their head, "why didn't they just stick with this?" Didn't the bean counters look at what was working and say "just keep doing more of these," rather than "it ain't broke so let's DEFINITELY screw with it!"

Yeah, I am sure egos, team chemistry changes, and money all played a part. Too bad.

JayK47

I think I like this game more than Saints Row The Third and for sure the fourth shit game. I am at least laughing more when playing this game. The main character is funny to me, while other characters really are not. The game world is very detailed and well done. Lots of unique buildings. One of the side activities is taking photos of unique buildings and items. That is fun. Being able to modify most everything is nice. You get to basically make your own missions depending on what you build in the city.

I am playing this now and I am actually enjoying it. It really helps that I got it for free and my expectations started off very low. The setting is really nice, and I like that I can customize the hangout and vehicles. The main characters are not great, but I was never a super fan of any of the characters from the first 4 games besides Shaundi. Neenah is ok so far.

Bruh, is Keith David a joke to you?

Am I the only one in the thread that considered the first three installments juvenile and amateurish while enjoying the fourth for its tongue in cheek parody of sci-fi and video game cliches?

Last edited:
You are the only one
nicolas cage shrug GIF

bender

What time is it?
The first two games were fucking amazing. They fucked up with the super hero bullshit of the third and that's where I lost interest.

The first game kind of felt like it lacked confidence and was an also ran GTA knock-off. The second game felt like it Violation knew the direction they wanted to take their open world, crime sandbox and fully committed to being absurd. It's my favorite in the series. The third game felt like it blew its' load with the opening mission and the didn't know how to top itself which plagued the following sequel as well. I mostly agree with your take though.

Top Bottom