• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Robot Spider of the Battlefield Assault Heroes 2 Official Thread

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
The Header:

http://www.xbox.com/NR/rdonlyres/9AB8CA57-8F4E-41A7-8168-99124C5969B9/0/bannerdefault.jpg

What is Assault Heroes 2?

Jump back into the action with Assault Heroes 2, sequel to the award-winning arcade shooter, exploding with more intense combat! Battle on land and in space to save mankind against the sinister alien force before it’s too late.

Game Features

* Enhanced Multiplayer Co-op – Quickly activate improved cooperative weapons to rain destruction on hordes of bazooka soldiers, kamikaze bombers and more
* Hi-jackable Enemy Units – Steal the attack helicopter, armored tank or mechanical walker from the enemy base for surprise attacks
* More Powerful Weaponry – Utilize a superior arsenal of weapons including the newly designed sub-zero ice cannon, homing missiles, rocket launcher and upgraded firearms from the original
* Frantic On-Foot Action – Survive on-foot warfare while equipped with all your weapons in expansive underground areas
* Monstrous Bosses – Face-off against challenging mechanoid beasts before they destroy you
* New Diverse and Interactive Environments – Blast through the Snowy Mountains, Rainforest and Outer Space with extensive destructible terrain from burning trees to shattering buildings

Price: 800 Microsoft Points
Rating Teen
Publisher Sierra Online
Developer Wanako Games
Category Action

Release Date:

Assault Heroes 2 Confirmed for May 14th

Just in time for summer gaming action, Assault Heroes™ 2, the much-anticipated sequel to IGN.com's 2006 Xbox LIVE® Arcade game of the year, is geared up to invade Xbox LIVE Arcade on May 14th.

Re-envisioned for an even more action-packed arcade shooter experience, Assault Heroes 2 expands its horizons into outer space. New features also include hi-jackable enemy vehicles, more levels and enhanced on-foot and co-operative gameplay modes. Whether attacking on foot or piloting all-new spacecraft, players will enjoy optimum mobility in the most dangerous situations.

Developed by Wanako Studios, Assault Heroes 2 will be available for 800 Microsoft Points on Xbox LIVE® Marketplace for the Xbox 360 on May 14, 2008.

Previews:

IGN XBOX 360

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/869/869312p1.html

Gamezone

http://xbox360.gamezone.com/gzreviews/p34941.htm

1up.com

http://www.1up.com/do/previewPage?cId=3167599&p=4

Gamespot

http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/action/assaultheroes2/news.html?page=1&sid=6190032

Video:

XBOX 360 Fanboy

http://www.xbox360fanboy.com/2008/04/30/assault-heroes-2-video-extravaganza/

Gametrailers.com

http://www.gametrailers.com/game/6408.html

IGN XBOX 360

http://media.xbox360.ign.com/media/142/14237550/vids_1.html

Screenshots:

945399_20080430_screen002.jpg

945399_20080430_screen011.jpg

http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/2008/120/945399_20080430_screen015.jpg

[IMG]http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/2008/120/945399_20080430_screen019.jpg

Achievements
http://inside.mygamercard.net/2008/04/02/achievements-for-assault-heroes-2/

Moby Dick
Single Player: Destroy the Mecha Orca.

Hot-wired
Single Player: Capture all 3 hijackable vehicles at least once.

Pyromaniac
Single Player: Burn 50% of infantry in any Zone: Medium or Hard difficulty in one session.

Ice Cold
Single Player: Freeze 50% of infantry in any Zone: Medium or Hard difficulty in one session.

Assault Flags
Single Player: Collect all of the Flags scattered throughout the game.

Fearless
Single Player: Complete 3 sequential areas on foot: Medium or Hard difficulty in one session.

Wonder twins
Zone Battle: Use all 4 Co-Op attacks, kill 10 units with each: Medium or Hard in one session.

Zoned Out
Zone Battle: Complete 6 Zones, each with the help of a different LIVE enabled friend. 20

Escapist
Zone Battle: Defeat all spaceships in Areas 29 & 30: Medium or Hard difficulty in one session.

Smoothie Heroes
Co-op Campaign: Kill 100 infantry, one player freezes & the other shatters, on Hard in one session.

Underground Hunters
Co-Op Campaign: Finish all underground areas with the help of a friend: Medium or Hard difficulty.

Heroes Campaign
Co-Op Campaign: Complete all areas on Hard difficulty with the help of a friend.

Reviews:

IGN XBOX 360: 8.5. Editor's Choice

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/873/873432p1.html

TeamXbox, 7 out of 10

http://reviews.teamxbox.com/xbox-360/1504/Assault-Heroes-2/p1/

Teknoman

Darkpen said:
for a moment, I thought this thread was going to be about that creepy quadpedal robot.

GEKKO's irl ftw.

Also i'll check out the second game, though I am getting tired of having these types of shooters with microscopic characters. Want some Contra sized/style action for once.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Jump Back Into the Action With "Assault Heroes 2," Exploding Onto Xbox LIVE Arcade This Wednesday!

"Assault Heroes 2," sequel to the award-winning action extravaganza, "Assault Heroes," ramps up the excitement on Xbox LIVE Arcade this Wednesday, May 14, 2008 at 9:00 a.m. GMT (1:00 a.m. PDT).

"Assault Heroes 2" reveals that the original enemy in "Assault Heroes" is merely a pawn of a more sinister force, which players must now seek out and destroy. Armed with stronger weaponry and the ability to hi-jack more powerful enemy units, players must prepare to face relentless enemies and outrageous bosses in climactic battles, including an all-out skirmish in outer space.

In the sequel, players can experience the full fury of war outside of the safety of their vehicle with even more intense on-foot gameplay, where increased firepower and the new dodge roll feature are necessary to survive. Players can choose to fight alone or battle with a friend using the enhanced two-player cooperative mode. Either way, players will travel through diverse and interactive environments on land and in space to overcome the newest enemy and save mankind.

Developed by Sierra Online, "Assault Heroes 2" will be available worldwide for 800 Microsoft Points and is rated T for Teen by the ESRB. For more details on "Assault Heroes 2" please visit:

GhaleonEB

LakeEarth said:
After the Mutant Storm Empire fiasco, I'm not getting this until I'm sure its worth it.
I'll play the demo first this time around; MSE was indeed a huge disappointment. But it sounds great. I listened to the interview on Major Nelson's show earlier today and it sounds like they kept the core gameplay the same and expanded on it. If the demo is good, I'll grab this in an instant.

Gowans

just checked out the demo and seems like more of the same with isn't a bad thing as I really enjoyed the first.

It has a new ice weapon, nukes, vehicle switching and parts of the level where you need to get through on foot (with a nice little dodge move).

got so much work to do today but I've picked up the full version, guess I can put in a checky hour, anyone up for a co-op run let me know.

Rlan

Gowans007 said:
just checked out the demo and seems like more of the same with isn't a bad thing as I really enjoyed the first.

It has a new ice weapon, nukes, vehicle switching and parts of the level where you need to get through on foot (with a nice little dodge move).

got so much work to do today but I've picked up the full version, guess I can put in a checky hour, anyone up for a co-op run let me know.

I'll do some Coop with you tomorrow if you're up for it. It's Midnight already here :\

Gowans

Rlan said:
I'll do some Coop with you tomorrow if you're up for it. It's Midnight already here :\

sounds good, there's some new co-op battle mode too.

Just been playing a little and I think its gotten tougher or im just a little rusty also I love whipping around in the hellicopter, it will be a right race for that in co-op.

S1kkZ

finished it, took me about 2.5 hours (could be more, played on easy).

positive:

-level 4 is awesome
-the on-foot levels are much better
-its longer (wich is also negative)
-better visuals (but less color full)
-music
-spaceship

negative:

-the new vehicles are almost useless, the buggy is always the better way to go
-only one new weapon (ice thrower)
-the last two levels are waaaaaaay to long and boring

its more a.h. 1.5. if you liked the first one, buy it. but dont expect too much.

soldat7

This is a great sequel in my opinion. The on-foot sections are better, the game is harder, and the new vehicles (the ones I've tried: Tank and Helicopter) are fun.

Great game but if you didn't like the first one then there's nothing here that will win you over.

GhaleonEB

I got a kick out of the demo just now. I'll pick it up this weekend. The vehicle controls were a lot snappier, with a faster, smaller turning radius. Same sense of humor and lots of stuff blowing up. Seemed like a nice evolution on the first.

Vaxadrin

Banned
I finally got a chance to sit down and play this. This game rocks. It seems way harder than the first one; almost seems like the west's answer to bullet hell shooters at times.

The music & visuals are fantastic. Like, really good.

I hope this one gets the love it deserves. People might still be too wrapped up in GTA4.

JdFoX187

Banned
I loved the first Assault Heroes, easily my top XBLA game ever. And this one doesn't fail to disappoint. Absolutely better in every conceivable way. Good stuff.

Rlan

I've been going through Assault Heroes 2 over the weekend - I'm at Area 14 (of 30)

Tell you what - this game is loooong. To the point where it's actually detrimental, really. A single "Area" (in which there are 5 to every Level / Zone) are really long - it feels like 10-15 minutes between each. And if you lose all your lives at the end of one, you have to do it again. It's a little frustrating. I'm playing on Medium

Anything on foot is a pain in the arse too. Apparently they "fixed" this from the first (I never really played it) but it's still pretty sucky. The "indoor" extras are quite difficult and your only incentive is an extra life at the end - in which you'll probably lose 1 or 2 through it anyhow.

Some points you find yourself screwed if you don't have the right weapon or vehicle. In 13 there is a long period where there are a lot of enemies, and if you miss or destroy the tank early you're basically fucked.

I think the sound is pretty crap too - at least the mixing. There isn't any crunchy sound effects, killing a giant boss isn't nearly as epic without some big explosions or something.

I'll try and finish it but it's taking a lot longer than I thought it would.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Rlan said:
I've been going through Assault Heroes 2 over the weekend - I'm at Area 14 (of 30)

Tell you what - this game is loooong. To the point where it's actually detrimental, really.

nooo :(

Part of why I liked AH was that you could finish it in one sitting. I played through it in one afternoon and then played through it again with friends, it was fun because it was such a compact experience.

This added to your claim that it's not the good kind of long will probably make me not pick up this game for a while

Rlan

Yeah, I mean according to EGM Commando 3 can be finished in 40 minutes to an hour - but I'll probably play that plenty of times. The original game MERCS on Genesis was no longer than that and I played the shit out of it.

Gowans

I've through to around area 5-8? yeah the sequel definaty has a more drawn out pace, one of the underground foot sections took me forever, it was tough but I loved it when I got through it.

I thought it was a little more grey at first but theats the first world, the second is which I'm on now is a jungle/rain forest style level and its really changed the AH style, it seems a little trippy with fungus messing up my screen everywhere and shooting insects.

Going my Rlan guess I have some way to go, don't know if this is a good thing or not till I finish it, will be dipping in and out of it over the next week so no rush.

Zabka

Nowhere near as good as the first one. There are really large dead zones in the aiming near the up, down, left and right directions that can be really frustrating, and the game is just ridiculously drawn out.

Vaxadrin

Banned
I just got done a massive session of this game. Is anyone still playing it? I made it up to #180 on the leaderboards.

I'm having a blast with it. The snow level was really giving me trouble, but I 1cc'ed the forest & Mars levels, ending with what I think was the second form of the boss for that region. It was right after the bridge battle, I was fighting some guy with tank wheels.

So much fun. If anyone's down for some co-op I'll bet we could tear up the leaderboards.

Rlan

Vaxadrin said:
I just got done a massive session of this game. Is anyone still playing it? I made it up to #180 on the leaderboards.

I'm having a blast with it. The snow level was really giving me trouble, but I 1cc'ed the forest & Mars levels, ending with what I think was the second form of the boss for that region. It was right after the bridge battle, I was fighting some guy with tank wheels.

So much fun. If anyone's down for some co-op I'll bet we could tear up the leaderboards.

I got stuck on the Space Flight level, god damn rocks will destroy you after one hit.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
just started playing this, and i'm really disappointed -- it somehow lacks the feel of the first game, although the only things i can immediately point to are the zoomed-out view and the drab new color palette. i went back to the first game for a quick reference, and ended up playing through the whole thing -- it's one of my favorite games this gen, flat-out. and the new one just doesn't do it for me. i'll have to spend some more time with it though

Top Bottom