• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Silver lining in regards to RE4's Q1 release.

Resident Evil by itself might not be a system seller. But combine the redesigned elements in Resident ZEvil 4 that'll bring back people bored with the pre -rendering and cliches, and then mix that in with a few other big games like Metroid: Echoes, Baten kaitos, Paper Mario on shelves and some Gamecube bundles and things might work out well.

Broshnat

Banned
AniHawk said:
It would have to be something like (shipped):

550k Japan
750k NA
500k EU

so Sell-through:

425k Japan
550k NA
400k EU

Are you mad??

I'm confused straight away, why are u saying that sell-through and shipped numbers are so different???

600-700k in Japan is easily attainable. This is a brand-new direction for the series. It's been top 3-4 of Famitsu's most wanted list for ages, and the userbase in Japan will be around 4 million when RE4 releases (as opposed to 2-2.5M for RE / RE0).

I think 2 million is very possible.

cvxfreak

AniHawk said:
Before I go any further, did you mean RE 4 is a DIFFERENT kind of Resident Evil game, or REmake? Either way, I don't really understand the argument.

I meant REmake and FSA as different RE/Zelda games in respect to RE4 and Zelda XII. I simply don't think it's viable to use the REmake (and Zero) in respect to how well RE4 could do. Add to the fact REmake was just a remake and Zero was released soon after in a crowded market, and got lower reviews. :p

AniHawk" said:
Well "next-gen Zelda" was what so many people were hoping to have since 2000. Nintendo alienated a lot of people with the cel-shaded look, and the new style will bring those people back. It's not like the majority of the fanbase left the series anyhow- The Wind Waker is on its way to sell upwards of 4 million copies, the average for any normal Zelda game. Meanwhile RE has waned considerably from 1 million in the States to doing that on a worldwide scale. If RE 4 can bring back RE fans from 1998, it will be a huge push for the series and the GC. However, if Zelda XII can do the same, it will be a much larger push, and really, I think Zelda XII's supersuccess is a lot more realistic than RE 4's. But that's another story for another time :)

I can understand why you would think Zelda XII would bring the fanbase back, and I don't disagree. But RE4 is really no different. Sure, it won't sell as much as Zelda XII, but it'll probably end up making it's 1.8 Million goal sometime. Have more faith in humanity. :D

AniHawk

Broshnat said:
Are you mad??

I'm confused straight away, why are u saying that sell-through and shipped numbers are so different???

The way I always understood it, shipped = sold to retailers, sell-through = sold to consumers.

Li Mu Bai

Banned
Regardless Ani, using the commercial sales of two titles released in 2002 (userbase included) as a predictive indicator on how a completely revamped RE4 will sell is somewhat baseless IMO. And you mention system-seller? Well as I said the REmake did just this when it was released. Echoes still doesn't have this amount of hype generated for it. The print & electronic gaming media have embraced this title much moreso than MP:E. (take the reception at E3 for example)

Resident Evil by itself might not be a system seller. But combine the redesigned elements in Resident ZEvil 4 that'll bring back people bored with the pre -rendering and cliches, and then mix that in with a few other big games like Metroid: Echoes, Baten kaitos, Paper Mario on shelves and some Gamecube bundles and things might work out well.

I do agree that libraries sell a system moreso than a singular game, but do not underestimate the power of a single game in regards to system momentum. It will sell 1.8 million easily IMO.

Top Bottom