• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Substance: One hell of a movie!

Bitstream

Come for the T&A, stay for the midlife crisis. Substance follows a jazzercise instructor who gets let go for being too old, and the challenges she'll face to get back into the spotlight. Explores the thin line between self improvement and self destruction. Lots of subtext on how our younger selves betray our future selves, and how we'll all have to answer for our decisions eventually. Best movie I've seen in some time.

MudoSkills

Volcano High Alumnus (Cum Laude)
Saw it yesterday, enjoyed it, but based on the buzz was expecting it to go a lot further into the grotesque.

Like 45 minutes of this film is just staring at Margaret Qualley's arse.

Bitstream

Certainly more like Requiem than a traditional 'horror' movie per se. The horror here is more based on the human condition, both psychologically and physically.

Bitstream

The practical effects in this movie are absolutely fantastic. Never had an experience like this at the cinema before where the audience was totally into it and during the last 15 minutes 4 people walked out.

Great stuff.
Sounds about right hahahah, the balance between the grotesque and humor was expertly crafted towards the end. That scene where MonstroElisaSue staples the picture of Elizabeth to her face was absolutely hilarious.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Got tickets for tomorrow. I am so excited. Not even been to the cinema in 4 years because I can't be bothered with audiences any more, but this is exactly the sort of thing where I know I'll be surrounded by like-minded sickos (and it's a small screen with like 7 other people in).

Didn't even know what it was until I saw people posting in Discord about how wildly gross and absurd and over-the-top it was, I'm in.

This film blew me away. One of the most unique and memorable movies I've seen in quite a while.

Demi Moore gives the best performance of her career by far, and really goes all in for this role. Not just with the amount of nudity and vulnerability but crazy prosthetics as well. Her portrayal of Elisabeth is so nuanced and real, the scene of her trying to go on a date for example was heartbreaking to watch. You fully understand why she chooses to continue to put herself through this, and it connects so well with the topics of beauty, fame, aging, self image and what it all does to people.

Margaret Qualley is fantastic as well and the way her character developed over the course of the film was incredibly well done. She was absolutely terrifying at times and I loved it.

The editing, the visuals, the raw and touching portrayal of an aging woman, the darkess and insanity, the body horror and incredible prosthetics, this movie really made an impression on me. It's not just out to shock you, as all of it serves a meaningful underlying set of themes that are going to hit home for a lot of people.

I definitely recommend this film and I'm very curious what other great films Coralie Fargeat might have in store for us next.

Bitstream

This film blew me away. One of the most unique and memorable movies I've seen in quite a while.

Demi Moore gives the best performance of her career by far, and really goes all in for this role. Not just with the amount of nudity and vulnerability but crazy prosthetics as well. Her portrayal of Elisabeth is so nuanced and real, the scene of her trying to go on a date for example was heartbreaking to watch. You fully understand why she chooses to continue to put herself through this, and it connects so well with the topics of beauty, fame, aging, self image and what it all does to people.

Margaret Qualley is fantastic as well and the way her character developed over the course of the film was incredibly well done. She was absolutely terrifying at times and I loved it.

The editing, the visuals, the raw and touching portrayal of an aging woman, the darkess and insanity, the body horror and incredible prosthetics, this movie really made an impression on me. It's not just out to shock you, as all of it serves a meaningful underlying set of themes that are going to hit home for a lot of people.

I definitely recommend this film and I'm very curious what other great films Coralie Fargeat might have in store for us next.
Completely agree on all fronts, from top to bottom it was masterfully done. This is the type of movie that sticks with you for a while, and really gets under your skin in the best possible way. Incredibly impressed by Coralie's directorial debut, and even moreso considering she wrote the screenplay as well!

Shaki12345

Neo Member
Completely agree on all fronts, from top to bottom it was masterfully done. This is the type of movie that sticks with you for a while, and really gets under your skin in the best possible way. Incredibly impressed by Coralie's directorial debut, and even moreso considering she wrote the screenplay as well!
This movie should be shown to young people in high schools. Maybe it could make the world a better place.

People should be happy with what they've got, instead of wishing to be someone they cannot. The best version of yourself is up to you to create.

Last edited:

Bitstream

This movie should be shown to young people in high schools. Maybe it could make the world a better place.

People should be happy with what they've got, instead of wishing to be someone they cannot. The best version of yourself is up to you to create.
That's the thing about being young though, you just don't have the wisdom and perspective needed to digest the message. When you're young there's this notion that there will be time to fix things 'later'. For many, the realization that 'later' should be 'now' comes too late.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
I don’t know anything about this movie, but that trailer looks good.

E-Cat

Someone was saying this was a Horror movie (not sure why), but it seems more in line with something like Requiem for a Dream.
Oh, it's definitely horror.
2doYsxf.gif

JoduanER2

It is not her directorial debut...

Last edited:

clarky

Gold Member
Been looking forward to this for a while, good news it sounds as good as the trailer looked.

Last edited:

xandaca

Respected this more than I particularly liked it. I'm very happy films like this, ambitious and eccentric, are still able to get into cinemas, but absent that context I found it too messy in tone and the rules of its central storytelling device to work as well as it could have. Specifically, I was never sure what the relationship between Elisabeth and Sue actually was. For much of the film I thought Elisabeth's consciousness moved between bodies during the swap, but despite the repeated 'you are one' mantra, each acted like an individual person and seemed to only discover what the other had done after waking up, raising questions as to why anyone would take the substance to begin with if all it does it generate a de facto entirely new person. If the film's central theme is how women are put under impossible pressure to stay young and sexy forever, having Sue be an independent clone feels less impactful because Elisabeth isn't actually making a sacrifice to make herself younger and sexier in any way: it's more like she's had a daughter of whom she's increasingly jealous.

Like Fargeat's previous film, Revenge, its pretentions to subversion are undermined by how thoroughly it indulges the tropes it puports to be critiquing under a thin veil of irony. Revenge was a supposed inversion of the rape-revenge genre, putting the focus on the strength of the victim and the evil of the perpetrators rather than fetishising the violence against the woman, yet Fargeat still cast a gorgeous lead and had her in a conspicuous state of undress for most of the film. It's much the same here: for all The Substance feigns to damn the male gaze, it lingers over Margaret Qualley's magnificence at every turn, with only Dennis Quaid's hilariously sleazy producer to indicate there's anything exploitative about it, and has her front-and-centre (or, uh, back-and-centre) in the advertising. Don't get me wrong, I'm entirely delighted for any sight of Margaret Qualley under-or-undressed, but in the context of the film it feels more than a little hypocritical.

In terms of tone, the first three-quarters of the film is a sinister, suspenseful body-horror, its satire obvious (sometimes a bit too obvious - did Quaid's producer really need to be called Harvey, rather than leaving it for the audience to make the obvious connection?) but the comedic element kept as subtle seasoning rather than a main ingredient. The end of the film, however, suddenly turns into an overt, grand guignol pulpy spoof, on one hand very funny and possibly the most entertaining part of the film, but a jarringly sharp turn suggesting uncertainty as to how to bring its narrative and themes to a consistent close without relying on splashy spectacle for distraction.

To be clear, this is one of those films where it's easy to focus on the negatives because it took big ambitious swings which didn't quite land and is therefore easier to talk about how it fell short of its ambitions rather than the things it does well. On that score it is visually striking throughout and the key performances are all good, particularly Quaid and Moore (not a role which demands the biggest emotional range, but her commitment is undeniable). Outside Qualley's spectacular aesthetic appeal, hers is the performance I'm least sure about even if I think she's an extremely under-appreciated actress, because she plays Sue as vapidly as the 'character' is underwritten on the page, which could either be seen as a shortcoming or a comment on the obsession with beauty being inherently shallow and materialistic. I like Qualley in it, and she's every bit as game as Moore, but there is a noticeable emptiness to the part, intentional or not.

Fundamentally I think the core issue is how imprecisely-defined the nature of the Substance itself is at any level, which as the story's central pivot makes it hard to get a grip on the angle the film is taking on its themes. There are a lot of strong individual elements in the film but Fargeat never seems entirely sure how to bring them together, reflected in the big tonal shift at the end, fun as it is. Its unashamed weirdness and Cronenbergian horror will attract plenty of fans and for good reason, but for me it was a film defined by what it could have been rather than what is actually is.

calistan

Respected this more than I particularly liked it. I'm very happy films like this, ambitious and eccentric, are still able to get into cinemas, but absent that context I found it too messy in tone and the rules of its central storytelling device to work as well as it could have. Specifically, I was never sure what the relationship between Elisabeth and Sue actually was. For much of the film I thought Elisabeth's consciousness moved between bodies during the swap, but despite the repeated 'you are one' mantra, each acted like an individual person and seemed to only discover what the other had done after waking up, raising questions as to why anyone would take the substance to begin with if all it does it generate a de facto entirely new person. If the film's central theme is how women are put under impossible pressure to stay young and sexy forever, having Sue be an independent clone feels less impactful because Elisabeth isn't actually making a sacrifice to make herself younger and sexier in any way: it's more like she's had a daughter of whom she's increasingly jealous.
Maybe the point is that by striving for some ideal of physical beauty to please other people, you're effectively leaving the real you behind.

tommib

Watched this today and I don’t think I ever saw strangers talking to each other after a movie ended because of how hyped everyone was. The whole audience was highly entertained and we were all laughing by the end at how extreme and absurd the whole thing is.

It’s loaded with references to the shining, Carrie, the fly, vertigo, requiem for a dream… the make up and practical effects are outstanding. It’s one hell of a ride. Pretty amazing that they just went everywhere. Other films would just stop at some point but they just show everything that you thought would be left to the audience’s imagination.

Also, it’s incredibly funny. The whole kitchen witch sequence is hilarious.

Absolutely loved it.

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Forgot to come back after watching this. Very very fun, it's got all the subtlety of a sledgehammer (and I have no idea how it won best screenplay at Cannes), but that's kinda the point. It doesn't wear its message on its sleeve so much as superglue it to its face đź‘€

All the scrungey and gross effects are top drawer, it's not the goriest movie ever made but you still need a strong stomach if it's not your usual kind of bag. The last half an hour is absolutely wild and goes off the rails in the best ways possible. Loved it.

Edit: had one walk-out but everyone else stayed and by the end the whole (fairly empty) room was howling.

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
The movie should have anded after the mirror everything afterwards was just dumb as fuck

Bitstream

The movie should have anded after the mirror everything afterwards was just dumb as fuck
Without the third act it's just - woman destroys herself for the entertainment industry. The third act allows her to get some fun, bloody justice

Bridges

Saw this last week, one of my favorite movies in really long time. It's got an incredible style. Very overstimulating in both directions (the sexual and the grotesque) and at times is completely ridiculous. The metaphors and symbolism could not be less subtle if they tried, but in spite of that I was utterly enamored from start to finish. No walk outs (that I noticed) and when it was done the theater clapped. Not the movie I expected it to be at all. Hard recommend for anyone even slightly curious.

Top Bottom