• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Testament of Sherlock Holmes (360/PS3/PC) |OT| Sherlock Holmes 6

HiiiLife

How is the series compared to LA Noire or other detective-like games? Even the few "detective" missions in Heavy Rain, Condemned and the Batman games?

Is it like the Nancy Drew games I would play when I was in elemntary? Lol.

picked up the PS3 version and already I can tell that imma gonna like this a lot.

the voice acting and writing are fantastic, and the investigation scenarios and puzzles are so far a lot of fun. The PS3 version doesn't have the best framerate in the world, but the environments are very well detailed and look pretty good. I also like how the gameplay has the most minimal hand-holding possible. If you can't figure out the puzzles/investigations, you get very little help from the game.

good music too. If you like adventure games, really, you should be strongly considering this.

Thanks for the impressions. I'm actually looking forward to finding out how the different versions compare. I have an Xbox copy but I'm thinking of returning it and buying the game on Steam.

Trin

So happy I pre-ordered this on Steam! I also got a free download of Jack the Ripper with it, which is great since I lost the CD copy I bought ages ago.

This is far and away my favorite in the series so far, although I've managed to get stuck just as things were getting exciting: I'm at
Baker Street and Holmes has just disappeared.
I need to find
all the pieces of his costumes,
and all I'm missing is
Captain Basil's boots.
For some reason, the 6th sense button isn't even picking them up! Any help?

Tizoc

I'll try to get this game by next week, but of the ones on Steam which are/is the best?
I see Awakened is good, so I'll prob. pick that up but what about the other ones? Any of them not worth getting?

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
I haven't left my thanks and shame in this thread yet? Ah well.

Haven't bought it yet, but I am looking forward to it.

Locke_211

Anyone who wants something different should absolutely play this game!

It's pretty wonderful. The writing and acting are great and it's full of some at times rather hard puzzles. Both tradition point-and-click find the object and use it in the right place type puzzles, and more Professor Layton style ones. They can be very difficult but are on the whole immensely satisfying.

The nineteenth century London locations are really, really well brought to life. The PS3 version is a bit jerky at points but it really seems like the care put into the presentation exceeds the slight deficiencies of the engine. The character movement is definitely rather clunky and in any other sort of genre would probably count against the game quite a bit. It's easier to move around in third person rather than first, and better looking too.

I might well get the Jack the Ripper game on PC once I'm done with this.

Buy this instead of Resident Evil 6!

Locke_211

I think the Metro review is a little harsh. I think the dialogue and the acting both feel totally authentically Holmesian, and it doesn't mention how great the atmosphere is. Even if the tech feels quite dated, each environment, from London streets, to a rich lawyer's house, to an opium den, are packed with details and are just great to root around in.

Or maybe I've just been totally sucked in by its change of pace!

Nemesis_

Is this actually good?

I'm thinking this will scratch the itch that Gray Matter scratched last year. I've got it sitting here on my desk ;_;

Sloane

Banned
Is this actually good?

I'm thinking this will scratch the itch that Gray Matter scratched last year. I've got it sitting here on my desk ;_;
I think it's pretty good and I like Frogware's take on Sherlock in general but (except for The Silver Earring) there have always been huge flaws. But Sherlock 6 does a lot of things right, the deduction part that actually makes you think about what you've seen is fun, the graphics are really beautiful in some areas and the story is decent enough to keep you going. For me, it's the best game of the series since The Silver Earring.

Tizoc

Finally decided to play the game ^_^;
PS3 ver. has frame rate issues and the graphics leave much to be desired.
Still enjoying it though as far as Point n' Click games go.
One thing that bothered me was that Selecting 'Invert Camera' inversts BOTH the X and Y Axis =_=.

Anyone have any good screenshots of the game running at highest settings on PC?

Was going to try and pick this up finally...

UMpyy.png

IT'S A MYSTERY

Tizoc

Platinumed it weeks ago, all in all I enjoyed it as a Point n' Click and am glad there's one released for PS3 but...I think this would've been better as a Downloadable title...and really an M-rating? It's more tame than any other M-rated game out there lol.

Oh and the game is now $20 on US PSN if anyone's interested.

Top Bottom