• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Thing: Remastered – 22nd anniversary screenshots

R6Rider

Gold Member

The Thing: Remastered is a faithful restoration of the 2002 third-person survival horrorshooter inspired by Universal Pictures’ genre-defining 1982 film, The Thing. Nightdive Studios has upgraded this horrifying classic for the modern era through its proprietary KEX Engine for play on current-generation gaming devices up to a 4K resolution at 120 frames per second. Improvements to character models, textures, and animations have been hand-crafted by Nightdive Studios, with the implementation of advanced 3D rendering for updated lighting and atmospheric effects — for a suspenseful and disgustingly detailed remaster that reanimates the thrilling game for modern audiences.

In the frozen arctic tundra, a mysterious shape-shifting alien has wiped out the crew of the U.S. Outpost #31 research facility. In The Thing: Remastered, players step into the boots of Captain J.F. Blake, the leader of a United States Army Special Forces rescue team sent to investigate the blood-curdling events that transpired in the original The Thing film. Trapped by the elements and at risk of infection by a horrific entity, Blake must keep his squad together to survive by gaining their trust and ensuring that their fear and paranoia don’t get the best of them … or himself.

Key Features:
  • Return to U.S. Outpost #31 – Continue the story of The Thing and face off against terrifying monsters, from scuttling head-spiders and human-like walkers to gigantic multi-tentacled level bosses.
  • Who Goes There? – Command a squad of up to four NPCs from Soldier, Medic, and Engineer character classes through the game’s 11 frightening levels.
  • The Warmest Place to Hide – Someone in your squad may not be who they appear to be. The shape-shifting alien hides inside an imitation, so keep a watchful eye.
  • Don’t Lose It – Gain the trust of your squad members and minimize their fear levels lest they become defiant or, worse, succumb to paranoia.
  • Ultimate Alien Terror – Upgraded models, textures, and animations hand-crafted by Nightdive, plus enhanced lighting and atmospheric effects.
  • Stunning Visuals – Up to 4K resolution at 120 frames per second visuals on PC, PlayStation 5, and Xbox Series X|S.
  • Checkmate – Trophies and Achievements on Windows PC via Steam, PlayStation, and Xbox consoles.
The Thing: Remastered is due out for PlayStation 5, Xbox Series, PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Switch, and PC via Steam and GOG in 2024.
The-Thing-Remastered-2024-08-20-24-001.jpg

The-Thing-Remastered-2024-08-20-24-002.jpg

The-Thing-Remastered-2024-08-20-24-003.jpg

The-Thing-Remastered-2024-08-20-24-004.jpg

The-Thing-Remastered-2024-08-20-24-005.jpg

The-Thing-Remastered-2024-08-20-24-006.jpg

Last edited:

Ulysses 31

Is this the game that's a direct sequel to the movie and answers the cliffhanger at the end (that honestly didn't need one). Or am I thinking of another release? I've only heard about the game so kinda clueless.
It's the canon sequel to the 1982 movie yeah.

Childs is found frozen to death and is probably not a thing, McReady has some weird behavior at the end of the game hinting something's off with him.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
But when is it releasing !!

Is this the game that's a direct sequel to the movie and answers the cliffhanger at the end (that honestly didn't need one). Or am I thinking of another release? I've only heard about the game so kinda clueless.

I can't find the exact source for it, but supposedly Carpenter gave the game the nod as an official sequel to the movie, and yes it answers the cliffhanger from the film.

Last edited:

R6Rider

Gold Member
I buy every Nightdive release to support them so day one for me. Hopefully the changes/upgrades will make this one a little better than the first time.

I would like them to do the PS2 X files game as well.
Are you sure you don't want them to do Beverly Hills Cop instead?

MiguelItUp

Cannot wait to get this. Love the movie, and I loved this game when it initially launched. Can't wait to go through it again.

I'm pretty surprised we haven't seen more games with the IP. There are so many possibilities.

Dr.D00p

They make some strange choices on what to devote their resources to.

This wasn't even a highly regarded game when released, scoring respectable 6 or 7s out of 10, if I remember correctly.

Ulysses 31

This wasn't even a highly regarded game when released, scoring respectable 6 or 7s out of 10, if I remember correctly.
They can be a strange bunch indeed, Sin Reloaded was announced in 2020 and it's still ain't out.

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member

9wvKrla.gif

Hush those negative waves, man. It's another game I own god knows how many times but never fully played, but if I'm gonna, it's gonna be this version!

uuIjz3Y.gif

"The Thing is my favourite horror film of all time, but after seeing it when I was 7 years old, I was terrified of my dog and could no longer be alone with him because I thought he was going to morph into "the thing"😜.

The game was fun, too, and I can't wait to play the remastered version, but I want to see a sequel.

See, this is what remakes and remasters should be. There's a great game in here, so take what is an amazing concept and try to do it justice this time, whilst paying homage to the original!

Oh dear, TDS got them too?

Damn.
Mainly the head of the studio Stephen Kick. He was saying some really nasty things, basically wished death on half the country. I can't support that stuff. He also said he was boycotting some other developer who was saddened by the assassination attempt. So not only is he an asshole, hes an asshole who was punching down on a smaller studio. I really wish these people would show some restraint with what they are willing to put out there. Ignorance is bliss and I would have gladly continued to buy and enjoy their remasters.

Last edited:

JCK75

Awesome!! I was thinking about this game recently, thinking about looking back in my old collection of DVD PC Games and seeing if it will run.. guess I'll wait for this (since I left those discs at my exes house)

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
Mainly the head of the studio Stephen Kick. He was saying some really nasty things, basically wished death on half the country. I can't support that stuff. He also said he was boycotting some other developer who was saddened by the assassination attempt. So not only is he an asshole, hes an asshole who was punching down on a smaller studio. I really wish these people would show some restraint with what they are willing to put out there. Ignorance is bliss and I would have gladly continued to buy and enjoy their remasters.
Jesus, what an arse. The whole world's going mental.

Wasn't deep fear more of a classic RE clone with tanky controls and prerendered backgrounds? extermination play more like an action.
Most people describe Deep Fear as a RE clone but it really isn't in terms of gameplay. Little to no puzzles, no inventory management. It does have fixed angles and backgrounds though. Good game all the same with some of the worst voice acting of all time. Also handles movement while shooting incredibly well.

rkofan87

Gold Member
i am going separate nightdive from the shit this guy shit views they make to many good remasters to drop them over this

Top Bottom