• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Truth About White Tigers

Status
Not open for further replies.

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
https://www.thedodo.com/truth-about-white-tiger-breeding-1492535969.html?utm_source=HuffPo

While breeders, and the zoos and entertainers that use them, paint white tigers as an endangered species in need of conservation efforts, that story couldn't be further from the truth, said Susan Bass, PR representative for the Florida sanctuary Big Cat Rescue

"White tigers are not a species, they're not endangered, they're not in the wild," Bass told The Dodo. "There are so many misconceptions about white tigers."

According to Bass, a white tiger hasn't been seen in the wild since the 1950s, when a light cub was found with a family of normal orange tigers. The person who found him was intrigued by the natural color variation, so he stole the cub away from his mother and siblings.

Today's white tigers are all descendents of that original white tiger, she said, and are the result of countless generations of inbreeding needed to get the double recessive gene that gives tigers a white coat.
"They're not normally found," Bass explained, noting that a white tiger likely couldn't even survive in the wild because they'd stick out too much. "In order to get that [color], breeders have to breed tigers over and over again to get that gene to come forward."

The result of that inbreeding is tigers like Kenny, whose parents were likely siblings. And he's not alone; the population as a whole has been remarkably damaged by decades of inbreeding.

Bass said that virtually all white tigers have crossed eyes — even if you can't see it, their optic nerves are crossed — and a host of other medical problems.

"They don't live as long [as other tigers]," she explained. "They have kidney problems, they have spine issues."

Many white tigers also have cleft palates, including one who lives at BCR. "Our white tiger Zabu has a missing upper lip and it looks like she's always smiling," Bass said.

Because white tiger litters are usually so damaged, most of them, and the orange siblings they're born with, can't be "used" by breeders. "Usually they have so many health problems, they're not pretty enough to be in a Las Vegas show," Bass said. (White tigers are a staple attraction in Vegas.)

While Kenny's deformities are more apparent than other white tigers', it's unclear whether he's truly exceptional — or whether he was just one of the lucky ones to escape.

"To get that one perfect, pretty white cub, it's one out of 30," Bass explained. "What happens to the other 29 … euthanized, abandoned … who knows."

WelI learned something today

980x.jpg

980x.jpg

980x.jpg

WhiteRanger.jpg

Oppo

the game guides I spoke with in South Africa take a very, very dim view of things like White Tigers and Lions

basically "tourist toys", unsuccessful animals in the wild, custom bred to be shot by moneyed assholes.

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
the game guides I spoke with in South Africa take a very, very dim view of things like White Tigers and Lions

basically "tourist toys", unsuccessful animals in the wild, custom bred to be shot by moneyed assholes.

smh these people are involved again...

TEJ

While we are talking about wildcats, an important thing to know is to never support a lion/tiger cub petting zoo.

They usually take the cubs from their mothers before they can open their eyes. They are often mistreated and if they make it into adulthood they're likely used in canned hunting.

As cute as they are they're wild animals, ones near extinction and best left in the wild or preserves. In more extreme cases where they have been abused to the point of being unable to survive on their own there are sanctuaries which will take good care of them so they can live somewhat happy lives.

Griss

Yeah, 15 years ago I went to a kind of 'outdoor zoo' / 'mini-safari' in Germany and the reason why white tigers were wrong were clearly explained.

I had also been under the impression that they were a naturally occurring breed of tiger. Ever since I learned that I no longer find the white tiger cool. Anyway, the orange and black pattern is far more spectacular.

I wonder how we will end up preserving enough of the wild earth for species like tigers to survive. We probably won't. It's desperately sad.

Blackthorn

"hello?" "this is vagina"
Yeah I remember hearing about this.

People think they're a wild species because of Siberian Tigers that live in the snow, so assume they would be white. But Siberian Tigers are just tiger-ass looking tigers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom