• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The US Government is investing in ‘counter-disinformation’ video games via Niche Gamer

Status
Not open for further replies.

DryvBy

According to a funding opportunity from the U.S. Department of State, $275,000 USD was earmarked by the U.S. Embassy in the Netherlands for a pitch meeting these specifications:

1) produce an English- and Dutch-language pilot version of a counter-disinformation game (requirements below)

2) produce a French version of the game

3) produce one additional translation into a European, Asian, and/or African language, to be determined at a later date

4) host the game on the company’s own servers

5) develop and implement data collection and analysis methodologies to demonstrate the project’s achievement
of expected results

6) promote games to target audiences

When I was a kid, America's Army is what they created to promote recruitment. Now we get Dustturd or whatever that game was called?

Pathetic.

Last edited:
Counter disinformation in neolanguage means disinformation.

The last COD did it, when they included a real interview with the Russian defector that speaks about the communist infiltration in western society that is peaking today.

The trick is to associate real events to works of fiction so people believe they aren't true. Even worse, people believe they can't be true just because they appeared in a movie or videogame. It's a reverse logic successfully implemented by Hollywood.

It always makes me wonder why governments are so concerned by disinformation to the extent they feel the need to actively fight it. Gives me totalitarian state vibes. Countries the west likes to point their finger to. Also, I'm not a fan of the term disinformation, as it can too easily be used to dismiss 'undiserable' information in the public forum, which doesn't necessarily has to be false.

Last edited:

Denton

Americans should not tolerate their government funding literal anti-american and anti-european propaganda.

kevboard

When I was a kid, America's Army is what they created to promote recruitment. Now we get Dustturd or whatever that game was called?

Pathetic.

America's Army 2... those were the times...

and then the released the successor which was horrendously unfinished and bad.

It always makes me wonder why governments are so concerned by disinformation to the extent they feel the need to actively fight it. Gives me totalitarian state vibes. Countries the west likes to point their finger to. Also, I'm not a fan of the term disinformatoin itself, as it can be used to dismiss 'undiserable' information, which doesn't necessarily has to be false.
Because there is a substantial amount of evidence that foreign countries pump money into disinformation campaigns online. A lot of people are not savvy enough to distinguish between the two and it is becoming a large problem.

Pathetic.
I was gonna say the same thing about that Army game.

It's so insane how quickly the Western world has pivoted to authoritarian censorship. Legit frightening.

HogIsland

Americans should not tolerate their government funding literal anti-american and anti-european propaganda.
if you're going to subscribe a concept like "anti-american", then you have to accept that the US government defines "american". Better to just oppose propaganda and nationalism.

Last edited:

Bry0

People eat up propaganda coming out of China and Russia and Iran all the time. Naive to think the west shouldn’t respond or that propaganda coming out of those countries isn’t self serving to THEIR geopolitical goals. The reality is that in the modern world state actors shape narratives you see every day. People who deem themselves “free thinkers” are often neck deep in some state backed narrative and don’t even seem to be cognizant of it because it’s “alternative” so it must be the truth!

And our country wonders why it's struggling to enlist new people into the military. This 1984 garbage needs to stop. That book was a warning, not a blueprint.

Last edited:

Pagusas

Elden Member
Counter disinformation? So funding a game that counters all official statements by the government? Sounds good to me... Oh wait...
I mean that's exactly what the government does, they've bene known to intentionally seed conspiracy theories just to make things sound too ridiculous to be credible and misdirect.

Shifty1897

USA Army tried many times making games and they all bombed
Joke Drums GIF by Bax Music

Kings Field

There was a retard in the other thread calling us conspiracy theorists because we don’t deep throat the government like he does.

Last edited:
People eat up propaganda coming out of China and Russia and Iran all the time. Naive to think the west shouldn’t respond or that propaganda coming out of those countries isn’t self serving to THEIR geopolitical goals. The reality is that in the modern world state actors shape narratives you see every day. People who deem themselves “free thinkers” are often neck deep in some state backed narrative and don’t even seem to be cognizant of it because it’s “alternative” so it must be the truth!

Thanks for the enlightenment, the 8-year-old kids that post here hadn't noticed.

The difference between Chinese and Russian propaganda is that they defend their nationalistic interests, whereas Western propaganda ALSO serves the enemy's interests by shitting on Western values and promoting ideologies that erode OUR societies, not theirs. That's why you have movies like Oppenheimer funded by China criticizing the McCarthyism.

So, "our" propaganda is actually "their" propaganda, by spreading marxist bullshit written in the Cold War era.

So no, I reject whatever authoritarian DEI dystopia they want to promote.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom