• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Vanishing of Ethan Carter |OT| A first person murder mystery (PC)

Blizzard

Banned
I don't know absolutely nothing of the game, is it worth 7$ ? it's currently this price on Gamersgates http://www.gamersgate.com/DD-VOC/the-vanishing-of-ethan-carter

I just don't want it to be another Dear Eshter
Unlike Dear Esther, there are interactive puzzles to solve. It's still very much a walking game where you look at pretty scenery, listen to a narration, and think about a story though. There aren't weapons or enemies to shoot for example.

I liked it better than the original Dear Esther. I never played the update.

JP

Not sure if my game is bugged out or not. Haven't read the whole thread to see if it's happened to others as I'm really trying to avoid spoilers.

Mines.
I've found 5 of the 6 bodies and must have spent an hour trying to find the last one without any luck. Is one of them hidden somewhere? Am I supposed to do something before I can find the last one? I was wondering if I had to lead the miner to the puzzle room or something?
Has anybody else had this issue?

Blizzard

Banned
Not sure if my game is bugged out or not. Haven't read the whole thread to see if it's happened to others as I'm really trying to avoid spoilers.

Mines.
I've found 5 of the 6 bodies and must have spent an hour trying to find the last one without any luck. Is one of them hidden somewhere? Am I supposed to do something before I can find the last one? I was wondering if I had to lead the miner to the puzzle room or something?
Has anybody else had this issue?
I'm not sure, but about that puzzle:

I might have only found a couple of the bodies because I hated the stress of the zombie so much. I ended up just guessing or brute-forcing the remaining symbols. If you've found that many bodies, you should be able to try all the symbols in the remaining spot pretty quickly to solve it.

JP

I'm not sure, but about that puzzle:

I might have only found a couple of the bodies because I hated the stress of the zombie so much. I ended up just guessing or brute-forcing the remaining symbols. If you've found that many bodies, you should be able to try all the symbols in the remaining spot pretty quickly to solve it.
I had no idea it would let you do that to be honest, I thought it would need all of them to unlock it.
I've completed it though...
I think that I'm an idiot and there is actually only five bodies to find, I don't know why it took me so long to work it out but the piece of paper that you find in the puzzle room actually shows the final symbol.

I didn't find the miner/zombie stressful to be honest, I just found it annoying. Particularly because I wasn't sure if I was supposed to make him follow me.
Ah well, live and learn...and I did it without exposing myself to spoilers by reading a guide. Back to the game. want to finish this before I start playing Everybody's Gone to the Rapture this weekend. :)

Blizzard

Banned
I had no idea it would let you do that to be honest, I thought it would need all of them to unlock it.
I've completed it though...
I think that I'm an idiot and there is actually only five bodies to find, I don't know why it took me so long to work it out but the piece of paper that you find in the puzzle room actually shows the final symbol.

I didn't find the miner/zombie stressful to be honest, I just found it annoying. Particularly because I wasn't sure if I was supposed to make him follow me.
Ah well, live and learn...and I did it without exposing myself to spoilers by reading a guide. Back to the game. want to finish this before I start playing Everybody's Gone to the Rapture this weekend. :)
Nice work. About the spoiler:

I hate scary games and jump scares. I think the miner/zombie got me because the entire game had trained me that nothing was going to scream at me or jump into my face. So when I saw it, I just paused to look for a minute and think "Huh, I wonder what this is. Obviously not an enemy or a screaming jump scare. Someone to talk to maybe?"

JP

Nice work. About the spoiler:

I hate scary games and jump scares. I think the miner/zombie got me because the entire game had trained me that nothing was going to scream at me or jump into my face. So when I saw it, I just paused to look for a minute and think "Huh, I wonder what this is. Obviously not an enemy or a screaming jump scare. Someone to talk to maybe?"
Thanks.

I don't know which part of the game it was in but I remember the dev talking about a
jump scare
in the game that they've removed from this version, I'm guessing that it was that area though.

Got all the trophies now but had to cheat on the
Unfinished Story
trophy as it was really random. For anybody who has finished it, now that I have all the trophies, does that mean that I've seen everything that there is to see in the game or are there more secrets that aren't linked to trophies out there?

I've spent a lot of time exploring so I'd be really surprised if there was something that I've not found yet but if there isn't, I'm happy to delete it.

Afro

UE4 update on PC should be up any day now. What exactly are the graphical differences/upgrades from UE3?

wouwie

I had fun playing this (just finished). I'd rate it a solid 8/10. I look forward to The Astronauts next game.

The more I play Vanishing the more I think it's just not a very good game. I'm playing without looking at a guide. The game isn't driven by the puzzles, everything hangs on the player stumbling on an item strewn somewhere in the landscape. You get lucky, stumble on the right item, the narrative progresses at a good pace and all is well. Walk past something hidden in the foliage, spend hours wandering, pacing is ruined and the player gets bored. Amazing visuals only hold this together for so long. It all smacks of artificially extending a game with very little actual content. Telling the player you're not going to hold their hand doesn't excuse any of this.

Blizzard

Banned
I didn't really mind searching for things and it actually made the experience more unexpected because I missed some things at the beginning.

However, I am probably more the sort of player it is directed at, since I tend to scour the landscape in games.

Melchiah

I didn't really mind searching for things and it actually made the experience more unexpected because I missed some things at the beginning.

However, I am probably more the sort of player it is directed at, since I tend to scour the landscape in games.

Same here. I enjoyed to explore the surroundings, but I did have to return to the beginning area, because I had missed some stuff there. Even so, it's definitely one of my favorite games fo the year.

Top Bottom