• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Walt Disney community thread: the Man, the Mouse, and their legacy.

Just booked a week stay at the Boardwalk Inn Villas borrowing points from a DVC owner.

lost-jack-football-spike.gif

Just booked a week stay at the Boardwalk Inn Villas borrowing points from a DVC owner.

Got mine in September for AKL. 6d/5n for about half the price of the same stay at a Moderate. First time doing it, if it goes well we'll probably end up doing it again. I picked the tickets up off Undercover Tourist, who I used before.

Got mine in September for AKL. 6d/5n for about half the price of the same stay at a Moderate. First time doing it, if it goes well we'll probably end up doing it again. I picked the tickets up off Undercover Tourist, who I used before.

My GF and I are going down the last week of January.

Can't beat a week at the BWV, with the BW View for pretty much a grand.

I really wanted the Wilderness Lodge Villas but they weren't available for the bulk of the week.

Still need to get tickets, we're both mulling over getting APs. Thinking about using my Target Red Card and stock up on the Disney Gift Cards and getting 5% off of them to put towards an AP.

Xun

Reading The Illusion of Life. Is there any good supplementary material I should follow up with?
If you're learning animation definitely look into The Animator's Survival Kit by Richard Williams, since it's a must for any animator.

JMizzlin

Wow, posted here then didn't follow up, sorry!

what did you work on?

I was in entertainment; had some tall friends. Was an absolute blast.

How do most people get full-time jobs at Disney? Seems like they don't publicly post a lot of their openings, I'm guessing they mostly promote from within.

I regret not doing the Disney College program when I was still in University.

Full-time jobs are all internal, at least on the park level. There's a pretty big list, at least in entertainment. CP's usually go part-time after their program then need to work damn hard to get full-time. I know about 2-3 people from my program who went full-time but that took about a year after their program.

Pro

This isn't an official announcement of the "Star Wars Land" expansion at HS but it sounds pretty close to it:

http://www.disneydining.com/breaking-news-star-wars-coming-disney-park-soon/

From what I gather it is more or less "official". It's going to happen. I'm really excited for this just because the Star Wars universe is the neatest. If it can feel like places in the Star Wars universe it will be really awesome.

Here is another link as well.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/08/05/star-wars-disney-parks_n_5653067.html

Can you explain how DVC works outside of a sales pitch?

A DVC Resort (like Old Key West, Animal Kingdom Lodge Kidani Village/Jambo House Villas etc) is a resident-owned property. You buy a share of that property and a starting number of DVC points (at a set dollar amount per point) and continue pay into it with your yearly dues (mortgage). That resort is your HOME resort.

To stay at a DVC property, you use your points you bought with your initial by-in as a DVC member. So, if your home resort is Old Key West at WDW, you would trade in points for a room at a lower rate than you would for a room at Bay Lake Tower @ the Contemporary. A 5-night week stay at AKL Jambo house was between 48 and 88 points, depending on the room you wanted. More expensive rooms are more points.

There are some decent benefits. You can book a room and have the dining plan without needing a park ticket package. You can use your points at any DVC resort, in WDW, DL, or even Alunai in Hawaii. Rooms almost usually have a full kitchen or kitchenette.

What I'm doing, is "borrowing" points. Members who don't or can't use all their points in a calendar year can use a third party site to resell their points at a higher rate than they pay per year for them, thus profit for themselves and the renting site. The rooms end up being cheaper for the end consumer than you would pay for the same room as a non-DVC member. My total price for a Deluxe resort was less than the same nights stay at a Moderate resort like Port Orleans.

If you borrow though, you have no control over the reservation. Guest services won'e even talk to you, they only talk to the member who made the reservation. It's in your name, but at the end of the day the DVC member has full control and has to make the reservation and all modifications to it. So there is a level of trust there.

Can you explain how DVC works outside of a sales pitch?

I don't own any DVC. However there are certain websites which act as an intermediary for people who have DVC and won't be able to use their allotment and end up renting them out to other people.

I have no clue the contract details for people who buy DVC straight from Disney. It seems like you're pretty much pre-paying for 20/30/40 years worth of vacation.

Velcro Fly

Been to Disney World last summer and this summer. While there all I do is complain to myself about how it's hot and how I hate all the strollers and getting run over by them. I have fun but it's like wow can't wait to leave. But now I'm like damn that was a lot of fun. I still have the mickey mouse that I drew up on my fridge. It really was a fun time.

Been to Disney World last summer and this summer. While there all I do is complain to myself about how it's hot and how I hate all the strollers and getting run over by them. I have fun but it's like wow can't wait to leave. But now I'm like damn that was a lot of fun. I still have the mickey mouse that I drew up on my fridge. It really was a fun time.

I can't stand people who believe because they have strollers they can use them as battering rams to get through the crowds.

daydream

Banned
Two books arrived today. The Illusion of Life which I don't have to say anything about, obviously, and this one: http://www.amazon.de/Entenhausen-ganze-Wahrheit-PaTrick-Bahners/dp/340644802X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1407754691&sr=8-1&keywords=entenhausen

It's supposed to be an excellent critical analysis of Duckburg. Hope it gets translated someday so that y'all can read it.

Also, is it true that you guys never got the famous pocket books (Lustige Taschenbücher here):

tIHRD6a_Die-Lichtdiebe-von-Kristalon-LTB-269-Lus.jpg

I should take a picture of my collection sometime. I stopped buying them years, ago, though, since the stories got weaker and weaker (as you're probably all aware). This one is one of my all-time favourites:

ltb005.gif

Amazing comic (it's the one where Scrooge is sending Donald around the world as a salesman for typewriters). I even have an original copy (where pages are interchangeably Black&White/coloured) instead of the reprint.

Tarzan on blu ray is tomorrow. effing finally.

Was Hercules already released or I have to keep waiting for it?

Two books arrived today. The Illusion of Life which I don't have to say anything about, obviously, and this one: http://www.amazon.de/Entenhausen-ganze-Wahrheit-PaTrick-Bahners/dp/340644802X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1407754691&sr=8-1&keywords=entenhausen

It's supposed to be an excellent critical analysis of Duckburg. Hope it gets translated someday so that y'all can read it.

Also, is it true that you guys never got the famous pocket books (Lustige Taschenbücher here):

tIHRD6a_Die-Lichtdiebe-von-Kristalon-LTB-269-Lus.jpg

Is that your collection? :O

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
I don't own any DVC. However there are certain websites which act as an intermediary for people who have DVC and won't be able to use their allotment and end up renting them out to other people.

I have no clue the contract details for people who buy DVC straight from Disney. It seems like you're pretty much pre-paying for 20/30/40 years worth of vacation.

I've been a DVC member for a few years now, and it is excellent. So far we've used our points for:

4 nights at Disney's Hilton Head Island resort
2 nights at the Hotel Del Coronado in San Diego, *ON* the beach. As in, walk out the sliding doors, across the paved boardwalk & onto the sand. Would've stayed a third night but (at the time) they didn't take Saturday night reservations through DVC.
3 nights in a Savannah-view room at Animal Kingdom Lodge -- this was for a full suite (separate bedroom, living room, dining room, kitchen) PLUS an attached studio my parents stayed in.
6 nights at Topnotch Resort in Stowe, VT in early December a couple years ago
2 nights at the Disneyland Hotel, in a park view room on a high floor. We were able to watch the big water/light show at California Adventure from our room, with the sound coming from the TV.

And this year, we're staying 7 nights at the Caribbean Beach Club resort at WDW.

It's awesome. We've made great use of our points. Some time we want to get out to Aulani (the Hawaiian resort), and we're going to use our points to (at least slightly) offset the cost of an "Adventures by Disney" European tour in a couple years. Probably do a cruise at some point as well.

RIP to a legend, you will be sorely missed.

I think that I should rewatch aladdin tonight, and pour one out to a great man.

Just wrote my condolences in the other thread, but its still so sad :(
Even if the genie doesnt resonate me as Robin Williams (Spain had another actor doing the voice and he did one of the greatest most amazing jobs ever in dub, although Ive seen the movie with original voice a few times) I still tear a little every time someone posts an image with the genie today :(

Oh no, I have more LTBs, but with some big gaps, mostly. Complete sets are mostly of newer stuff, from when I had a subscription. Will try and take a pic in the next few days.

That would be great!

Christopher

OK guys were taking a cruise and going to Disney in October a couple of questions...

Is the lines dead around this time?

When do they start putting up Halloween thjngs?

Does Epcot do Halloween as well?

If you had to choose between Animal Kingdom Epcot or Hollywood studios what would you choose?

Last question there's no kind of deals right?

Is the lines dead around this time?

Probably not, but not particularly busy either. It really depends which park you go to on which days. Magic Kingdom will close early (7pm) on days they do the Halloween party so people that don't participate tend to go to other parks to get the most out of their ticket, but you might be able to do more at Magic Kingdom on those days because of the lower crowds despite the early closing. Epcot will be extremely busy on those days.

When do they start putting up Halloween thjngs?

Mid September. Keep I mind that without going to the Halloween party itself, there isn't much to the Halloween season to enjoy outside of a few decorations around Magic Kingdom. It's not like Disneyland where some of the rides get actual Halloween layovers.

Does Epcot do Halloween as well?

Nope, but the Food & Wine Festival will be throughout October.

If you had to choose between Animal Kingdom Epcot or Hollywood studios what would you choose?

Epcot because of Food & Wine. Hollywood Studios edges out Animal Kingdom for me slightly because of the attraction types that I personally enjoy. Hollywood Studios will also be open longer so your ticket value is better there if you don't have park hoppers.

Last question there's no kind of deals right?

For resorts? Their current offer is 15%-30% off rack rates depending on the resort. You can check that directly on the Disney World website. There are a few 3rd party ticket sellers like Undercover Tourist that sells tickets cheaper but the savings are mostly noticeable for longer stays.

Enfinit

Just picked up Marty Sklar's "Dream It! Do It!" biography. I'm quite excited to dive into it soon, however I was curious if DisneyGAF had any opinions on it!

TEJ

Okay, I need to ask

How good is the "shades of green" resort"? That's the one my dad is paying for us to go to next year......I think? He told me it was some hotel meant for people who were in the military. do they have themed rooms?

How far is that away from the animal kingdom? I plan on going to the animal kingdom once every day for a few hours.

also, how expensive is the merch? I plan on saving a few hundred dollars exclusively for buying stuff.

also I have never been to the animal kingdom....last time I went to disneyworld was when I was 4.....and that was over two decades ago. and I assume that there are lions and tigers in the animal kingdom?

Okay, I need to ask

How good is the "shades of green" resort"? That's the one my dad is paying for us to go to next year......I think? He told me it was some hotel meant for people who were in the military. do they have themed rooms?

How far is that away from the animal kingdom? I plan on going to the animal kingdom once every day for a few hours.

also, how expensive is the merch? I plan on saving a few hundred dollars exclusively for buying stuff.

Shades of Green is owned an operated by the Department of Defense, so yes, for military folks. My uncle is retired Navy and we spent a night there. It's near the Grand Floridian, so pretty much the farthest from the Animal Kingdom. The rooms aren't themed but the grounds are pretty nice. It is more or less a deluxe-level resort.

I don't think any busses are shared with Shades of Green so there's that. Transpo to Animal Kingdom from the MK area isn't that bad though. It's usually back to the resort that kind of sucks because the bus usually stops at Blizzard Beach first. It's probably like a 15-20 min drive to AK depending on the driver. I have no clue if Shades has a bus dispatcher so I don't know how often they show up.

EDIT: The star attraction at AK is Kilimanjaro Safaris so be sure to get a fastpass for that. Tigers and other animals that are more native to Asia are in a more zoo-like part of the park. Expedition Everest is fun too. It has good capacity but worth getting a fastpass for.

TEJ

Thanks

another thing. How much should I save up if I want to go to the AK every day?

also will I get to celebrate my 30th birthday by eating breakfast with mickey?

Thanks

another thing. How much should I save up if I want to go to the AK every day?

also will I get to celebrate my 30th birthday by eating breakfast with mickey?

I'm not sure what you mean. Like, save money for merch?

If you want to eat breakfast with Mickey, get a reservation for Chef Mickey's at the Contemporary resort or Tusker House at Animal Kingdom. Chef Mickey's is the most popular because it features the fab five. It's one of the more difficult reservations to get. Tusker House is pretty doable. The characters dress up in safari gear. It's also possible to get a reservation for Tusker House before Animal Kingdom opens on most days it doesn't have extra hours. This is nice because you can walk through the park while it's mostly empty and get that nice picture of the Tree of Life without anyone else in it. The restaurant is also near Kilimanjaro Safaris so if your reservation is early enough, by the time you finish you can get in line before it builds up to much. Just don't rush your meal to do so and be sure to meet all the characters. If you opt to do that be sure to check the opening times of Animal Kingdom.

TEJ

I didn't know if going to the animal kingdom cost extra

*is fairly ignorant on how disneyworld works, hasn't been there in a long time*

Also, any advice on what to do when I get there during late june? I think I can handle the florida heat, where i'm from it's very hot and humid during the summer months.

Also, how are you expected to behave at disneyworld aside from common sense stuff?

what are some attractions you think i'll like?

Jailer what exactly does the food and wine festival entail? Also, what fastpass do you think I should use in Epcot?

It's Epcot's most popular event. There are all sorts of stuff from additional food booths set up around the World Showcase, seminars about food and drink such as mixology, and extra musical performances. Everything is served in small portions so you can try as many different things as you can. You can check here for what kinds of things you can expect: http://www.wdwinfo.com/wdwinfo/guides/epcot/events/index.htm

For fastpasses, the way they set it up for Epcot (and Hollywood Studios) in tiers really sucks:

Epcot Group A (choose 1):
•IllumiNations: Reflections of Earth
•Living with the Land
•Soarin'
•Test Track

Epcot Group B (choose 2):
•Captain EO
•Character Spot
•Journey Into Imagination
•Maelstrom
•Mission: SPACE
•Spaceship Earth
•The Seas with Nemo & Friends
•Turtle Talk with Crush

So for your 3 allotments you have to pick one from group 1 and two from group 2. I think most people tend to pick Soarin' from group 1 and ride the single rider line for Test Track. Single rider goes pretty quick. If you want to ride with your group, you'll need to wait in stand-by. If you get in line ~20mins before park close, there isn't much of a wait. You may not be able to watch Illuminations that way though because the Test Track total experience is pretty long and the show will start by the time you get off. The wait for Living with the Land is never particularly long. It closes at 7pm usually. Tier 2 selections are kind of a crap shoot because often you'll find there is no line, but since it's Food & Wine time, the crowds might be worse for Epcot. Anyways you'll save the most time with Spaceship Earth, Mission Space, or Maelstrom. Once you use all 3 FP, you can book a 4th. Once you use your 4th, you can book a 5th and so on. So it's very beneficial to book all 3 early on. By 11am or noon, expect FPs for both Soarin' and Test Track to be gone. Personally, I just pick Test Track because Soarin' is so much more easily experienced in Disneyland where I visit more frequently.

I didn't know if going to the animal kingdom cost extra

*is fairly ignorant on how disneyworld works, hasn't been there in a long time*

Also, any advice on what to do when I get there during late june? I think I can handle the florida heat, where i'm from it's very hot and humid during the summer months.

Also, how are you expected to behave at disneyworld aside from common sense stuff?

what are some attractions you think i'll like?

How many days are you going? And if you have a multi-day ticket, you just pick a park for every day you go. There's only an extra charge if you get the park hopper option, if you want to go to more than one park a day.

I can't stand humid weather lol. I'm from UT, 2nd driest in the US so I suffer quite badly in Florida heat. I find that it actually helps to wear a moisture wicking undershirt to absorb sweat because it is inevitable.

7 days

also, apparently this little dude named Nathaniel Semsen will be voicing prince kion in The Lion Guard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7TRMplI9xIk&list=UUdjzM99EO3bP9HkUdv4Zd-A

with a bit of practice and with help from disney

I7G4JoX.jpg

Nice, 7 days. I think you'll do fine. Even though Shades is not owned by Disney, guests still get the same on-site benefits like the extra magic hours and merchandise room delivery. When it comes to the bus, you can probably take a bus from a park to say, the Polynesian, and walk to Shades from there, if you just miss a bus back or something. Also keep in mind that Shades guests don't get free parking at the parks if you drive yourself. I personally hate parking trams so I avoid it if I have a car anyways.

TEJ

Sweeeeeeeeeeeeet

There's going to be an avengers game on the 3DS, by namco bandai. Not the platinum games avengers title I wanted, but hey, it has my purchase.

also, there will be a muppets title on the vita. It doesn't look bad?

also donald, aladdin, and jasmine have been confirmed for disney infinity 2.0

I think the guardians of the galaxy deserve their own game.

TEJ

hate to double post but several disney channels will be airing aladdin this weekend at several times per day in honor of mr williams

Just went to disneyland yesterday and I was hoping for more marvel merchandise :( they have a little bit of Guardians stuff at the star wars store. I'm more than happy to see the spiderman mouse ears though, even if they never get the movie rights back at least Mickey can still be like "I own dis"

Fathead

Back from our week. Got all 4 parks and both water parks. Only ride we missed was Test Track, got beat by weather twice. Got all the Princesses except Mulan who had a huge line when we went through China. Only a 20 minute wait for Anna and Elsa which I consider my crowning achievement as a trip planner lol.

Soarin and the family slide at Blizzard Beach were the group favorites. My son loved the Agent P game in Epcot and my daughter thought the Seven Dwarfs mine train was "the best ride ever".

Christopher

Back from our week. Got all 4 parks and both water parks. Only ride we missed was Test Track, got beat by weather twice. Got all the Princesses except Mulan who had a huge line when we went through China. Only a 20 minute wait for Anna and Elsa which I consider my crowning achievement as a trip planner lol.

Soarin and the family slide at Blizzard Beach were the group favorites. My son loved the Agent P game in Epcot and my daughter thought the Seven Dwarfs mine train was "the best ride ever".

How old are your kids mine won't grow up dadt enoigh to enjoy it yet!

TEJ

I dont know how to feel. I like the idea.
Dont want to go to watch it hyped, but it probably it turns out to be great, just like Frozen and Ralph.

Also I see youve changed your avatar to the lion king, tej.

I hope it's as good as tangled. I mean I liked Frozen and WiR but tangled was my favorite of the three.

TEJ

My favourite is Ralph, but Tangled is awesome too.

I honestly think disney is really hitting their stride when it comes to CGI movies.

Not as good as classic disney or the renaissance but way better than the post renaissance era until bolt {i'll admit it, I liked bolt}

The best post renaissance disney animated film was lilo and stitch.

I honestly think disney is really hitting their stride when it comes to CGI movies.

Not as good as classic disney or the renaissance but way better than the post renaissance era until bolt {i'll admit it, I liked bolt}

The best post renaissance disney animated film was lilo and stitch.

I really think bolt was the starting point of the good CGI disney. Is not even remotely as good as any of the new ones, but it was a nice little movie.
It's a pity they are not going back with 2D like Princess and the frog though.

Top Bottom