• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wii U Speculation Thread VI: The Undiscovered Country

Status
Not open for further replies.
I also thought the CGI in jurassic park had aged very well, however upon further googling i found that a lot of what aged well, was in fact animatronics.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7193/6947974407_089f5dd9b6.jpg

The animatronics were fantastic and key in keeping the spfx output balanced but look at the scene where the T-Rex comes out of the fence for the first time (CGI), chases after Malcolm as he runs with the flare (CGI, looks like he's being chased by a real, living, breathing animal stomping in the mud right behind the actor), or the CGI raptor scenes in the kitchen. Another amazing near live animal-quality CGI shot is after Dr. Grant kicks the Raptor in the head and you see it laying on the floor below twitching in fetal position right before it gets back up to take another jump at the ceiling. AMAZING.

Linkhero1

The one thing I notice on gaming forums is I'll see this quote:

"I have no interest in (insert game title here) but I'm glad the system is getting more support."

I saw this quote mentioned a lot whenever Grand Theft Auto 5 was mentioned as a possible title for Wii U on a lot of Nintendo forums.

What's the point about being glad for more support if Nintendo fans have no interest in those games? Just to brag about having games available for that system?

People are glad because it can possibly help build the Wii U userbase. Also if developers who are worried about putting their M rated title on the Wii U see a game as GTA V selling on the Wii U, they won't be afraid to put their M rated titles on the console. This is all hypothetical, so it might not happen like that but we'd like to believe it does.

The idea that that game (especially something as huge as GTAV) will bring other games to the system that you may be interested in?

Beaten by one sentence :(

Oddduck

The idea that that game (especially something as huge as GTAV) will bring other games to the system that you may be interested in?

Shocking!

But if the game bombs, it will do the reverse effect, and it may even make a publisher/developer bitter towards supporting future Nintendo consoles.

Dead or Alive Dimensions bombed on 3DS. Team Ninja seems reluctant to ever put another DoA game on Nintendo hardware ever again.

Roo

People were port begging for Tomb Raider on Wii U but how many people here really plan to buy Tomb Raider on Wii U? Eidos is smart because they know Nintendo fans aren't into Tomb Raider.

I wasn't port begging but I really wanted Tomb Raider on Wii U
it's one of my favorite third party franchises and I was really dissapointed when CD said there wouldn't be a Wii U version after buying Underworld and Anniversary for Wii.

That was like.. fuck Nintendo fans.
And hopefully the delay to 2013 means there's a small (almost non-existent, really) chance to see it on Nintendo's console.

Deguello

"I have no interest in (insert game title here) but I'm glad the system is getting more support."

I saw this quote mentioned a lot whenever Grand Theft Auto 5 was mentioned as a possible title for Wii U on a lot of Nintendo forums.

What's the point about being glad for more support if Nintendo fans have no interest in those games? Just to brag about having games available for that system? I see this quote every day, and I just don't like it.

I don't see how a few guys on a forum can speak for all Wii U owners or "Nintendo fans." But to answer your question, bigger and better third party games that come out and become a success will lead to more and different games in the future. So, while I, personally, may not be as interested in GTA 5 as the next guy, if it comes out on Wii U and is a success, they'll likely bring more games to the problem, some of which may actually be games I do enjoy. Seems logical to me.

But if the game bombs, it will do the reverse effect, and it may even make a publisher/developer bitter towards supporting future Nintendo consoles.

Dead or Alive Dimensions bombed on 3DS. Team Ninja seems reluctant to ever put another DoA game on Nintendo hardware ever again.

Yeah that's called taking a risk. Sometimes you have to do it in business ventures. Sometimes good games don't sell well. Sucks, but thems the breaks. What's your solution? No third party games at all? I mean you'd be safe from the reverse effect of the game bombing, right?

Antman2012

Neo Member

At 250k sales, It likely didn't hurt them too bad but I think the game and brand itself has more to do with this than anything.

Dead or alive - Nintendo fans don't care about it or the franchise.

GTA - Nintendo fans care and will support it due to its famous nature and rare Occurrences on nintendo platforms. (Chinatown wars doesn't count because it was top-down)

Oddduck

People are glad because it can possibly help build the Wii U userbase. Also if developers who are worried about putting their M rated title on the Wii U see a game as GTA V selling on the Wii U, they won't be afraid to put their M rated titles on the console. This is all hypothetical, so it might not happen like that but we'd like to believe it does.

I don't know, all of those M rated games did nothing to get third parties to care about GameCube or Wii.

Rockstar put Manhunt 2 on Wii and didn't sell well.
Rockstar put Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars on DS and it sold under their expectations.

Konami put out MGS: Twin Snakes and MGS3D and both sold under expectations for GameCube/3DS. So why people expect an MGS on Wii U, I don't know.

Capcom put out all of those Resident Evil games on GameCube and it didn't make Konami want to put Silent Hill 2 and 3 on GameCube.

And when Konami did put out Silent Hill: Shattered Dreams on Wii, it bombed in sales. And it was an actual good game.

I think publishers/developers realize that Nintendo fans only buy first party stuff, and if they buy a third party game, they are very selective.

Edit: I realize a lot of this should be blamed on poor marketing.

Izick

I won't lie, Rockstar's multplayer in games is getting better and better, so they'll have to really sell me on GTA V for Wii U to pick it up over 360, since all my friends are on there.

Roo

I don't know, all of those M rated games did nothing to get third parties to care about GameCube or Wii.

Rockstar put Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars on DS and it sold under their expectations.

Konami put out MGS: Twin Snakes and MGS3D and both sold under expectations for GameCube/3DS. So why people expect an MGS on Wii U, I don't know.

Capcom put out all of those Resident Evil games on GameCube and it didn't make Konami want to put Silent Hill 2 and 3 on GameCube.

And when Konami did put out Silent Hill: Shattered Dreams on Wii, it bombed in sales. And it was an actual good game.

I think publishers/developers realize that Nintendo fans only buy first party stuff, and if they buy a third party game, they are very selective.

Edit: I realize a lot of this should be blamed on poor marketing.

Guilty!!!!

:D

Fantastical

Death Prophet

Manhunt 2 and Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars are both terrible examples. Manhunt 2 is a bad game that got censored and Chinatown Wars is a top down GTA that bombed even harder on PSP afterwards.

RE and Twin Snakes are your only good examples, honestly. You can't fault people for not buying bad or controversial (this isn't the word I'm looking for but games that really separate whether people like them or not) games.

I feel like you are being a bit overly pessimistic here. I agree that third parties don't traditionally get a lot of support from Nintendo fans, but I feel like that can change and I think Nintendo can help. Nintendo markets their machines as devices to play Mario games and guess what... their audience wants to play Mario games.

Terrell

What's the point about being glad for more support if Nintendo fans have no interest in those games? Just to brag about having games available for that system? I see this quote every day, and I just don't like it.

Well, I don't like GTA, either, but I'm happy that Wii U is getting it for the simple fact that, for the people that DO care about it, they can have it, possibly with something you won't find in other versions.

It's about not begrudging other people's tastes... y'know, it's an ADULT thing.

DoA Dimensions bombed for a LOT of reasons. 3D fighters on handhelds are bombing left, right and center, as I recall, and even the 2.5D ones are struggling. Fighting games on handhelds just don't have a huge appeal. I'm sure that Team Ninja will understand that when they look around at their competitors, considering anyone with BRAINS could see why it happened.

And let's be logical... Zack & Wiki sure didn't make Capcom bitter or hesitant to bring Monster Hunter to Nintendo's doorstep.

RedSwirl

I think the turning point of IGN was that horrible editorial from 2009 that essentially lambasted their readers for making New Super Mario Bros. Wii a smashing success and ignoring 'Splosion Man. That's what readers want to see when they login to their news site, right? "Top Story: You Suck." It's one thing to go after a company that people enjoy the products of. Most aren't willing to jump in front of a bullet for them, although they might heavily question why you are firing at them so intently. But when the gun is turned towards the readers, most would bail out and seek news elsewhere. Nobody wants to be called an asshole right when they enter the door.

It's no secret that the rise of Nintendo fan blogs like that site comes directly as a result of disillusionment from the big players, IGN for their seeming unwillingness to do their jobs and gamespot for their elitist, nitpicky scoring system and their penchant for accepting bribes for reviews as was the case in the Kane and Lynch fiasco, calling into question whether they were harshly critical because they felt that way or because the check didn't clear. According to Alexa, a lot of the big media sites have been losing traffic since early 2010, and I'd say it's a pretty reasonable conclusion that it's because they ran off 90 million potential readers.

Now some of these fanblogs do have an echo chamber effect where criticisms of Nintendo, even when valid, are viewed with skepticism. But that's a direct reaction to how the big sites behaved when they made clear that they just didn't seem interested in Nintendo and would rather do something else. IF you had to pick between a brown-nosing yes-man or a nitpicking jerk who slammed you for every move, right or wrong, which would you choose?

This isn't new. You pretty much just explained the entire mindset of Nintendo fanboys since the N64 era. The only difference is that now their last refuge at IGN's Nintendo section is pretty much gone.

Deguello

Manhunt 2 didn't sell well anywhere, and ditto GTA Chinatown Wars. It's not like they were million sellers otherwise.

Metal Gear has had some hilarious games not do well, like Metal Gear Acid and Peace Walker which bombed like crazy on the PSP (in America). Somehow I doubt Konami is going to blame Sony for it.

In fact, I think you re taking a few bombs and somehow indicting the entire userbase as if they all turned up their nose at the game or something.

As a counter-example, Monster Hunter 3G is currently keeping pace with two of Nintendo's first party titles (which apparently are the only games that sell well on Nintendo's platforms) and it's because it's a high quality game they marketed the hell out of, instead of an under-the-radar spinoff they stealth launched into Wolf Camera stores only. Holy Shit, maybe they should try that more often!

Oddduck

Manhunt 2 and Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars are both terrible examples. Manhunt 2 is a bad game that got censored and Chinatown Wars is a top down GTA that bombed even harder on PSP afterwards.

RE and Twin Snakes are your only good examples, honestly. You can't fault people for not buying bad or controversial (this isn't the word I'm looking for but games that really separate whether people like them or not).

I feel like you are being a bit overly pessimistic here. I agree that third parties don't traditionally get a lot of support from Nintendo fans, but I feel like that can change and I think Nintendo can help. Nintendo markets their machines as devices to play Mario games and guess what... their audience wants to play Mario games.

The only thing I blame third parties for is poor marketing of their games for Nintendo hardware.

I don't blame Nintendo gamers. Third parties blame Nintendo gamers. Not me.

If a game like Silent Hill: Shattered Dreams had better marketing, it would have shown people, "Look, M rated games do come to Nintendo!"

Why Nintendo and Konami didn't push harder on Twin Snakes marketing, I have no fucking clue.

But honestly, I believe third party poor sales are to be blamed on two things.

1) Many hardcore nintendo fans are multi-console owners and prefer their third party games on Microsoft/Sony consoles.

And

2) Third parties do a horrible job marketing adult games for Nintendo hardware.

Linkhero1

Well those are pretty bad examples to be honest. I didn't know anyone who was looking forward to Manhunt 2. GTA Chinatown Wars was bound to fail. There are only a handful of people who preferred the over-the-top to actual mainline GTA game. Pretty sure Konami had other reasons for alienating the GC when it came to Silent Hill.

While I do agree with you that it's true that publishers and developers believe that Nintendo fans are selective when it comes to purchasing games, that shouldn't stop them from bringing their franchises over to the Wii U. GTA V is one of those games Nintendo fans are actually willing to buy, but not only would they buy it, it would also attract other people who are not interested in Nintendo's first party alone. If GTA V is successful, this could mean more third parties are willing to try and put their games on the Wii U. That doesn't necessarily mean their games will be successful, but they'll take a chance. Like I said it's a pretty hypothetical situation, but we'll see.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
People point out these third party games that don't do well on Nintendo system, and a lot of them are victims of self-fulfilling prophecies.

Traditionally, 3rd parties don't have a lot of success on Nintendo platforms, and then publishers don't advertise them or make them subpar experiences and wonder why no one buys them (Dead Space: Extraction I'm looking at you). There are, of course, legitimate examples of high quality 3rd party games that are largely ignored by the Nintendo audience, but I feel the issue has been perhaps unfairly magnified.

One of these legitimate examples is RE and RE4 on the Gamecube. The counter argument is of course the success Capcom had initially with RE4: Wii Edition and RE: Umbrella Chronicles. They then threw this chance away by doing nothing with it.

Oddduck

Well those are pretty bad examples to be honest. I didn't know anyone who was looking forward to Manhunt 2. GTA Chinatown Wars was bound to fail. There are only a handful of people who preferred the over-the-top to actual mainline GTA game. Pretty sure Konami had other reasons for alienating the GC when it came to Silent Hill.

While I do agree with you that it's true that publishers and developers believe that Nintendo fans are selective when it comes to purchasing games, that shouldn't stop them from bringing their franchises over to the Wii U. GTA V is one of those games Nintendo fans are actually willing to buy, but not only would they buy it, it would also attract other people who are not interested in Nintendo's first party alone. If GTA V is successful, this could mean more third parties are willing to try and put their games on the Wii U. That doesn't necessarily mean their games will be successful, but they'll take a chance. Like I said it's a pretty hypothetical situation, but we'll see.

I don't see why their bad examples to be honest. I picked out the only GTA/MGS/Silent Hill games for Nintendo hardware available.

The only M rated series that has been super successful on GameCube/Wii was Resident Evil.

During the N64 days, I would say Turok was the most successful M rated franchise.

Other than that, can people here give me better examples of M rated games that sold a lot on Nintendo hardware?

1) Many hardcore nintendo fans are multi-console owners and prefer their third party games on Microsoft/Sony consoles.

Is that what they prefer, or is that the only way they can have access to the games?

I think if given the option they would want to own just one console.

EDarkness

Whoa, since when is Shattered Dimensions a good game? Just about everyone I know and lots of people on this very forum say it's not that great.

Thing is, I think it's hard to use the Wii since so many people were soiled by 3rd party games. So many crappy efforts, that by the time someone actually did anything of value, the market was poisoned. I'll never forget the guy who bought the Wii Wolverine game only to find that it was nothing like the trailers. Damn, that guy was so pissed to almost the point of crying. At the store I was working at we could sympathize with him, but all we could do was let him trade in his game for a fraction of what he paid for it. He traded in his Wii a few days later. Yeah, gotta love this generation.

AniHawk

there are valid reasons behind almost all of those. manhunt 2 bombed on pretty much everything, to date selling about 400k across all systems it released on. the same is true of chinatown wars, which sold like poorly even on the system that had sold millions of gta games already.

silent hill's also a franchise that's been run into the ground. shattered memories didn't do well, but neither did downpour. i think the best-selling silent hill thing of the last five years was silent hill origins. homecoming comes close though.

i'd say a good example of a hyped game selling poorly is madworld. sure it was a niche sort of thing like bayonetta or vanquish or infinite space, but it had an ad campaign with commercials on tv and everything, was pretty bloody, rated m and all that jazz, and then completely underwhelmed and then some when it came out. and it released in 2009 when wii sales weren't completely dead.

Oddduck

Is that what they prefer, or is that the only way they can have access to the games?

I think if given the option they would want to own just one console.

A good example of this was The Godfather.

The Godfather on Wii was way more fun than the 360/PS3 versions.

Yet Godfather sold way more on 360/PS3. I'm sure there's many reasons for this, but this is one example.

Linkhero1

I don't see why their bad examples to be honest. I picked out the only GTA/MGS/Silent Hill games for Nintendo hardware available.

The only M rated series that has been super successful on GameCube/Wii was Resident Evil.

During the N64 days, I would say Turok was the most successful M rated franchise.

Other than that, can people here give me better examples of M rated games that sold a lot on Nintendo hardware?

I'd love to give better examples but there isn't much.

Terrell

The only thing I blame third parties for is poor marketing of their games for Nintendo hardware.

I don't blame Nintendo gamers. Third parties blame Nintendo gamers. Not me.

If a game like Silent Hill: Shattered Dreams had better marketing, it would have shown people, "Look, M rated games do come to Nintendo!"

Why Nintendo and Konami didn't push harder on Twin Snakes marketing, I have no fucking clue.

And

2) Third parties do a horrible job marketing adult games for Nintendo hardware.

3rd parties do a horrible job marketing PERIOD.

As for Konami games, they have been marketing their way to oblivion for a while now. Take a look at Silent Hill Downpour as an example.... actually, on second thought, DON'T. It was that bad.

Let's take Konami's shitty-ass decisions off the table entirely, first and foremost. They can't even win over the hardcore market on current hardcore platforms, I doubt we're going to see a change in that.

I mean, MGS3D was delayed until after the release of MGS HD Collection... who's going to want it then? "It's 3D and portable" isn't that big of a selling point for MGS, as the PSP games made abundantly clear.

But the reason Wii games didn't get marketing dollars is simple... they were more concerned about selling the HD games they spent a shit-ton making.

Most M rated games that publishers put on Nintendo platforms are brands that have been esablished on or are mainly associated with another platform. Additionally, marketing of said titles on Nintendo platforms are less than stellar. You can't sell GTA on Playstation for 6 years and hope that a DS entry (4-5 years in its life cycle) and bitch since it didn't hit numbers and your marketing was on par with a Petz title. Metal Gear, Dead Space, Resident Evil, Silent Hill, GT, etc.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Whoa, since when is Shattered Dimensions a good game? Just about everyone I know and lots of people on this very forum say it's not that great.

I love Shattered Memories, but I'll be the first to admit its a polarizing game that many people didn't like.

Also, when did this become about M rated games? I thought we were talking about 3rd party games in general. Did the goal post move at some point?

i'd say a good example of a hyped game selling poorly is madworld. sure it was a niche sort of thing like bayonetta or vanquish or infinite space, but it had an ad campaign with commercials on tv and everything, was pretty bloody, rated m and all that jazz, and then completely underwhelmed and then some when it came out. and it released in 2009 when wii sales weren't completely dead.

Yeah, I was thinking of that. I think it's still a bit unfair because of how niche it is, but that had a good chance of selling surprisingly well, and it didn't.

Oddduck

Personally, if there is one game where I hope the Wii U version outsells the 360/PS3 versions, it is Aliens: Colonial Marines.

It seems like Gearbox is really putting actual effort into the Wii U version.

Deguello

When did this become about M ratings?

You know this is something that bugs me. Take Sonic for example. Sonic does his best on Nintendo platforms. It's not even a contest. Sonic's games on GC/WII/GBA/DS all outperformed every one of their PS360/PSP counterparts. And not just outperformed, the PS360/PSP games most of the time out and out bombed. Yet for some reason Sega never held the PS3, the 360, nor the PSP userbase "accountable" for it and stopped making Sonic games for it. Yet somehow it's apparently logical to hold Nintendo's userbase accountable for every game that bombs, regardless of any circumstance.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Personally, if there is one game where I hope the Wii U version outsells the 360/PS3 versions, it is Aliens: Colonial Marines.

I agree, but I don't see it doing very well anywhere. If it is a pretty good game I'm definitely looking to pick it up... I just wish it came out closer to Prometheus. :(

Im thinking Sega might pull a coup and make Aliens a timed exclusive.

On Wii U? I REALLY don't see that happening.

antonz

Im thinking Sega might pull a coup and make Aliens a timed exclusive.

Terrell

Wouldn't it be a scream if Gearbox and Sega waited to announce the WiiU release date of the game when it was delayed to February because that will be the LEAD PLATFORM?!

When was the last time you heard the words "lead platform" in relation to a game released on a Nintendo console?

fernoca

No More Heroes did well on Wii also. The Call of Duty games did quite well too (with the exception of MW3). Mortal Kombat while the Wii only got Armageddon which was a port, did well and was a series that also sold great even as back to the SNES days with the censorship-debacle.

Now, maybe the games didn't performed as well as other versions, etc.; but things are weird like that. I mean, Resident Evil 5 did over a million on the Xbox 360 alone, even when there was no Resident Evil ever on an Xbox platform before.

Guess that on the case of Wii, visuals are important when it comes to those games; so if the people had an option on buying the Xbox 360/PS3 version of a Wii game; they of course went for it. That, and the online-multiplayer focus of those versions too; areas were the Wii (visuals, online community) lacked.

AniHawk

When did this become about M ratings?

You know this is something that bugs me. Take Sonic for example. Sonic does his best on Nintendo platforms. It's not even a contest. Sonic's games on GC/WII/GBA/DS all outperformed every one of their PS360/PSP counterparts. And not just outperformed, the PS360/PSP games most of the time out and out bombed. Yet for some reason Sega never held the PS3, the 360, nor the PSP userbase "accountable" for it and stopped making Sonic games for it. Yet somehow it's apparently logical to hold Nintendo's userbase accountable for every game that bombs, regardless of any circumstance.

wellll the ps2 versions of sonic games did nicely for themselves, and sonic 06 wound up selling like 700k-800k combined in the us, which makes it one of the best-selling in the series this gen. i think you can attribute that more to new-console hype though, like the sales for secret rings.

LOL. Who is Tre talking about?

The commenter was permabanned from GAF. He was the pinnacle of Nintendo fanboyism.

Oh yeah, he's that guy who uses his YouTube to "talk back" to GAF. He was perm'd after trolling and name calling in a Vita launch thread.

I meant in the movie. I wasn't claiming otherwise.

I know, I just couldn't resist another opportunity to be sarcastic and dismissive towards the SMB Live action movie. GabboI'maBadWiddleBoy-wish-that-was-a-GIF.gif

Deguello

Wouldn't it be a scream if Gearbox and Sega waited to announce the WiiU release date of the game when it was delayed to February because that will be the LEAD PLATFORM?!

When was the last time you heard the words "lead platform" in relation to a game released on a Nintendo console?

About a month ago, when they announced Epic Mickey 2 ;D

Oddduck

Guess that on the case of Wii, visuals are important when it comes to those games; so if the people had an option on buying the Xbox 360/PS3 version of a Wii game; they of course went for it. That, and the online-multiplayer focus of those versions too; areas were the Wii (visuals, online community) lacked.

Sometimes I think the Wii's lack of a good online community hurt third party Wii games more than just graphics. I mean look at how much kids on Xbox Live brag about their achievements and stats.

Some of those kids are super attached to their achievements/statistics on their Xbox Live gamertag and they don't want to switch to a different console because they don't want to lose all of their bragging rights that they accumulated on Xbox Live.

So when people say "Wii U will have Call of Duty with great online"...I don't know if that will matter...

Are these CoD gamers going to switch from 360 to Wii U Call of Duty? I mean half of the reason they play CoD is to brag about how good they are at the game with all of their stats/achievements listed on their profile.

Terrell

After announcing that the Wii U version wouldn't even be playable at E3?

Random reps at Sega told NWR this information. It has not been confirmed by other outlets, and there's no press release.

I'd say it could easily be a feint, so as to not spoil the big surprise.

I said I wasn't a big fan of GTA IV. But I would still want the game to come to the Wii U, NOT because I want the system to get good support, but because I'm always willing to give a new GTA a chance. i would buy it. Many people would buy it. And I think people have a right to want this game to come to the Wii U because if it does well then maybe other 3rd party games they ARE interested in will come to the Wii U. Sounds reasonable.

Random reps at Sega told NWR this information. It has not been confirmed by other outlets, and there's no press release.

I'd say it could easily be a feint, so as to not spoil the big surprise.

I'm not sure why a Sega rep would lie about it, but I guess it's possible that it's just misinformation. It's also possible that the development of the Wii U version is behind the PS3, 360 and PC's, which would also explain why Sega wasn't willing to commit to a release date for that version.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom