• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witch and the Hundred Knight |OT|

headern4ux1.png

INFORMATION said:
witch100_SE.png

• Platform: PS3
  • ESRB: T for Teen
  • Genre: Action RPG
  • Publisher/Developer: NIS America/Nippon Ichi Software
  • Release: March 21st (EU), March 25th (US)

Synopsis:

This story takes place in a familiar-sounding but twisted fantasy world. In a small forest adjacent to the Amataya kingdom lives the ugly, disgusting, and wholly unlikable Forest Witch. The genius Swamp Witch, who has a perfect figure and lusty voice, also lives nearby. As if the two were competing to learn whose magic is the strongest, they have constantly been bickering and battling for 100 years. Then one day, the Swamp Witch finds a legendary soldier slumbering in the depths of darkness, toppling the 100-year balance.

COMBAT said:
The Hundred Knight and Tactical Conversion - The Hundred Knight can equip up to five weapons simultaneously and chain them together for a maximum 5-hit combo. This system is called Tactical Conversion! The further into the combo you go, the stronger each attack becomes. Create your own unique attack patterns by equipping all manner of weapon sets.

• Sword - Perfect for slashing, this orthodox weapon has a familiar range and speed. Very easy to handle.
  • Hammer - This type of weapon is used to crush enemies. It has a short reach and is slow to swing, but its high critical hit rate is sure to intimidate your opponent.
  • Lance- Weapons under the Lance category inflict high damage and have decent range, but their narrow striking zone makes this a unique weapon class to master.
  • Staff - This type of weapon is used to cast magic spells. Each magic varies, in that they can target single or multiple foes per cast.
  • Spear - Weapons under the Spear class can be either a classic polearm or a type of halberd, single- or double-headed. Swing it in a circular motion to strike down all enemies in range.

The Hundred Knight and Sub Actions - Hundred Knight can utilize two sub actions to help control the tides of battle. You can dodge attacks at the very last moment to activate Mystical Dodge, which lets Hundred Knight become invincible and slows time temporarily. Extra Chain allows Hundred Knight to bolt to the nearest enemy at the speed of light and inflict its next attack in its weapon combo.

• Mystical Dodge - Use it to attack, retreat from enemies, and more.
  • Extra Chain - Once activated, defeat the next enemy with one shot to keep the chain going. The longer the chain, the stronger the attacks!
  • Giga Calories - Hundred Knight will grow hungry the longer it is away from Metallia. Its hunger level is measured in Giga Calories (Gcals). Once this number falls to zero, Hundred Knight will forcibly be returned home. The speed at which its Gcals deplete depends on the actions taken. If you want to quickly replenish your Gcals, consume a weakened enemy.
  • Chaos Revelation - Use Chaos Revelation to release Hundred Knight's locked potential. Using Chaos Revelation will consume Gcals at a rapid pace and will not stop until no Gcals remain. This is a special action to use against the mightiest of opponents! The Contract Torch atop Hundred Knight's helmet will burst, increasing all of its abilities!

MEDIA said:

REVIEWS said:

Hi five!

Thanks for the OT. I, unfortunately, do not expect it to get too busy in here. Game looks like neat fun, but the VA and design and that durned scene that there was a thread are gonna get people focusing on most of that shit.

Ah well. Game's scores are about what I'd expect. I should have some decent fun with it.

Saphirax

Won't be able to buy this on day 1, but am looking forward to getting it eventually :D.

I'm loving the fact that March is packed with jrpg releases.

Steroyd

Aaaawwww Ys.

More interested in it than I was before but I know this is going to be backlogged until it gets a price cut with all the games I'm playing now. :/

All the features look right up my alley to, damn the PS4 not having B/C damn it to hell.

Gbraga

Awesome! Can't get this day one because my gaming budget this month went to Dark Souls II and the Drakengard 3 pre-order (damn preorder bonuses), but I'm considering buying this and Conception II next month. Is it available digitally?

cj_iwakura

This week is murder. ChronoPhantasma, Deception IV, and this, on the heels of MGSV and Dark Souls II no less.

Still, Prinny team. I'm in.
(Wish I'd gotten that LE though.)

Gbraga

This week is murder. ChronoPhantasma, Deception IV, and this, on the heels of MGSV and Dark Souls II no less.

Still, Prinny team. I'm in.
(Wish I'd gotten that LE though.)

Holy shit, Decepcion IV is already coming out??

My wallet is not ready.

Evilisk

Nice OT. It's kind of small but that's not a surprise.

Am planning to get this game soon (maybe before the very end of this month if I'm lucky)

Also I am so extremely disappointed since I just found out that pre ordering at Zavvi before the 21st would have netted me the art book :/

chrono01

Thanks for the OT, I was hoping someone would make one.

I was charged for my Limited Edition from NISA a while back, hopefully it will ship soon! Of course, since I live in Canada it will probably take 3+ weeks to reach me, but I am patient. Somewhat.

At least I have A Realm Reborn to occupy my time. New upcoming patch 2.2 content!

By the way, NISA seemingly has more LE available. I'm not sure if it's an error in the site or not, since it will allow me to add any number to my cart, but if you're desperate, it might be worth a try!

http://store.nisamerica.com/Preorders/The-Witch-and-the-Hundred-Knight-Limited-Edition-plus-Figure

TomShoe

Banned
Tell me, as a Disgaea fan, do you think I'll enjoy this game? The gameplay seems like a far cry from what I'm used to.

Tohsaka

Picking up my copy tomorrow, along with Deception and Dynasty Warriors 8 on PS4. Not sure when I'll get around to playing this but it'll probably be soon, I've been looking forward to it.

nikos

Definitely going to pick this up at some point. Too many expenses and games to play at the moment.

Eusis

My interest went up a level.
Yeah, that's the kind of game I want (well, an action RPG that isn't just some loot whore thing with uninteresting world design) but Parakeet's impressions really put me off.

I'll probably wait on a sale or something if it ends up being at least entertaining enough to bother with.

I'm not normally interested in NIS games but the Action RPG element of this title has me intrigued. Enough so that I want to get this game but not at full price. Is a price drop or sale something that I can expect soon or do NIS games typically take a long time to receive a discount?

The little counters with the dots at the bottom of the screen on weapons are called dye. They range from 1 to 5 dots. Put them in numerical order and your weapons get chain bonuses. A helpful hint that I didn't know until midway through chapter 3. So far loving the game. Lots of grinding because of your gcals countdown.

The trailer was entertaining, but I'm unsure about this. It looks like it'll be hard to tell what's going on with your actions since your character has that glowy wisp emanating from him.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
It plays like a Zeldaesque type game. Go be honest it feels like Brave Fencer Musashi. I'm having a ball with it.

You have got to be kidding its nothing like brave fencer musashi.

Its a game with a serious identity crisis all on top of it not being able to do any of what its trying to be well.

You have got to be kidding its nothing like brave fencer musashi.

Its a game with a serious identity crisis all on top of it not being able to do any of what its trying to be well.

3/4 view zeldaesque game with a cool little combat system. I stand by what I said it feels like Brave Fencer. Its safe to assume you don't like the game. I'm having a blast with it. My only gripe is what each of the items are for if its anything like disgaea and keeping an item for item world or anything like that.

SheHateMe

My CE came in yesterday. Love the art book, but I'll probably never open the soundtrack or the nendoroid. Not a bad purchase.

To me, it's pretty standard ARPG fare with one or two confusing (design-wise) curveballs thrown in there.

Also, stages/arenas. (Second game I bought this month that has them instead of a open world, but I understand for this one after reading all the problems they were having.)

Metallia's VA could've done better, but she's nowhere NEAR the worst VA I've ever heard. *stares at copy of Star Ocean: The Last Hope* I'm hoping I'm wrong, but I finished Ch. 1, Act 1 and I pretty much figured out the entire story and how it's going to play out; which makes me kind of skeptical, but at the same time, it makes me want to finish the game so I can see if I'm right or not.

Again, not a bad purchase overall. I'll enjoy it for what it's worth, shelve it, then sell it 15 years from now to maybe break even.

As clairvoyant as everyone will be when they see where the plot is going and as...mediocre as the VA is for Metallia, I actually quite enjoy that this isn't Disgaea levels of "evil" but that Metallia really does seem to be a completely atrocious person. She's evil and not cutesy evil. She's a real shit.

Nice to play as someone like that.

Namikaze

Got my copy from Amazon today; couldn't say no to $19.99 for a new game with soundtrack. This game is pretty controversial but I'll have to try it for myself. Nice OT

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Got my copy from Amazon today; couldn't say no to $19.99 for a new game with soundtrack. This game is pretty controversial but I'll have to try it for myself. Nice OT

Its hardly controversial, poorly made yes. Controversial no.

Will agree with you that cant go wrong for 20 bucks.

Yuripaw

Banned
I picked this game up at the store today...really had no fore knowledge of it, and was a completely blind game purchase. I don't do that too often, but it sounded kinda cool, and I'm a sucker for the art style. I dunno if I'll like it, but we'll see.

Eusis

I'm kinda disappointed hearing the open world thing got nixed. If it were open world and more like some weird NIS, lower budget take on Dark Souls or a Zelda/Ys type game I'd be really interested, but not executed too well and not even having that was a let down.

Abylim

Just picked this up, beat the second boss. Really having fun so far, definitely gives me Brave Fencer feels.

Not a game for everyone, I can tell that much. But I'm enjoying it!

I see how some are turned off with how much of an ass Metallia is.

Top Bottom