• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witch and the Hundred Knight: Revival Edition Hits PS4 March 1st

Loudninja

Trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bllGM4QqXms
If you didn’t spend any time in the swamp last year, this will be the perfect opportunity to get your toes sticky. For those of you who did a little mucking around already, this revival will come jam-packed with new features, shiny new graphics, and of course, the adorable little demon warrior whose name is bound to confuse you at least once, Hundred Knight, all for just $39.99. Now that, my fellow Prinny, is what I call a bargain for a PS4 game.

New stuff:
If you were one of the Prinnies that hopped in and duked it out last year, you’ll be familiar with Metallia. In Revival Edition, you’ll finally be able to take control of the dastardly witch herself and raise Cain in Medea! She has some pretty awesome magic skills to do things like call down lightning, create a vortex to draw in enemies, or summon a massive sword to slice and dice her way through the Tower of Illusion.

Oh, that’s new too! The Tower of Illusion is a nifty way to challenge yourself and gain some sick loot! To enter it, you’ll have to sacrifice a weapon — the stronger the weapon, the more powerful your foes and the better the loot! It’s almost like you’re battling the weapon you sacrificed… Give up a little stick, and it’ll be easy-peasy, but give up a legendary Spear of Sins with some super strong catalyst upgrades, and you might find yourself a touch outclassed. But that’s the fun of a challenge, right?
Those catalysts I mentioned are new, too. In the Tower of Illusion, you’ll be able to gather catalysts like the Concentrated Mana Pearl, which you can combine in the new Alchemy system to boost the stats of your favorite equipment! You can only use a limited number of catalysts on each item though, so be sure to pick the right ones for your playstyle.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2015...ed-knight-revival-edition-hits-ps4-march-1st/

Wanchan

The japanese version also had english text/voice :

qbIOUSk.jpg

Excellent, been waiting for this.

Strange it hasn't been announced at an NISA press conference though. Have they announced any other stuff at the same time?

Brew124

Holy crap the first couple months of next year just keep piling it on. Can't beat it at $39.99. But damn.. I think there's a game every week that I'm interested in.

SheHateMe

I wish I could be happy about this, but....

I dropped money for the original edition that bugged out on me and I could never get out of the first chapter.

I'm not giving NIS any more of my money for this game.

I'm probably going to buy it because I'm a sucker for this shit.

JPS Kai

Isn't this the game where
the main character turns her mother into a mouse who then gets raped by other mice?

That's the one. It's also the one where
the main character is a hospitalized child in some little side story and is insinuated that all of this is just make believe playing with her dolls.

Begaria

I passed on the original PS3 release due to some issues I read about in some of the reviews. Hopefully the PS4 version changes some of it. Will keep an eye on it.

Kyuur

the main character is a hospitalized child in some little side story and is insinuated that all of this is just make believe playing with her dolls.

Wow, I remembered the original tidbit but this is makes the former even worse somehow. :lol:

You can vote for the cover on facebook
https://www.facebook.com/NISAmericaInc/app_303561899745219

I'll vote for the top right one

EDIT: Also LE confirmed

We were debating between different reversible cover art options for The Witch and the Hundred Knight: Revival Edition for the PS4, and then asked ourselves, "Why don't we just let the fans decide?" So that's what we're doing! Tell us which cover you like the most, and we'll go with it! One person who votes will get a free copy of the limited edition!

MrDaravon

Also echoing the question on what exactly this plays like, and I guess if it was any good? I never really heard anything about it post-release. The video makes it look like a action-RPG a la Ys?

desmax

Also echoing the question on what exactly this plays like, and I guess if it was any good? I never really heard anything about it post-release. The video makes it look like a action-RPG a la Ys?

Hm... Try thinking like a hybrid between Ys and Diablo, with a whole bunch of underlying mechanics like Disgaea.

It's kinda of a mess, tbh

Flarin

The PS3 version had a TON of issues and I really despised Metallia. Won't be getting this, but hopefully they fix enough issues for others to enjoy it.

desmax

Looks like I'm not the only one, it's in the lead.
It really is an awesome cover that's way less boring than the others.

Went with botton left

The top right is great, but that's already the art used in the soundtrack given with the original one

SephLuis

Does this play like Ys?
Hm... Try thinking like a hybrid between Ys and Diablo, with a whole bunch of underlying mechanics like Disgaea.

It's kinda of a mess, tbh

Already answered, but I would say it's closer to Diablo than Ys.

Excellent, been waiting for this.

Strange it hasn't been announced at an NISA press conference though. Have they announced any other stuff at the same time?

Maybe they will announce Witch and the Hundred Knight 2. I even forgot about that until now and would love the sequel ASAP

The hell. I don't remember this at all.

How good is this game on a 1-10 scale? Ys+Disgaea+Diablo sounds amazing, but how is it in practice?

6-7 scale. Too repetitive. There is a good amount of challenge sometimes.
The story is what got most of us by surprise. It's like if they wanted to make a traggic Disgaea, instead of a comedy one. The story is dark.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
The top right is great, but that's already the art used in the soundtrack given with the original one

This is how I feel, which is a shame if it does win. We already have that art piece somewhere. I'd rather take bottom right for the pretty colours.

Also, is the figure the same Petite Nendo that came with the first game?

desmax

Already answered, but I would say it's closer to Diablo than Ys.

The hell. I don't remember this at all.

Yeah, it's closer to Diablo, but there's some stuff from Ys there.

It's on the "Bad Ending" route, where the Hundred Knight start jumping dimensions. Right when you enter it you get transported to a world where everyone is a student at a school and they're doing whack school things. Eventually you get back.

That happens again later, and then you see a young kid Metallia on a modern hospital bed.

How good is this game on a 1-10 scale? Ys+Disgaea+Diablo sounds amazing, but how is it in practice?

6. There's way too many mechanics, and not all of them benefits the game.
PS4 version should fix some of the most glaring issues, so maybe 7.

Rymuth

Isn't this the game where
the main character turns her mother into a mouse who then gets raped by other mice?

There's also a bit where
she makes a Witch's minions turn on her and eat her alive. You don't see it but you hear them do it slowly along with her screams. Their dialogue, while they're doing the deed, is pretty 'suggestive' as well.
Game's pretty fucked up.

SephLuis

Yeah, it's closer to Diablo, but there's some stuff from Ys there.

It's on the "Bad Ending" route, where the Hundred Knight start jumping dimensions. Right when you enter it you get transported to a world where everyone is a student at a school and they're doing whack school things. Eventually you get back.

That happens again later, and then you see a young kid Metallia on a modern hospital bed.

Shoot. I have a faint memory of doing this, but I guess I never made the connection about the facts.

Thanks for the reminder

There's also a bit where
she makes a Witch's minions turn on her and eat her alive. You don't see it but you hear them do it slowly along with her screams. Their dialogue, while they're doing the deed, is pretty 'suggestive' as well.
Game's pretty fucked up.

There's also that part where
Totopepe and Lucchini slay everyone in the castle and Totopepe imply that he killed Visco's sister by raping her, because of his size.
Yup, this game has terrible moments that kills any enjoyment for me. Who the heck can come with such wicked and disgusting plots ?

Dio

Banned
There's also that part where
Totopepe and Lucchini slay everyone in the castle and Totopepe imply that he killed Visco's sister by raping her, because of his size.
Yup, this game has terrible moments that kills any enjoyment for me. Who the heck can come with such wicked and disgusting plots ?

This game was really experimental, and I actually think it's good that NIS is experimenting like this. I guess people weren't expecting that kind of plot from NIS; Yoko Taro kind of has a monopoly on the 'you play as a fucked up villain' market and I'd love to see more games in that vein.

Shizuka

I wonder when NISA will announce the rest of the line-up for 2016 after they cancelled their event back in July.

they'll probably keep to the february press event for now.

They announced Operation Abyss in December last year, so I don't think they'll necessarily hold everything for February.

That said, it's bizarre that they've gone so long without announcing anything. They normally tend to fill out the first few months of the year with releases:

2013, Feb - Apr = 3 games, 1 app
2014, Feb - Apr = 3 games
2015, Feb - Apr = 3 games

So far, we've got 1 game announced for March. Anything announced in February I'm assuming won't be released any time immediately afterwards, judging by how they normally trickle trailers out.

And aside from that, what have they been working on since their previous localization efforts were completed? The translation for Witch & Hundred Knight is already complete, judging by the Japanese release, so there's not even any work to be done on that.

Dio

Banned
6. There's way too many mechanics, and not all of them benefits the game.
PS4 version should fix some of the most glaring issues, so maybe 7.

Where are the camera options in the demo? I redownloaded it because you said there was a way to change the camera angles but I can't find it.

AniHawk

They announced Operation Abyss in December last year, so I don't think they'll necessarily hold everything for February.

That said, it's bizarre that they've gone so long without announcing anything. They normally tend to fill out the first few months of the year with releases:

2013, Feb - Apr = 3 games, 1 app
2014, Feb - Apr = 3 games
2015, Feb - Apr = 3 games

So far, we've got 1 game announced for March. Anything announced in February I'm assuming won't be released any time immediately afterwards, judging by how they normally trickle trailers out.

And aside from that, what have they been working on since their previous localization efforts were completed? The translation for Witch & Hundred Knight is already complete, judging by the Japanese release, so there's not even any work to be done on that.

well maybe they'll have one more game announced this year then. i just assume whatever they announce in february would be for after march next year. danganronpa, disgaea, and rodea are all fairly high profile titles for them so they probably didn't need a lot of stuff like they did last year.

AwShucks

I stopped playing the ps3 version when I was about 8 hours in after realizing it's like 40 hours long. I wasn't ready to commit to that at the time but I do plan on going back to it.

The story is insane lol
The gameplay is not very good unfortunately... But the characters and the story make up for it, it was one of my favorite games in 2014

Was hoping this would come overseas, was interested in getting the PS3 version but then they announced a PS4 version so I decided to wait. $40 isn't bad but I wish Best Buy was selling it, is there any chance that they will?

Top Bottom