• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings |OT| Plough 'Em All

Status
Not open for further replies.

Van Buren

Minsc said:
This is a little off-topic, but why do you prefer 2 over the graphically improved and seemingly well-received 3rd one? Some of the write-ups from GOG claim it to be "arguably the best of the Northlands Trilogy." I can confirm to the old-school factor, the Arkania games aren't for most people, and will take a serious commitment to get going with. Then again, I prefer Eye of the Beholder 1 to all the rest, just because I'm most familiar with it, and Lands of Lore to the sequel (but most people would agree there).

I guess I was genuinely impressed at the time of release with how Arkania 2 handled importing one's party from 1. That and, Arkania 2 can be genuinely challenging if you play the game with a party with high negative attributes.

That said, the entire trilogy is a must-play if one is a fan of old-school CRPGs that are challenging, yet ultimately rewarding.

grkazan12

So I just bought The Witcher, really excited to get into this. How long do you guys think it would to take to beat the first game (in hrs I guess)?. No rush to finish it but just wondering how long it would take me to get to the second one.

Complistic

grkazan12 said:
So I just bought The Witcher, really excited to get into this. How long do you guys think it would to take to beat the first game (in hrs I guess)?. No rush to finish it but just wondering how long it would take me to get to the second one.

40 - 50 hours probably.

bengraven

Sanjay said:
Because Triss was easy, Shani was like the forbidden fruit.

Really? Despite Triss's love for you being obvious, I always though Shani came on strong.

It was just her landlady that didn't approve.

DangerStepp

bengraven said:
Really? Despite Triss's love for you being obvious, I always though Shani came on strong.

That old wench robbed me of the rear that I was due. I guess it was fact that I stumbled in far from sober.

Sanjay said:
Because Triss was easy, Shani was like the forbidden fruit.
I'd hate to break it to you, but in the books Shani jumped in bed with Geralt the second she met him. Carmen is probably more pure than Shani.

Lucius86

Banned
I really haven't followed this franchise at all, but I must admit reading this thread has piqued my interest.

Any reports on how the game runs on differing spec computers bar "it's good?".

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Jay Shadow said:
I'd hate to break it to you, but in the books Shani jumped in bed with Geralt the second she met him. Carmen is probably more pure than Shani.

YOU SHUT YOUR WHORE MOUTH.

...but seriously, knowing that this is loaded up and ready to go but for want of an unlock key is torture.

DangerStepp said:
That old wench robbed me of the rear that I was due. I guess it was fact that I stumbled in far from sober.

2h37dr5.png

Minsc

Gold Member
Zeliard said:

FIVE. For the elite. Monday night will be rough in this thread, with a dozen or so playing the game, while everyone else likely waits another day.

The Chef said:
Wonder if there is any change my Macbook Pro will play this

2.4 i5
4 GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M

:/

CPUs a little slow, but GPU is probably complete loss, said to be equivalent to a 9400 GT, which is below the minimum specs.

Lucius86 said:
I really haven't followed this franchise at all, but I must admit reading this thread has piqued my interest.

Any reports on how the game runs on differing spec computers bar "it's good?".

As there's no official benches, I think a rough breakdown would look like:

2 cores = low to high (maybe)
4 cores = low to ultra

4870 = medium/high
260 = medium/high
460 = high/ultra
5870 = high/ultra
6970 = ultra
570 = ultra

1GB video ram needed for high textures. Most previews commented medium looks great, and high/ultra absolutely unbelievable.

AliceInJam said:
Hey guys! So I am using the witcher 2 as an excuse to finally get into pc gaming. I have been feverishly looking through custom builds and laptops trying to decide on what I want. I think I have finally come to a decision and just want to see what you guys think. Will this get the job done?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834220921

Thanks!! Can't wait till the 17th!

I have this but the 3D vision version, same GPU though, I am very happy with it. runs games great and stays cool which is important for a laptop. I can highly recommend it. as others have said, a desktop will get you a more powerful GPU if you have to run every game at MAX. but as a laptop, I love my asus and look forward to playing W2 on it.

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
Minsc said:

-snip-

1GB video ram needed for high textures. Most previews commented medium looks great, and high/ultra absolutely unbelievable.
Excellent! Running a 1gb GTX 460 and a 2500k @ 4.5GHz, I am so ready for this.

Thanks for the summary, Minsc. It's really weird that there hasn't been a benching tool released or that sites haven't been doing more practical testing of different rigs.

RedSwirl

Minsc said:
FIVE. For the elite. Monday night will be rough in this thread, with a dozen or so playing the game, while everyone else likely waits another day.

CPUs a little slow, but GPU is probably complete loss, said to be equivalent to a 9400 GT, which is below the minimum specs.

4 cores = low to ultra

4870 = medium/high
260 = medium/high
460 = high/ultra
5870 = high/ultra
6970 = ultra
570 = ultra

So my 1GB HD6850, Q6600 @ 2.4GHz, and 3GB of RAM will be able to do somewhere between high and ultra at 1440 x 900?

DoctorPayne said:
Any word on a Steam pre-load of the game? Or is that going to be GOG exclusive?
Was announced a while ago as a GoG exclusive. Wouldn't be surprised if they changed their minds near the end...but wouldn't be surprised if they didn't either.

epmode

Jay Shadow said:
Was announced a while ago as a GoG exclusive. Wouldn't be surprised if they changed their minds near the end...but wouldn't be surprised if they didn't either.
I'll be amazed if they go with a Steam preload. This is the first and only brand-new game to launch on GOG.com and they're going to milk it for all it's worth. Not that I blame them! <3 CD Projekt <3

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Minsc said:
4 cores = low to ultra

4870 = medium/high
260 = medium/high
460 = high/ultra
5870 = high/ultra
6970 = ultra
570 = ultra

Running this shit on ultra, WOOP WOOP

JORMBO

Darkness no more
Never played the first one but hyped for part 2. Grabbing the first one to play through first though since it's $5. Can't beat that!

graywolf323

well I caved and pre-purchased off GOG.com and am pre-loading now

is it bad that I'm still seriously considering pre-purchasing it on Steam as well? :-s

rather buy The Witcher 2 twice than buy Dragon Age II at full price :p

Kyaw

Its not bad to buy it twice!

Lots of people are double dipping the retail and digital version.
Good to support CDPR to continue making great PC games.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I'm tempted to upgrade to the CE. The premium version is kickass, but the CE is pure sex.

I'm all over the Collector's with the exception of the head. It might be a cool 5 minute novelty, but I'd prefer the set without for 30 less. I guess once I have it in hand I'll decide whether to keep the head or see if it is worth anything on eBay.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
SerArthurDayne said:
I'm all over the Collector's with the exception of the head. It might be a cool 5 minute novelty, but I'd prefer the set without for 30 less. I guess once I have it in hand I'll decide whether to keep the head or see if it is worth anything on eBay.

Just what I was about to post. I'd get a kick out of most of that stuff, especially the cards, but the head bust is so useless.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Do we know how big it actually is? Those kind of things tend to be way smaller than you expect. Maybe you could put a baby's ear muffs over it.

thetrin

SerArthurDayne said:
I dunno man. A mantle with the busts of both Geralt and Duke sounds pretty awesome.

Minsc

Gold Member
RedSwirl said:
So my 1GB HD6850, Q6600 @ 2.4GHz, and 3GB of RAM will be able to do somewhere between high and ultra at 1440 x 900?

Seems very likely. CPU is a slight bit on the slower side, but it's a Quadcore, so that helps. A 6850 is about the same as a 460 which was said to run the game on ultra somewhat smoothly (with some choppiness in heavy action) on a C2D, so high should be reasonable.

graywolf323 said:
well I caved and pre-purchased off GOG.com and am pre-loading now

is it bad that I'm still seriously considering pre-purchasing it on Steam as well? :-s

rather buy The Witcher 2 twice than buy Dragon Age II at full price :p

Nope, I'm hoping the achievements are made in such a way they enhance the game by giving you additional challenges. Plus I like seeing how I rate against everyone else who's played it, there's likely to be a somewhat small # of insane unlocks, and I am hoping to be in that group!

gillFTR said:
will this be out on midnight for steam??? I never know what time steam releases games on the scheduled day.

I don't think anyone knows, it could be monday night at midnight, it could be tuesday evening at 8PM. Is there any sort of rule for how game's unlock? I know on PSN the releases generally come in the evening.

Kyaw

Its probably about the size of your first or something. But for a bust i expect to be a full scale one. :/

But then the CE with the bust isnt exactly that expensive.
I'm guessing we only get to download the game manual, guides and stuff on the release date from GoG?

Minsc

Gold Member
woober said:
I would have much preferred the Witcher's medallion they offered for the 1st game as a collectors item.

I would have preferred the game to be boxed a hand-painted wooden case that mirrors the one used for the Dice game, along with the Witcher dice.

Kyaw

That would be a pretty nice idea actually. The dice game from the Witcher world is pretty awesome. I loved the music when you play it in Witcher 1.

woober

Minsc said:
I would have preferred the game to be boxed a hand-painted wooden case that mirrors the one used for the Dice game, along with the Witcher dice.

That's pretty clever and fitting.

thetrin

I would have liked a little figure with a pull cord that shouted "YOUR MOTHER SUCKS DWARF COCK".

Sanjay

bengraven said:

Landlady? you mean God lady. There's no way she heard me unless she had God like hearing! and then forbidding me to hit that.

zlatko

Banned
So I'm ready to buy my copy of the game either tomorrow or the day after. What's the best deal to save money if you're from the USA? Digital Copy preferred.

dino1980

zlatko said:
So I'm ready to buy my copy of the game either tomorrow or the day after. What's the best deal to save money if you're from the USA? Digital Copy preferred.

http://www.gog.com/en/page/tw2v3

GOG and direct2drive have the same price at 45 dollars. So go with GOG, you get more content, can play the game one day earlier and all your money goes direct to the developer.

My excitement has me trying to finish the first game before this. In the interests of expediency, should I bother with side quests or just focus on the main stuff?

Kyaw

jim-jam bongs said:
My excitement has me trying to finish the first game before this. In the interests of expediency, should I bother with side quests or just focus on the main stuff?

Take up side quests that interest you. Most compliment the story unlike some irrelevant stuff in other RPGs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom