• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher celebrating 10th anniversary at PAX West

Exentryk

Update: Video is up:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5QpbMOfy2U

CD PROJEKT RED, creators of The Witcher series of games, invite everyone to celebrate the 10th anniversary of the studio's flagship franchise at this year's PAX West, where a panel reminiscing about the adventures of Geralt of Rivia will take place.

Entitled ”Celebrating the 10th Anniversary of The Witcher" and hosted by Noclip's Danny O'Dwyer, the panel will see veteran developers of the series and other invited guests explore the making of one of the biggest RPG franchises in gaming today — from the original The Witcher, through The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings, up to The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt and both its expansions: Hearts of Stone & Blood and Wine. Featuring unreleased, behind-the-scenes footage from the development of the series, this is a must-see panel for any fan of The Witcher and a chance for everyone to discover a new side of a journey that has spanned 10 years.

The panel will take place in PAX West's Main Theatre, located in Benaroya Hall, on Sunday, September 3rd, 12:00 PM – 2:00 PM PDT. Fans of The Witcher series of games who can't make it to PAX West in person will be able to watch the entire panel live on Twitch. For additional details, visit the panel's page on the PAX West official website.

Via press release.

pcHq2rL.gif

<33333333333333333333

That video :(

We aren't getting another main line Witcher game for a while I take it

they've said as much.

Nothing sooner than after the release of Cyberpunk and subsequent support as its running through its first couple of years with add-ons, expansions, etc...

then eventually they'll start working on other titles with full steam, but with the level of attention to detail and perfectionism they seem to have plus the pace of theirs it'll be QUITE a while. I wouldn't expect a game after cyberpunk until well into the next console generation's life. Probably halfway/near the end.

120v

seems like it's been around way longer. i keep forgetting witcher 1 and 2 are relatively new-ish

DxD

Banned
v0lL8al.jpg

Thank you old friends...

Ciri, front and center...OMG, Ciri is getting her own game!

But seriously, TW universe is too vast not to let Ciri be the heroine with her space/time power.

So many possibilities with different timelines and dimensions.

Tyaren

Congratz! :D
Now bring on that promised Pro (and Xbox One X) patch, because there are still many people playing The Witcher 3 on console.
And please don't forget downsampling for Pro owners with HDTVs, thnx. :)

Sygma

Same here. To those who have played the rest of the franchise, would it be worth going back to play the others if I've only played Witcher 3?

Honestly they never managed to do better than Witcher 1 in terms of story so yes. They reached their ancient high with Red Baron / Crones / supernatural quest in the cave in Skellige, but never topped the outstanding quality of the first chapter (and beyond) of the original game. Be warned tho its pretty outdated in terms of combat. Rest is absolutely top notch and only Obsidian games on pc are close to it

Its also the darkest game of the three. There were some pretty gore bits in Witcher 3 but in comparison to some stuff in 1 its pretty tame

StereoVsn

Man, they really need two semi-full teams. It would have been nice to have an alternating game every 2-3 years from them.

Anyway, props on the series and I actually liked every game. I still recommend playing the first one on PC as combat can be handled fairly easily once you get a hang of it and the story is the best in one, IMO.

Artdayne

Same here. To those who have played the rest of the franchise, would it be worth going back to play the others if I've only played Witcher 3?

You know, that really depends on you. All three games are critically well received and well received by fans in general. With that said, some people have trouble getting into them, especially the first one, because the gameplay is quite dated. They are usually super cheap so it wouldn't hurt to try them out. As others have said though, the story in Witcher 1 is very good and it might have the best villain in the series.

senahorse

CDP should put that video in as an epilogue to Witcher 3 Blood and Wine, if they don't I am sure there will be a mod in 3 2 1...

Congratulations to CDPR. I still haven't played the third one but I loved the first two.

Anyone else think that the first two are perfect for open-world remakes?

Budi

Well I did play them in order (not at launch though) and there was even quite a bit time between the first and second game for me, since I couldn't properly run the second game. Jumping from the third to first one could be be a shock and many will probably tell you not to bother. But I love the first game and rank it bit higher than the second game even. The story is excellent, characters are memorable and it's always good to see where it all began. If you don't mind playing older games, absolutely go for it. But be prepared that it's very different from the third game and I don't just mean the graphics or the budget. It's very different from the second game too. But all great RPG:s.

First one would be ripe for a remake. especially considering how the game to this day will chug frame rate wise in the 3rd act to this day

Story wise...1>3 (just slightly)>>>2..

Sygma

Congratulations to CDPR. I still haven't played the third one but I loved the first two.

Anyone else think that the first two are perfect for open-world remakes?

They can do whatever with the weakass witcher 2 but please never touch the first. CD red are just ultra bad at open world design which showed big time in witcher 3 since in order to not go through the game without any difficulty you had to NOT play the side content, on top of putting random npcs vastly outleveling you pretty much everywhere in a really random fashion.

Blood and Wine was immensely better tho

Van Bur3n

This video is not canon, way too many characters that were dead in my game!

Fun fact: 9 characters in that cinematic can actually die throughout the game. Can end up being a pretty empty party.

Should be a testament as to how good The Witcher 3 is and how much your choices can make a difference.

supergiz

God I really need to finish playing the Witcher 3. Stopped a year ago and when tried to get back in a month back was completely lost at what was going on in the story. Such an amazing game :)

Parsnip

The story about how that one crash bug went unnoticed for 6 weeks made me chuckle.

Patriot and rebel t shirts look dope... where are they selling that?

They aren't selling them afaik.
I think they were promo shirts for 360 release of Witcher 2, maybe they gave them out at conventions or possibly as pre-order bonuses or something like that.

Ciri, front and center...OMG, Ciri is getting her own game!

But seriously, TW universe is too vast not to let Ciri be the heroine with her space/time power.

So many possibilities with different timelines and dimensions.

She's literally the Lady of Time and Space and the Child of Destiny she HAS to have her own game

Zushin

Definitely imo. They are quite different mechanically but they are good. First one has a really cool story line albeit strange and dated "combat". The second is my favourite overall with its political plotline and I prefer the more linear areas over fully open world of W3. All different, all good though imo.

Top Bottom