• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TheWrap: Netflix and Zack Snyder's "Army of the Dead" Sequels and Animated Series "Quietly Cancelled"

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
A new interview on TheWrap contains new information on Zack Snyder's "Army of the Dead" series for Netflix.
Zack Snyder discusses his multimedia ambitions for his "Rebel Moon" franchise, which leads into an update on Army of the Dead.
“Army of the Dead,” a movie the Snyders made for Netflix before “Rebel Moon,” had a similarly ambitious plan, with several sequels and spin-offs in the works (one, the prequel “Army of Thieves,” was actually released), along with an animated series. The animated series was quietly canceled, along with plans for subsequent films. Zack said, “We are very ambitious with everything.” And “Army of the Dead” isn’t entirely dead, as Deborah pointed out that there will be a themed experience coming to the Six Flags theme parks this Halloween. “It’s going to be a really cool experience,” she added.

I wasn't really into Army of the Dead. I'm not sure anyone was. I understand no one really needed this update.
Can someone please recommend some great recent zombie movies?

Now that “Rebel Moon,” or at least this phase of it, has been completed, the Snyders are looking at a number of projects – some original, some based on preexisting material, according to Deborah. “We’re just trying to see what lines up,” said Zack.
And maybe one day Zack Snyder’s director’s cut will be the cut that is released wide, either theatrically or via streaming.

near

Gold Member
He still has another animated series with Netflix in the pipeline due out Sept. Twilight of the Gods. Rebel Moon was also a financial success at least the PG13 version, so I don’t think their relationship is soured in anyway yet. But Army of the Dead simply does not need to become a franchise, most people disliked it, and it honestly added nothing new to the genre.

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
Oh no, poor Jack shyster. How will we go on, the movies were too good

fYoVoXC.gif

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
I didn't hate the Dead movies. I don't really need any more of them, but they were fine. I've seen many movies worse than Army of the Dead. At least it was a straight forward action movie.

Rebel Moon and Army of the Dead were shit.

If I was Netflix I would've shitcanned anything they had in the pipeline with the Snyders, too.

His movies were never great.

What he was doing with DCEU was the best output he's ever had.

Netflix bought the hype and got a flaming shit bag of content from him.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
I'm still baffled how Snyder has had so many high profile movies, given his appalling track record. Friends in high places, I guess.

Last edited:

SJRB

Gold Member
Zach Snyder is such a weird case. The guy has a flair for spectacle with occasional moments of brilliance but needs someone to keep him on an extremely tight leash because he always goes off the rails in incomprehensible ways.

I’m amazed studios are still willing to give this guy hundreds of millions of dollars.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
Army of the Dead was one of the worst movies of the past decade, so...

Snyder's Dawn of the Dead was really enjoyable - but that movie was from a script written by James Gunn. Snyder is a competent diector and his early movies were good, just don't give him full controll and certainly don't allow him to film his own story and script.

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
Snyder had his chances - and let's be honest here - outside dawn of the dead, 300 and watchmen his movies have been complete and utter shite, so, basically, dude has only 3 "good" movies in his portfolio.

He's the equivalent of someone like M.Night Shyamalan, another director which had some breakthrough movies that did well (6th sense, unbreakable, Signs, the village) but after that, he too fell from the proverbial grace when he started directing those other diarrhea movies...

Snyder proved to be the typical 1-hit wonder (3-hit wonder to be more specific), sure, he has flair for the spectacle but he absolutely cannot be put to the reins of a project.

He had some potential and he most surely had his chances but now I think that's a good time for him to leave it all behind, all of his latest projects (but not only) have been completely and utterly abhorrent, your typical 'Murrican brain rot stuff basically.

He's a worse Michael Bay if that's even possible - at least that guy had some actual hits (and I will always like pain and gain).

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
Damn, so now we will never know WTF those blue glowey implants were for or how a zombie can get preggers? I had SO MANY questions! Maybe he can still milk it by releasing the Chris D'ela cut :p

K' Dash

Army of the dead and the prequel are guilty pleasures of mine.

like someone said above, dude needs to put in check and never get full control.

Top Bottom