• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

This year marks the 5th anniversary of High Moon's Transformers video game series

Tizoc

F14D276F19B9F36910B6A0732EBBDCD4.jpg

7296244_orig.jpg

Considered among the best Transformers games, the HM series were third person shooters taking place on the planet Cybertron, telling events that lead to the Autobots and Decepticons exodus from their home planet.

The first game allowed for up to 3 players to play in its single player campaign together. The campaign mode had 2 stories: From the Autobot faction's pov and the Decepticon's pov.

The 2nd game did not have the co-op multiplayer option for its campaign mode but was still a solid and entertaining 3rd person shooter.

Both games featured multiplayer modes where players can play against each other as well.

While Frank Welker did not reprise the role of Megatron in these games, Peter Cullen returns to voice Optimus. Personally I didn't like Megatron's characterization here, as he was blinded by his own desire for conquest that he never thinks through what he's doing.

At first I sadly dismissed the games but got into them a few years ago on PS3 and really enjoyed them.
The games have various nods to the 80s cartoons and the artist direction and design of Cybertron is very well done by High Moon Studios, such that there is an artbook for the 2nd game.

The 2nd game features Grimlock among the playable cast of the SP campaign which has some interesting articles about
http://www.polygon.com/2012/11/14/3558604/transforming-grimlock-how-high-moon-saved-the-dinobots

The games are available on Steam and go on sale regularly, although Fall tends to be cheaper on various PC gaming retailer sites than Steam.

What're some of your fav. moments playing the game?
Personally I really enjoyed the simple but satisfying Grimlock sections in FoC.

Z3M0G

Hell yes. First the PS2 Transformers game:

250px-TF_atari.jpg

..then these, and now Transformers Devastation... thats a great gaming legacy for this franchise.

Are the multiplayer servers still up??

The two games from High Moon are fantastic. Such a same they didn't get to finish the trilogy.

I think my favorite moment is the beginning of Fall of Cybertron with Metroplex. Playing as Grimlock was cool too!

And yeah, hearing Troy Baker and Nolan North joke around as Cliffjumper and Jazz.

I gotta replay Fall of Cybetron. It is so good!

Unit24

Funnily enough, I recently ordered both games from Amazon. I just finished War and am now moving on to Fall.

War was... okay. Really nothing to write home about. It had some cool moments, but overall it was really repetitive and most of the levels just blend together in my memory. I keep hearing Fall is considerably better, so I'm looking forward to playing that one.

Tizoc

Hell yes. First the PS2 Transformers game:

250px-TF_atari.jpg

..then these, and now Transformers Devastation... thats a great gaming legacy for this franchise.

Are the multiplayer servers still up??

I think they are but last time I played them on PS3 at leat was last year

Hell yeah, these games are great. In fact, last gen was really good for childhood franchises in general.

Ugh, I need to go back at some point and finish that protect Ratchet mission in WfC.

Anung

Un Rama
Loved both games. Its a real shame what happened to High Moon Studios being absorbed into the COD machine. They showed a real understand of the universe and the game play was great.

I lent my cousin both games years ago and never got them back D: I'll need to try get them as after Devastation I could really go for another play-through of these.

Didn't High Moon also make the companion game for the third Bayformers? I hear it was okay.

I really like the bastard Rise of the Dark Spark. War was okay but my interest waned mid-campaign. I probably need to give Fall another chance. As much as I love linear games, the early levels were almost too linear for my expectations.

Jawmuncher

Only played War for Cybertron and thought it was alright. I mean it was better than what transformers had been treated up to that point. But aside from that I wasn't feeling it.

Memory

Would be great if they packaged both together for current gen. Great games.

I'm hoping they do this since that crapfest 3 bombed so hard, movie tie in grumple grumble.....

I much preferred the multiplayer and horde mode in the first game though so i hope they keep that, taking away scientists from PVP and making Horde mode class based were bad decisions IMO.

Loved the first game. The 2nd one felt mindless as shit though; not really bad, but I just couldnt care less by the midpoint of the story.

Slixshot

Banned
Thought War for Cybertron was pretty good! But I'm much happier with the series in the hands of Platinum. I hope they would make the next game a little larger in scope and absurdity :)

Maulik

What high moon nailed was the ability to use both vehicle and robot form seamlessly. There were some really cool traversal sequences as well that I wish the platinum game had.

Also best horde mode in any game.

c0Zm1c

The final battle in Fall of Cybertron was the greatest thing ever.

Perfect game.
I suppose it's okay if you like that sort of thing;
I wanted to just fight, not be constantly interrupted with lame QTE's!
(not sure if that needs spoiler tags but it's there in case). For me it was hugely disappointing. Easily the weakest part of the whole campaign, especially as it was the part I was most looking forward to playing.

Top Bottom