• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tiger Woods PGA Tour '14

tigerwoods14_packshot_xbox.jpg

Platforms:
Xbox 360, PS3

Release:
March 26, 2013

Tiger Woods PGA Tour 14 is the sixteenth entry in the franchise. It is set for release in March 26, 2013 in North America and March 28 worldwide. Tiger 14 features 20 championship courses, 35 pro golfers, all 4 major championship events, a new LPGA career mode, a new Legends of the Majors challenge mode, and more.

Step into the Past
Tackle historic courses, wear classic attire and use equipment from bygone eras as you travel through time to take on the greatest moments in golf’s rich history.

Never Play Alone
Don’t golf in a foursome anymore, golf in a twenty-foursome as the game comes to life with your competitors ball trails streaking through the air and pinpoint info on where their balls have landed. A brand new stat tracking system also makes every round feel like a tournament.

Golf Anytime in Any Condition
Combining a live weather feed with new time of day settings on course variety has been significantly amped up, including a first for the franchise: Night Golf!

Golfers
Tiger Woods PGA Tour 14 features thirty-five current and legendary professional golfers from the PGA and LPGA. Featuring:

- Bubba Watson
- Ricky Fowler
- Dustin Johnson
- Keegan Bradley

LPGA
For the first time ever, the game features an LPGA career mode including the Kraft Nabisco Championship.

• Paula Creamer
• Natalie Gulbis
• Stacy Lewis
• Lexi Thompson

Legends
The LegendsLegends of the Majors mode allows players to travel through time challenging the best of the best in some of golf's most historic moments.

• Seve Ballesteros
• Ben Hogan
• Bobby Jones
• Jack Nicklaus
• Arnold Palmer
• Gary Player
• Sam Snead
• Lee Trevino

Pre-Order Bonuses
• Amazon - DLC code for Bethpage Black.
• Best Buy - DLC code for 1986 Jack Nicklaus.
• GameStop - DLC code for Pinehurst No. 2.
• Origin - A set of "historic" golf clubs.
• Target - DLC code for Minnesota Timberwolves' Kevin Love and tennis pro Andy Roddick.
• Walmart - DLC code for Whistling Straits.

Images
Tiger-Woods-PGA-TOUR-14.jpg

2409955-1986jack.jpg

DEMO OUT TODAY!!!

I tried the demo for both versions out on Tuesday. They've ramped up the challenge considerably in both the Tournament and Simulation difficulty levels with the new "Advance Shot Shaping" swing interface. Advanced Shot Shaping requires the user to execute a diagonal swing path with the thumbstick to obtain a good result. You're controlling either a natural fade or draw golfer. In the demo, you're controlling Tiger Woods who is considered a "fade/power" golfer. Tiger's natural swing path is outside/in, in which the Advanced Shot Shaping requires you to "swing" the thumbstick from the 5 o-clock to 11 o-clock position. This is really tough to do with a Microsoft wireless controller as they seem to be more engineered for tracing the "X" and "Y" axis smoothly.

It's a struggle to keep the ball in play on the hole you're playing, let alone hit the fairway in Simulation difficulty. You're also having to hold the right thumbstick to keep a strike meter cursor on the target spot on the ball. The "target" fades out of sight within a second of moving it, so you're having to guess where it's at once this happens. All of this serves to make it tougher to score low in the game, but the difficulty feels a bit contrived rather than based in a model that's more analogous to the golf swing.

You can play two 3 hole Connected Tournaments in the demo, which is pretty cool to see the leaderboards updating with the scores of other players who are concurrently playing the Connected Tournament with you. You can see the shot tracers of the playrs playing the same hole and even engage them in voice chat, if desired. The best I've scored in a Simulation difficulty 3 hole tournament is +1. but +3 is more my average.

My biggest disappointment is the game's presentation. The much heralded "Broadcast" presentation option is an absolute disaster, from a player standpoint. At the moment of impact, there's a camera shift to a "Broadcast" camera position which quite often is somewhere on the ground looking skyward at the ball's travel. You have no player frame of reference for how the ball's flight is shaping up. It totally takes the player out of the game and turns them into a "TV spectator". I wish the camera would hold its swing camera position for at least the first half of the ball's flight so you I could savor the sight of watching the shot take shape from my virtual golfer's point of view, then switch to a Broadcast camera position. The Broadcast camera also cuts away from the swing view with putts at the moment of impact, often taking you to a camera angle that gives little little information about how the putt broke because of the off target line camera angle. When you're putting on gridless greens, this is information you'll need for the "comebacker" if the putt is missed.

The more familiar Follow camera is the other presentation option, but honestly, I grew tired of it in Tiger 2007. It is a perspective destroying 'magic carpet ride' that ruins the immersion for my tastes, but it works as well as it always has, for those who prefer this option.

Its good to read a review from someone who plays at a higher level like you do.

I'm nowhere near the "Simulation" difficulty and even when I played the tournaments in the demo I did terrible without being able to spin the ball mid-flight.

As a casual player, my biggest gripe with the demo is how Tiger's face looks. Arnold looked great and very accurate. They still don't know how to make Tiger in his own game actually look like himself.

Played the demo last night on 360. Tiger looks more and more ridiculous every single year. How can they continually get that so wrong? As for the gameplay, it feels the same as last year. Combine that with most of the same courses as last year, and I'll just wait to see what next-gen TW brings. 60 bucks for some shot-mechanism tweaks and a few new courses isn't going to cut it.

Played the demo last night on 360. Tiger looks more and more ridiculous every single year. How can they continually get that so wrong? As for the gameplay, it feels the same as last year. Combine that with most of the same courses as last year, and I'll just wait to see what next-gen TW brings. 60 bucks for some shot-mechanism tweaks and a few new courses isn't going to cut it.

I think they bring more to the table each year than their Madden franchise does.

Last year allowed you to re-live historic moments in Tigers career/life. Playing as young Tiger and stuff.

This year brings Jack Nicklaus, Arnold Palmer and old courses and equipment. The ability to play 1934 Augusta is going to be awesome!

Pociask

Still blows my mind they're not putting out a Wii U version. New and streamlined EA is chasing those quarterly profits, that's for sure.

I think they bring more to the table each year than their Madden franchise does.

Last year allowed you to re-live historic moments in Tigers career/life. Playing as young Tiger and stuff.

This year brings Jack Nicklaus, Arnold Palmer and old courses and equipment. The ability to play 1934 Augusta is going to be awesome!

I found the Tiger mode in last year's game to be mind-numbingly awful. I buy it mainly for the courses and the gameplay, which both have been stagnating a lot lately. They keep adding a few new courses, and then removing others, only to offer those others as DLC later or pre-order incentives. I like the series, but generally only buy it now once every 3 or 4 iterations. I'm hoping next gen at least ups the game when it comes to realistically presenting the courses and golfers. Mostly I'd just like them to make the game more challenging.
Still blows my mind they're not putting out a Wii U version. New and streamlined EA is chasing those quarterly profits, that's for sure.

Not shocked at all about this. Especially given how terribly the other third party titles are selling.

Pociask

I found the Tiger mode in last year's game to be mind-numbingly awful. I buy it mainly for the courses and the gameplay, which both have been stagnating a lot lately. They keep adding a few new courses, and then removing others, only to offer those others as DLC later or pre-order incentives. I like the series, but generally only buy it now once every 3 or 4 iterations. I'm hoping next gen at least ups the game when it comes to realistically presenting the courses and golfers. Mostly I'd just like them to make the game more challenging.

Not shocked at all about this. Especially given how terribly the other third party titles are selling.

Not sure how Tiger has done the next gen transition before, but if it's like Madden, you'll see better presentation, but less courses, golfers, modes, etc., right?

Re: The Wii U sales, yeah, they've been terrible, but presumably EA would have been making decisions on whether or not to make a version a year or so ago, not in the last 2 months.

Not sure how Tiger has done the next gen transition before, but if it's like Madden, you'll see better presentation, but less courses, golfers, modes, etc., right?

Re: The Wii U sales, yeah, they've been terrible, but presumably EA would have been making decisions on whether or not to make a version a year or so ago, not in the last 2 months.

EA's been cutting back a lot lately on everything. Can't blame them for not supporting a brand new console from a maker that third party titles notoriously sell poorly on. Especially when you consider EA's probably had to split their teams just to start work on the actual next gen (tech-wise) consoles. I agree with you about the first iterations on a new console being prettier but scaled back. Seems to be the way they're forced to go since it's hard making games for devices that aren't 100 percent locked in on what hardware they're going to use and with SDK's that can change daily.

troopershades

Neo Member
We ever gonna get an actual course creator? And not just taking existing holes and shuffling them up either. Seems like a no brainer.

BD1

Banned
I like the Tiger Woods games a lot, and this one looks really good, but I won't buy this. I can't go back to traditional controller after all the fun I had using the Wiimote. And I don't have Move... Is there even a Move mode?

We ever gonna get an actual course creator? And not just taking existing holes and shuffling them up either. Seems like a no brainer.

Ew, no.

I like the Tiger Woods games a lot, and this one looks really good, but I won't buy this. I can't go back to traditional controller after all the fun I had using the Wiimote. And I don't have Move... Is there even a Move mode?

Yes there is.

I don't see how anyone can prefer that in a game of such precision.

Are the PS3 Move can be use for Tiger Wood?

Yes, I tried the demo of Tiger 14 with the Move and I thought it controlled at least as good as last year's implementation. I didn't play the game with the Move beyond the demo last year either, but it wasn't because I found the Move interface lacking. I just have a problem executing a golf swing with nothing but the Move in my hands. It doesn't have the feel and mass of a golf club, yet my body is trying perform my IRL golf swing. It feels awkward to me and actually puts a little hitch in my back.

If the Broadcast presentation of Tiger 14 was more golfer oriented, I could see myself buying a SimStix (golf club like attachment in which you can mount your Move and has a real golf club grip) adapter for the Move and playing the game full time. I just find the broadcast production is so TV spectator oriented that it takes me out of the game as a player. As big a fan as I've been of this series, I'll be sitting this one out because of the lackluster presentation, As I said earlier in this thread, Follow cam is not my preference and in fact had gotten to the point where I can't force myself to play the game using it.

Played the PS3 demo and jesus christ is this game ugly. Why is the IQ so damn blurry?

It definitely runs the full spectrum of fugliness. However, did you try playing the Connected Tournament at Royal Birkdale, after they permanentlly set the time of day to afternoon and sunny skies? I thought the graphics looked decent under those conditions. You're right though, this game really gets blurry under low light conditions.

Its good to read a review from someone who plays at a higher level like you do.

I'm nowhere near the "Simulation" difficulty and even when I played the tournaments in the demo I did terrible without being able to spin the ball mid-flight.

I'm not competitive in the Amateur and Pro skill levels because I can't get into the post shot spin control with any real vigor. I can see where this game would hold more appeal to gamers who enjoy that style of play. I actually find the middle difficulty level in Tiger 14 - Tour Pro - to be reasonably fun, and doesn't require the humiliating rigors of Advanced Shot Shaping.

As a casual player, my biggest gripe with the demo is how Tiger's face looks. Arnold looked great and very accurate. They still don't know how to make Tiger in his own game actually look like himself.

Tiger does look awful in this one!

troopershades

Neo Member
They wouldn't be able to charge you for extra courses if they did that ;)
Very true. I seem to remember a previous TW that would let you modify existing holes. Change things like grass length and width of fairways and greens to a certain extent. Myself and a few others would try to jack up certain ones as much as we could just for fun.

I love using the thumb stick as the swing. When needing to sink a putt makes things very shakey.

I find the analog thumbstick swing to be far more analogous to a golf swing and more satisfying in a gaming sense, EA dropped support for the 3-click swing after Tiger 12, when their data showed a declining trend in 3-click usage to the point where less than 5% of those playing the game were using it. They also felt like their resources could be better utilized working on other gameplay elements that could potentially grow their market.

Of course I can't fault anyone's decision for not buying the game because of lack of 3-click support, I won't be buying it primarily because the Broadcast presentation doesn't hold the perspective view my golfer's swing camera for at least 4 seconds, before switching to a "Broadcast" camera position ;)

MizzouRah

Yes, I tried the demo of Tiger 14 with the Move and I thought it controlled at least as good as last year's implementation. I didn't play the game with the Move beyond the demo last year either, but it wasn't because I found the Move interface lacking. I just have a problem executing a golf swing with nothing but the Move in my hands. It doesn't have the feel and mass of a golf club, yet my body is trying perform my IRL golf swing. It feels awkward to me and actually puts a little hitch in my back.

If the Broadcast presentation of Tiger 14 was more golfer oriented, I could see myself buying a SimStix (golf club like attachment in which you can mount your Move and has a real golf club grip) adapter for the Move and playing the game full time. I

Have you ever tried the SimStix? One of my original reasons for purchasing the Move was to play Tiger Woods, but the Move is too short to accomodate a natural golf grip. I would be curious as to how well this actually performs, especially considering how much it shifts the position of the Move itself downward and outward on the swing plane.

Have you ever tried the SimStix? One of my original reasons for purchasing the Move was to play Tiger Woods, but the Move is too short to accomodate a natural golf grip. I would be curious as to how well this actually performs, especially considering how much it shifts the position of the Move itself downward and outward on the swing plane.

I have not tried the Simstix myself, but I know two guys who have one and they love it. They both say it's just a tad short of having the mass of a golf club, but they love the grip, saying it's of surprisingly good quality. You can buy a SimStix now from RockbottomGolf.com for $19.99, which I think is a steal considering it's normally $39.99. There's no way I could play long term with a Move, without an accessory like this... my back couldn't take it! :)

If I didn't have the reservations I do have to this game's presentation production, the a SimStix equipped Move would be my mode of choice!

I’ve had some seat time with the demo over the past few days. It does give the gamer a chance to try the new Simulation difficulty mode. It is easily the most difficult scoring challenge of any of the Tiger Woods games of this generation, but I’m not sure its for all the right reasons. There are two key reasons Simulation difficulty is significantly tougher to master: 1.) Advanced Shot Shaping and 2.) Analog Fade Strike Meter.

If you’re using Tiger Woods in the demo, the Advanced Shot Shaping requires that you track an “outside-in” swing with the swing stick, since Tiger’s natural swing tends to produce a fade. The desired swing path axis according to the swing meter runs from 5 o-clock to 11 o-clock. If you’re using a standard Xbox 360 controller, this is tough to reproduce smoothly, as the controller is built more so to deliver an X and Y axis more readily. The swing feedback meter often shows that my traces look more like a noisy sine-wave than a smooth, linear motion along this tilted axis. The shot results bear out my lack of precision. Keeping the ball inbounds is deemed to be a victory in my experience thus far, forget about hitting fairways. I bet my FIRs are under 20% in Simulation difficulty to this point.

I can see where the basis for Adavnced Shot Shaping is somewhat analogous to a golf swing, but the swing path the meter forces you to take seems to be a bit out of scale and it seems like you’re making fade happen purely with your shoulders and arms. I use my entire stance and address in real life to produce a fade and don’t “consciously” use my arms, torso, and shoulders to produce the fade.

The Analog Fade Strike Meter seems to be a bit more of stretch in trying to correlate to the mechanics of a golf swing. You have to hold a cursor on a target on the desired impact point on the ball with the right thumbstick (although you can switch thumbsticks such that either can be the swing stick and strike meter stick), even though the cursor permanently disappears one second after you move it. It’s difficult to hold the cursor on the desired impact point when you can see it, let alone after it’s disappeared and you’re having to rely on memory. If you’re off on the strike point, the shot results vary from skulled or popped-up to shanked or toed, proportional to have far you were off with the strike meter. It can be more frustrating and difficult than the same shot in real life!?

The above aspects make the game feel more like a controller interface mastery challenge than one based modeling a golf swing with movements and actions that are more analogous to the senses. There is a learning curve with mastering Advanced Shot Shaping and Analog Fade Strike control and I have made some progress with it. I just don’t think it will ever replace the less contrived I interface of Tiger 13 as one that resonates with the senses more naturally, although it does make for a better scoing challenge, if that's what you're after.

Blue Lou

Well i've been playing this since its release and I'm enjoying it but I have a few problems.

- Normal difficulty is way too easy
- Animations suck
- Lack of sponsor challenges sucks. I loved fighting for that Nike sponsorship in the previous games

r3n4ud

I'd say that any previously released golf game should suffice. Never actually played a golf game on PC though, so maybe I'm wrong.

You know what, you're right. Fuck it, bought Links 2003 along with all it's courses. Had a blast with it all them years ago. Time to relive them memories!

I just started a PS3 TW14 country club with some guys from the Player one Podcast and The Fanboys forums. Opening it up to people here. Right now we are small with some people on the fence to buy the game. We are not pros. We aren't looking to be pros. If you absolutely dominate Tiger on lower settings you may find this club boring (and destroy our fun in the process).

Name: Golf Pals

Pass: Quote to see password

Settings: Easy for now, may go to moderate. Definitely won't be going full on simulation or anything - we did that last year to appease some members and the fun was sucked out of it for the vast majority of us. So you golf pros may be bored by our newbie shit - just fair warning.

Open to anyone here, any friends of friends of friends. There's a petition function to join also and generally I will be accepting them without reservation. I had it completely open to the public but it filled the entire 100 man club in about 12 hours so I've since booted everyone and will now be filling it up this way.

Come join us. It's fun. And as of the time of this post it's only $45 on amazon.

FStop7

Banned
I started a country club on the 360. Bushwood West. No password. Come and join Ty Webb, my DigiGolf alter-ego, for a few rounds.

How are the load times for PS3? 13 load times were pretty terrible, so I dropped the game after a week.

I have it digitally - i don't know if that makes a difference or not but between holes it seems snappy. Hold on I'm about to tap in, i'll time it.

8 seconds or so between holes. I don't remember booting up the game or the first hole taking an absurd amount of time.

Top Bottom