• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tim Burton and Michael Keaton reportedly in discussions for 'Beetlejuice' sequel

Status
Not open for further replies.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Link.

Tally me banana if old.

Director Tim Burton may return to one of the characters that defined his early career: The Wrap and Schmoes Know are reporting that he is currently in negotiations to direct Beetlejuice 2. The 1988 original was a horror-comedy featuring Michael Keaton as a ghoul hired by a recently deceased couple (Alec Baldwin and Geena Davis) to rid their home of its new human inhabitants. According to the report, Keaton is also expected to return to play the titular character, working from a script by Seth Grahame-Smith (Dark Shadows).

Coming off 1985's Pee-wee's Big Adventure, Beetlejuice allowed Burton to fully embrace his own spooky visual sensibilities — paving the way for his take on the Dark Knight in 1989's Batman. Despite the interest, it appears a Beetlejuice sequel likely won't be the next movie Burton makes, but it does outline a trend as the director has begun to return to some of his touchstone creative achievements in recent years. Last year's Frankeweenie was an animated version of the short film he made at the very start of his career — all the way back in 1984.

i dunno about a script from the dark shadows writer though. that film was boring.

but fuck yeah i'd be there day one. michael keaton was a great comedic actor. a shame he didn't appear in much since the early 90s.

Camp Lo

Banned
Day one if Lil Wayne makes the theme song

giphy.gif

Camp Lo

Banned
Is Keaton in a position to turn down any offers?

Dunno how reliable but..

Michael Keaton net worth: Michael Keaton is an American actor who has a net worth of $15 million. Michael Keaton earned his net worth by acting in many major films over the last 30 years. He is probably most famous for playing the role of Batman.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
I'll just put this here...

http://www.cracked.com/article_19751_6-insane-sequels-that-almost-ruined-classic-movies_p2.html

It'd be kinda awesome if they created it where he goes to Hawaii

In the grand finale, Beetlejuice turns into a giant monster ("Juicifer") when his plans have gone to shit and starts leveling the island with some help from reanimated dinosaur skeletons and monster Easter Island heads. Then, a no-longer hot for Beetlejuice Lydia uses her psychic powers to summon a tidal wave and ... levels the island herself, apparently. Including her parents' hotel. The end.

This sounds downright amazing.

Bring back the cartoon also!

That script for 2 sounds like something the cartoon would do funnily enough. Though with less leveling of islands.

Real Talk: When I was a kid, I thought the cartoon was an original series, and never knew about a movie until I got much older.

Reverse for me. I saw the movie first (even had some of the toys) but found it odd how lydia was now friends with beetlejuice and how Alec Baldwin's & Geena Davis' characters were absent.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Must have Burton, Elfman, Ryder and Keaton for me to care. Maybe also Baldwin and um.. whatever her name was... uh.. shit. It's like right on the tip of my tongue. If only I had a way to Google the name...

Oh, there it is right above me.

geebee

Banned
Burton's crappy cg effects and backdrops would be pretty horrible for a Beetlejuice movie.. go back to stop-motion effects and hand-built sets, please!

odiin

My Apartment, or the 120 Screenings of Salo
Plot twist: The "discussion" was nothing more than Burton discussing with Keaton how he plans to replace him with Johnny Depp.

Carnby

Hey Beetlejuice fans, seasons 1 through 4 of the animated series were released on dvd this year. I didn't know about it until last week, which is also when I bought it.

Hey Beetlejuice fans, seasons 1 through 4 of the animated series were released on dvd this year. I didn't know about it until last week, which is also when I bought it.

What's worse is that Beetlejuice's 25th anniversary was this year and we didn't get anything for it. No new BR (the one out now is kind of bare bones on the extra's department).

johnny depp and/or helena would be fine in the sequel. as long as they play ordinary citizens. it would do no good trying to outweird beetlejuice. he'll win everytime.

Lijik

He goes Hawaiian or no sale

Bring back the cartoon also!

what would the scripts even be, they used up all of the puns in existence the first time around

EDIT- Ill even settle for a fakeout opening where Beetlejuice is surfing in Hawaii and goes "eh fuck this" and then the real movie starts

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
The better Johny Depp.

edit: Depp and Helena should play a couple. The thing is, I don't think Depp would accept such a role because Keaton would totally shame him as Beetlejuice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom