• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

To Hip Hop Heads : Ever notice this growing trend in the industry???.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ceros

Over the past 2 years, alot of various rap artists with skill and notoriety have rose to fame. I remember them coming from their hot tracks on mixtapes. Although, there was alot of shit goin on in the industry with less emphasis on lyrical talent and moreso "club bangers", there were many artist who had showed some signs of changin the game. I was sitting here thinking about the current state of hip hop and came to a realization. Every artist that was hot on mixtapes has had a GARBAGE album I'll give you some examples starting with the earliest:

Fabolous: Listen to some of his Triangle Offense freestyles and some of his mixtapes....then go listen to his 2(?) albums. Tell me you don't see the difference.

Joe Budden: Wether you hated him or liked him you can't deny that he was hot. Listen to The Best of Joe Buddens mixtape by Cutmaster C. Although, I thought his album was real deep (check the cut 10 Minutes and Calm Down) and I really dug the classic tracks on the album, it was a Joe Budden that varied from his mixtapes. We were expectin to get "The Jump-off" instead we got "Regular Joe".(which I don't think is bad but it kinda cut into his sales)

Cassidy: All I have to say is Freeway Battle. From the 100s of freestyles he's laid down on various mixtapes, you'd expect some straight hotness from the album. I felt like a dummy, running around disputing the fact despite his single "Hotel" was lollipop type commercial, his album would be full of mind bogglin punchlines. I wasn't expecting anything hot from the beat area because Swizz Beats isn't the most consisent producer out there. Two words comes to mind when you listen to his album: The Fuck? Man this has to be one of the most disappointing albums of the year. The first half of the cd is full of "I need a girl" type tracks that were redundant and boring. The next half is full of songs from mixtapes (Pop that cannon, Let me talk to ya, Blood pressure) and just filler tracks. I just wanna smack someone for even letting this garbage come out into stores..

Lloyd Bank$: Mixtapes were blazing. Especially Cassidy vs Lloyd Banks. Then I'm listening to his album. Now I'm one of the few that liked the G-Unit album, but Bank$' album was subpar than even that. What does that tell you??? (Actually now that I think about it, I'm pretty sure that 50 isn't stupid enough to let Bank$ get more shine than him because the masses will realize that 50 is garbage, and Lloyd is literally the best lyricist out of G-Unit.)

Jadakiss: D-block pretty much ran the mixtape scene during late 2003. After judging from his efforts on D-Block City the mixtape, I was greatly anticipating his album. Also his previous lp "Kiss tha game goodbye" had a decent showing. On the contrary, his new album sucks massive horse cock compared to his mixtape cuts. There are only about 5 cuts on the whole album worth listening to fully. Not even appearance from D-Block members....and even Eminem (aka the Great White Hype) could make this Jadakiss album hot.

Do you see the trend? Who makes the decision that you will spit your hottest lines on damned mixtapes and spit your most cookie cutter lines on your debut lp? The rap game is at an all time low. I don't even listen to the radio anymore because I don't "pop cris" and "party with video hoes all day". And I'm pretty sure most of the population doesn't either. The game has switched up from hood beats and ghetto anthems to pop songs and more reliability on production than actual lyrical talent and flow. It's actually sad when you see a bunch of white guys(ducks) in the mall walkin around spittin some of the lyrics to Slow Motion(not saying it's a good song, it sucks ass) and you wonder what the game has turned into. This commercial shit is not the essence of hip hop. I remember when rappin was more of an art form...than just a "Job". You actually had to have some talent to get signed. Tell me who the fuck signed The Ying Yang Twins?? Who the hell allowed Three Six to get airtime? You know the game is fucked up when 50 cent is supposedly the "hottest" rapper out. Anyway, does anyone else feel the same way I do? Any opinions on the matter?

I don't watch Mtv nor listen to the radio. I mostly watch VH1 classics[80s stuff] and please pardon my ignorance but who the f**k are the Ying Yang Twins?

Yes, but in general Hip-Hop has been sucking. Although this year looks like it gonna pick up:

The Roots- Tipping Point :)
Talib Kweli- Beautiful Struggle
Common- Basement Elevation
Nas- Street Disciple
K-os

They don't frequent the mixtape circuit that often so I'm happy.

Rappers, I guess make that extra effort on mixtapes because, rappers know mixtapes generate hype and hype = album sales ie 50 cent. Despite how shit your album is.
It could also be that in general they spit over hot beats, so the production on their own album is sub-par. OR the fact they have to hotter than the next rapper on the track.
Just shows you, punch line rappers have very little to say anyway.

Anyway I hope they learn the error of their ways and keep their best verses for their albums. But the way Lloyd Bank's sales are going I doubt it.

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ
You also have to take into acct the people producing some of these artists. In trying to mold and make a big star out of them alot of their pure street hits get shuffled under the rug. A mix tape DJ doesnt have to take into account image he just has to put together some hot tracks and let rappers do their thing.

Where as a music label is probably saying which sound fits the image we want this guy to portray. Hoping that the image they pick will be the most accepted by the masses. Like Method Man, the guy had 21 hot tracks from the RZA, real grimy enter the 36 chambers tracks, for his latest album but Def Jam made him use mostly tracks from other producers.

I Honestly couldnt tell you what happened to fabulous he just sucks, cassidy either the kid can do spit fire, but hey I guess someone decided he needed a more appealing feel and look because maybe he's too young to be hardcore?? Lloyd Banks problem is he mumbles too much. And Jadakiss's last album is ok in my book, and apparently alot of people agree with me he's up there in the charts last time i checked over 220k sold its first week.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
Well, alot of artists have no idea how to take control of their situation and buy whatever garbage AR is telling them. So then you end up with a "radio friendly" CD. Take Mic Geronimo as an example. His first CD was pure fire. Then the 2nd CD comes out and he is all dancing with Puff in flashy suits. All because he listened to the label. In the end, he lost alot of fans he gained with the first CD and was so corny and out of place, the pop-rap fans weren't feeling him either. But saying Method was forced to use other producer's tracks sounds not that plausible to me. He has the name and clout to craft a CD the way he sees fit. I haven't heard any of these 'extra' tracks that have been talked about. I would think they would have leaked on the net by now.

Also, I think part of it has to be some rappers are more concerned with "representin'" on a mixtape and think that putting any BS on the CD will sale because of the mixtape.

Teddman

Doesn't the current hot dude on the mixtape/freestyle circuit, Saigon, have an album coming up soon? Do you think it'll suck too?

Malleymal

You now belong to FMT.
i think it will be a good album, I dont think it will sell well, unless he caters to the masses....
Cam and the dip are pretty consistent. their mixtapes and albums are all pretty the same... either love or hate with the dip..

I love the dips, and I love their mixtpes... Cam'ron fucked up that song on his upcoming album "Lord U Know." It was originally called "Long Time Comin" on the dips mixtape, and had a fire sample for the hook. Even thouht it was only a snippet, I banged that religiously all winter. It had a crazy baseline.

True, the mixtapes are usually better... I can speak from experience, artists have a LOT MORE freedom on the mixtape circut becaus ethey are usually unnofficial or promotional releases. Therefore they can use a lot of uncleared samples, and sometimes say shit that they can't or normally wouldn't say on a commercial release. Mixtapes are carefree, because you aren't checking soundscan every minute to see how many units it's moving, it's simply used to create a buzz. Freedom is the key in my opinion.

dskillzhtown said:
Well, alot of artists have no idea how to take control of their situation and buy whatever garbage AR is telling them. So then you end up with a "radio friendly" CD. Take Mic Geronimo as an example. His first CD was pure fire. Then the 2nd CD comes out and he is all dancing with Puff in flashy suits. All because he listened to the label. In the end, he lost alot of fans he gained with the first CD and was so corny and out of place, the pop-rap fans weren't feeling him either. But saying Method was forced to use other producer's tracks sounds not that plausible to me. He has the name and clout to craft a CD the way he sees fit. I haven't heard any of these 'extra' tracks that have been talked about. I would think they would have leaked on the net by now.

Also, I think part of it has to be some rappers are more concerned with "representin'" on a mixtape and think that putting any BS on the CD will sale because of the mixtape.

Emcees wanna gun me, take my life from me
It’s funny but still ain’t nothin’ move but the money
It’s on

LOL! Yes, dude fell off tragically...WTF. He can still spit that fire though when he tries.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
JeffDowns said:
Emcees wanna gun me, take my life from me
It’s funny but still ain’t nothin’ move but the money
It’s on

LOL! Yes, dude fell off tragically...WTF. He can still spit that fire though when he tries.

That is lightyears removed from Masta IC. That album was classic material. IIRC even Jigga made an appearance on the CD before he blew up. I have no idea how he could fall off that fast. It only took like a year. I remember him on MTV with his girl. She was forcing him to move out of his neighborhood.

Ceros

norinrad21 said:
I don't watch Mtv nor listen to the radio. I mostly watch VH1 classics[80s stuff] and please pardon my ignorance but who the f**k are the Ying Yang Twins?

Lucky you. Just be glad you don't know who they are. They are some southern rappers with no skill. One has like half a hand(not joking) and one of them always yells "haaannnh!" in the beginning and end of every track. Fucking annoying.

Fresh Prince said:
Just shows you, punch line rappers have very little to say anyway.

I really resent that. They are actually the only ones saying something different. I mean you sometimes find yourself pressing the rewind button like "Yo son, did he really just say that shit??!" Ex from Cassidy: "I'm in the drugspot choppin the keys/ and my watch?..it could drop the degrees/ freeze!/ cause I'll cock it and squeeze/ if it's beef then my heat to ya grill like a whopper with cheese/"(everytime I hear that line I say to myself...."oh shit") I actually think punchline rappers are the most creative and are up there with story tellers when it comes to rapping. So you see where I might kinda take that comment to heart lol.

Teddman said:
Doesn't the current hot dude on the mixtape/freestyle circuit, Saigon, have an album coming up soon? Do you think it'll suck too?

If the above trend is any indication then yes lol.

Malleymal said:
Cam and the dip are pretty consistent. their mixtapes and albums are all pretty the same... either love or hate with the dip..

JeffDowns said:
I love the dips, and I love their mixtpes... Cam'ron fucked up that song on his upcoming album "Lord U Know." It was originally called "Long Time Comin" on the dips mixtape, and had a fire sample for the hook. Even thouht it was only a snippet, I banged that religiously all winter. It had a crazy baseline.

Chea!! I totally feel you on the Lord U Know joint. Dipset is pretty consisent and thats why I like them. (hence the avatar).

The game is looking real bleak right now. The only 2 albums I'm looking forward for the rest of the year are Shyne's lp that drops in august(The single he has with Fox is straight flames). And Royce da 5'9's new joint thats supposed to drop in the Fall.

Malleymal

You now belong to FMT.
^^^^ I Fuc*s with the dip... no homo.. and I am lookin forward to cams album droppin, as well as the second Diplomat retail, but I am really waiting on the Kid Ali Vegas.... his album should be STRAIGHT BLOWTORCH... seriously... he is that dude....

Ceros said:
Over the past 2 years, alot of various rap artists with skill and notoriety have rose to fame. I remember them coming from their hot tracks on mixtapes. Although, there was alot of shit goin on in the industry with less emphasis on lyrical talent and moreso "club bangers", there were many artist who had showed some signs of changin the game. I was sitting here thinking about the current state of hip hop and came to a realization. Every artist that was hot on mixtapes has had a GARBAGE album I'll give you some examples starting with the earliest:

Fabolous: Listen to some of his Triangle Offense freestyles and some of his mixtapes....then go listen to his 2(?) albums. Tell me you don't see the difference.

Joe Budden: Wether you hated him or liked him you can't deny that he was hot. Listen to The Best of Joe Buddens mixtape by Cutmaster C. Although, I thought his album was real deep (check the cut 10 Minutes and Calm Down) and I really dug the classic tracks on the album, it was a Joe Budden that varied from his mixtapes. We were expectin to get "The Jump-off" instead we got "Regular Joe".(which I don't think is bad but it kinda cut into his sales)

Cassidy: All I have to say is Freeway Battle. From the 100s of freestyles he's laid down on various mixtapes, you'd expect some straight hotness from the album. I felt like a dummy, running around disputing the fact despite his single "Hotel" was lollipop type commercial, his album would be full of mind bogglin punchlines. I wasn't expecting anything hot from the beat area because Swizz Beats isn't the most consisent producer out there. Two words comes to mind when you listen to his album: The Fuck? Man this has to be one of the most disappointing albums of the year. The first half of the cd is full of "I need a girl" type tracks that were redundant and boring. The next half is full of songs from mixtapes (Pop that cannon, Let me talk to ya, Blood pressure) and just filler tracks. I just wanna smack someone for even letting this garbage come out into stores..

Lloyd Bank$: Mixtapes were blazing. Especially Cassidy vs Lloyd Banks. Then I'm listening to his album. Now I'm one of the few that liked the G-Unit album, but Bank$' album was subpar than even that. What does that tell you??? (Actually now that I think about it, I'm pretty sure that 50 isn't stupid enough to let Bank$ get more shine than him because the masses will realize that 50 is garbage, and Lloyd is literally the best lyricist out of G-Unit.)

Jadakiss: D-block pretty much ran the mixtape scene during late 2003. After judging from his efforts on D-Block City the mixtape, I was greatly anticipating his album. Also his previous lp "Kiss tha game goodbye" had a decent showing. On the contrary, his new album sucks massive horse cock compared to his mixtape cuts. There are only about 5 cuts on the whole album worth listening to fully. Not even appearance from D-Block members....and even Eminem (aka the Great White Hype) could make this Jadakiss album hot.

Do you see the trend? Who makes the decision that you will spit your hottest lines on damned mixtapes and spit your most cookie cutter lines on your debut lp? The rap game is at an all time low. I don't even listen to the radio anymore because I don't "pop cris" and "party with video hoes all day". And I'm pretty sure most of the population doesn't either. The game has switched up from hood beats and ghetto anthems to pop songs and more reliability on production than actual lyrical talent and flow. It's actually sad when you see a bunch of white guys(ducks) in the mall walkin around spittin some of the lyrics to Slow Motion(not saying it's a good song, it sucks ass) and you wonder what the game has turned into. This commercial shit is not the essence of hip hop. I remember when rappin was more of an art form...than just a "Job". You actually had to have some talent to get signed. Tell me who the fuck signed The Ying Yang Twins?? Who the hell allowed Three Six to get airtime? You know the game is fucked up when 50 cent is supposedly the "hottest" rapper out. Anyway, does anyone else feel the same way I do? Any opinions on the matter?

lol, and camron is in your avatar.

funny guy.

Lloyd's album....eh...3 or 4 bangers....not really feelin his album

Jada = Good album, 9 bangers....dont see why there are people out there who thinks it sucks. This album is above average.

Fab sucks.

Joe buddens is dope, but for some reason no one cared to buy his album.

Mixtape scene isnt the essence of hiphop, and to be honest, i dont even care for the mixtape scene anymore. Imo it died as soon as kay slay started pushin these tapes where he was yellin stupid shit over songs like "yo son i know that was you Callin me earlier!"

Last mixtape I copped was probably one of the old Clue joints from way back in the day before he was pressin albums on a major label, thats when the mixtape circuit was really nice...now its all lame.

and yes, Everyone has seen this trend, which is why rappers are talking about this "trend" in the songs. trust me, you arent the first to notice this, your pretty fricken late actually for noticing it now.

Hiphop is dying, just something you need to deal with....there are those out there that will save it tho.

peace

<edit> oh yea....dipset and camron suck. but i guess yall must be 16 year old dorky white kids wearing american flags as bandanas..so...yall must think they're dope regardless......so what I say wont matter anyways.

Ceros

Fixed2BeBroken said:
lol, and camron is in your avatar.

funny guy.

Lloyd's album....eh...3 or 4 bangers....not really feelin his album

Jada = Good album, 9 bangers....dont see why there are people out there who thinks it sucks. This album is above average.

Fab sucks.

Joe buddens is dope, but for some reason no one cared to buy his album.

Mixtape scene isnt the essence of hiphop, and to be honest, i dont even care for the mixtape scene anymore. Imo it died as soon as kay slay started pushin these tapes where he was yellin stupid shit over songs like "yo son i know that was you Callin me earlier!"

Last mixtape I copped was probably one of the old Clue joints from way back in the day before he was pressin albums on a major label, thats when the mixtape circuit was really nice...now its all lame.

and yes, Everyone has seen this trend, which is why rappers are talking about this "trend" in the songs. trust me, you arent the first to notice this, your pretty fricken late actually for noticing it now.

Hiphop is dying, just something you need to deal with....there are those out there that will save it tho.

peace

<edit> oh yea....dipset and camron suck. but i guess yall must be 16 year old dorky white kids wearing american flags as bandanas..so...yall must think they're dope regardless......so what I say wont matter anyways.

Cam is atleast consistent if anything. He's not exactly the best rapper out, but he keeps puttin out some fire when it comes to mixtapes and lps. I didn't use to like him until recently then the cat's style grew on me. And nowhere did I say that the mixtape scene was the essence of hip hop, I said the commercial shit bein blasted on the air waves is far from it. And your reason for not buying a mixtape is IMHO stupid one. You'd think by now you'd be used to hearing djs yell all over shit. Ain't really a damn thing you can do , but if the artist you're listening to is worth listening to then you'll endure the rampant yelling lol. And where did I say I JUST noticed itI said I was sitting around here just chillin and thought about it and I posted it cause I wanted to know if anyone on here co-signed what was known about it. Thats why I pointed out some example to show to those who didn't know where I was comin from. Oh and btw, I'm a black 18 year old male that lives in Baltimore, MD so all that shit you sayin about me bein a 16 year old dorky white kid is fuckin pointless. I guess liking dipset makes us like some of the rest of these GAers huh? Sorry fam, but I'm not even gonna stoop to your level on some immature name callin shit. Take that shit back to the elementary school playground. Atleast you were right about one thing, what you say really doesn't matter.

Greekboy

Banned
Good post to the topic creator and to the person that mentioned K-OS. This guy is really good and I hope he gets the proper exposure in the US. I just love that beat to his "B-boy Stance" track and the guy is a great lyricist.

Don't diss the dips...Cam's style is at LEAST entertaining. They are an entertaining group of cats to listen to, period. His southpaw flow is original, (he's switched it up since the Horse and Carriage days. Which is prolly the last song you gave a chance.)

Juelz Santana - From Me 2 U = FIYAH.
Dips Mixtape Vol 5 = FIYAH
Cam'ron - Come Home With Me = Heat
Diplomatic Immunity = Flame

J.R Writer is that man, punchline rapper or not.

The dips brought a whole new style to the game, that a lot of cats are trying to emulate. End of story.

Greekboy

Banned
JeffDowns said:
The dips brought a whole new style to the game, that a lot of cats are trying to emulate. End of story.

And a worthless one at that. It's like somebody starts a fad and covers himself in shit and others emulate it. What's the point?

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
I only fuck w/ Dipset production, Heatmakerz and them... I'm old school and respect the art of lyricism, which they know nothing about.

Game = Garbage
G-Unit = Over exposed
Ali Vegas - Dat nukka!
Saigon - Don't sleep on this man...

DaCocoBrova said:
I only fuck w/ Dipset production, Heatmakerz and them... I'm old school and respect the art of lyricism, which they know nothing about.

Dipset has lyricisim You listen to J.R. Writer? He's got crazy lyricisim. I can send you a few tracks if you'd like to hear.

effzee

dipset dipset dipset dipset dipset!!!!

anyway i really dont like cam or the dip but whatever.

as for the the original point i think people already touched on it...artists lose the control of thier own work as the label behind them decided whats hot and whats not. you always see a watered down product.

fab is still nice but his subject matter is horrible now. he can still spit multis and his flow is amazing to me. jada's latest isnt that bad. lloyd banks's album is ok. joe budden's album i liked a lot. cassidy never heard the mixtapes but that lil snippet of the punchline posted seems a lot better than the stuff he has released maintstream wise.

as for what to look out for this yr besides what was listed is mase's new album, 50 cent, and i think a new busta rhymes.

and royce already released his album "death is certain" earlier this yr. is he releasing another album this yr?

Ceros said:
Cam is atleast consistent if anything. He's not exactly the best rapper out, but he keeps puttin out some fire when it comes to mixtapes and lps. I didn't use to like him until recently then the cat's style grew on me. And nowhere did I say that the mixtape scene was the essence of hip hop, I said the commercial shit bein blasted on the air waves is far from it. And your reason for not buying a mixtape is IMHO stupid one. You'd think by now you'd be used to hearing djs yell all over shit. Ain't really a damn thing you can do , but if the artist you're listening to is worth listening to then you'll endure the rampant yelling lol. And where did I say I JUST noticed itI said I was sitting around here just chillin and thought about it and I posted it cause I wanted to know if anyone on here co-signed what was known about it. Thats why I pointed out some example to show to those who didn't know where I was comin from. Oh and btw, I'm a black 18 year old male that lives in Baltimore, MD so all that shit you sayin about me bein a 16 year old dorky white kid is fuckin pointless. I guess liking dipset makes us like some of the rest of these GAers huh? Sorry fam, but I'm not even gonna stoop to your level on some immature name callin shit. Take that shit back to the elementary school playground. Atleast you were right about one thing, what you say really doesn't matter.

quiet, you know nothing!

jada's album is hot

those other guys (cassidy, budden, etc) albums sucked

dipset sucks
like trucky trucks
watch out
i hit you with daffy duck
like lucky luck
fuck you fuck
i spit like cam'rom bucks
look i just ran amok
this thread got plucked
i sound worse than donald duck
</CAM'RON>

oh, and yeah, mixtapes nowadays are usually better than albums EXCEPT THE DJ'S ARE SHOUTING ALL OVER THE FUCKING TRACKS

and the roots album is great!

DaCocoBrova

I went to Hampton w/ Envy. Him and Whookid are the only DJ's I fuks w/. But no matter what, I like my tracks DJ free...

Fabolous - 'Breathe'

Song is hot.

I'm not the biggest rap/hip-hop fan, but I can't stop listening to some of the tracks from Fight Night 2004, especially "Fire" by MOP. Am I just a pop-rap fan or are these groups the real deal?

http://www.easports.com/games/fightnight2004/music.jsp

For me the lyrics are meaningless (I can't usually understand lyriccs in most music anyways, let alone rap songs--God help me if my life depended on identifying what 50 Cent is saying in his songs), only the rapper's voice and the melody/tempo of his words matters, along with the beat/rhythm/samples.

The Faceless Master said:
dipset sucks
like trucky trucks
watch out
i hit you with daffy duck
like lucky luck
fuck you fuck
i spit like cam'rom bucks
look i just ran amok
this thread got plucked
i sound worse than donald duck
</CAM'RON>

LMAO! :-D

DJ Demond D: Yep, M.O.P. ("Mash Out Posse") are the real fucking deal. You should check out their rock/rap hybrid coming out soon, it's actually pretty fucking good (and I'm not fucking with rock/rap/nu-metal shit usually)

Saint Cornelius said:
DJ Demond D: Yep, M.O.P. ("Mash Out Posse") are the real fucking deal. You should check out their rock/rap hybrid coming out soon, it's actually pretty fucking good (and I'm not fucking with rock/rap/nu-metal shit usually)

Good, I'm glad I still have an ear for what's good.

DaCocoBrova

Funny you should mention M.O.P.

Code:
                         TRaCK LiST                      

Track Name                                Time          
            -´        
                 CD1                                                     

01  Marxmen Cinema Intro                      01:55         
             02  Da Money Got Lost                         01:55         
             03  Tef Money                                 01:03         
             04  Bloody Murdah                             04:04         
             05  Here Today Gone Tomorrow                  04:06         
             06  Get Down                                  04:11         
             07  Easy                                      00:41         
             08  The Game's Been Fixed                     03:55         
             09  The Marxmen                               03:47         
             10  Nine & Two Clips                          03:20         
             11  Western Beef Skit                         00:39         
             12  My Hood                                   03:51         
             13  All of the Above                          04:54         
             14  Story of My Life                          05:23         
             15  Niggggaaaah                               04:15         
             16  Beats by Fizroy                           03:50         

CD2                                                     

01  DJ Premier Intro                          00:46         
             02  Brooklyn Military                         04:40         
             03  Half and Half                             04:16         
             04  Hilltop Flava                             04:15         
             05  Downtown Swinga                           04:03         
             06  Rugged Neva Smooth                        05:12         
             07  Cold World                                04:50         
             08  The Life                                  04:02         
             09  Victim of the Ghetto                      05:12         
             10  Guns and Roses                            04:01         
             11  Watch Out                                 04:30         
             12  Got to Go                                 03:49         
             13  What the Fuck                             03:36         
             14  G-Boy Stance                              04:17         
             15  Fuck M.O.P.                               03:27         
                ´        
                                                    Total  112:45 min

Blacklion

Good post

lol @ The Faceless Master that shit was funny.

Fresh prince is on point with his pics

The Roots- Tipping Point
Talib Kweli- Beautiful Struggle
Nas- Street Disciple
K-os

i'd like to add
Slum village
and any CD compilation from beat generation....well almost any cd by them.

Damn....how could i forget about Little Brother.

Ceros

Fresh Prince said:
Yes, but in general Hip-Hop has been sucking. Although this year looks like it gonna pick up:

Nas- Street Disciple

I totally agree with you on the Common side of things. I don't know what kinda shit he was on when he made his last LP. I'm glad he's back to his old self, you can tell he has a new fire in his eye when he spits. He's back on his game. But man....I think Erykah Badu has the most dangerous pussy in the rap game. First it was Common, she had him high off that shit lol (look @ the cover of his last cd). Now it's Andre 3000. If you notice, he didn't start dressin weird and actin "unique" until he was messin with Erykah lol. Anyway, I'm not too sure about the Nas pick, because I think his CD will either flop sale-wise, or he will suffer from the commercialization of modern rap. I pray to god I'll be eating those words, because I really used to mess with Nas. I just hope his new cd will have some vintage Escobar style rhymes on it for Nastalgia(get it?? lol). Anyone know if he will have an appearance by my man Sosa aka AZ?? When those 2 get together and spit....it's like lyrcial harmony fam.

The entire Dipset crew is lyrically garbage. They are nothing more than a laugh for me. JR Writer is a run of the mill NY mixtape emcee, spitting punchline after punchline but not saying anything. Which is fine, I listen to a bunch of stuff that doesn't offer much lyrically, but he isn't saying anything unique and original, his style is stale. I checked his mixtape Writer's Block Part 1, and while he had a few good lines, thats all it was good for.

Their group and individual albums are good for some funny lines and one or two good beats, unless its yet another Heatmakerz track with over produced hi hats.

Its in a way frustrating, because Cam'ron was actually pretty good back in the day, pre Confession of Fire.

Fabolous, he likely started crying when Mase came back, considering he bit Mase's entire style and tried to play it off as new.

The reason the hip hop landscape changed between the early to mid nineties and now is money. Black Moon, A Tribe Called Quest, Wu Tang, Organized Konfusion, Pharcyde, etc weren't seeing millions of dollars, and millions of dollars for budget, marketing and promotion weren't being invested by the labels. Artists weren't given a 500 grand advance and a 1 million dollar video budget.

Then, a few groups or emcees get on MTV, it slowly starts building up. Label execs see some money can be made off of the culture. Emcee Knucklehead gets signed with a big advance, gets a big video budget, sells some records. He's in the video balling, with in reality its rental cars and models brought in. His profits are taken from his record and are used to pay for the promotion. He isn't seeing a lot of money. Next album, he decides he needs a song that'll sell records, so he gets a guy with market exposure for a verse, gets an R & B singer to do the hook, bigger video. Sees a little more money, the cycle continues.

A young dope emcee signs, takes the money. The exec is expecting X amount of record sales, and the people at the label are saying "Tracks 1, 3, 7 and 9 aren't going to get radio play. We need a big single." The emcee knows spitting 100 bars straight over a rugged beat isn't going to get teenage girls to buy his record. After all, he has kids to feed. He can't rap forever. He does a track he may not agree with, but its a single.

Its a vicious cycle, and only the extremely popular emcees are seeing big money. No one could think that Method Man would've dropped that garbage last album if he was gauranteed a million sales. But he wasn't so he has to make an album that caters to the general population, and he tries doing a few raw tracks so the hardcore fans don't stray.

I can't say I blame them. Almost every label is crooked, and every exec has his hooks into his clients. Shit, Russell Simmons actions forced the Beastie Boys to leap to Capitol, and Russ is seen as one of the nice guys in rap.

That's why its great to see groups like Outkast and the Beastie Boys reinvent themselves and still sell records every time out. Southernplayalistic did well, ATLiens did better, but they happened to drop a very catchy song with "Rosa Parks." If you listen to it, right now nothing sounds like it, and that was the case at that time. So they get more sales doing what they do. Then everyone loves Bombs Over Baghdad, so the execs see that they can sell doing what they do well.

The truth is I will say this:

I do not like punch line rappers, if you want to say jokes stand up in front of wall and become a stand-up comedian.

Call me a hater :p

The occassionaly punchline here or there is okay but punchline after punchline is really getting repetitive.

Yep I'll have to agree with you, Ceros. Nas is a bit of iffey, Thief's Theme lyrically is okay but not the song exactly to hype up your album.

But then Don't Say Nuthin', I thought was very average but Tipping Point I feel is much better than Phrenology.

So hoping SD goes the same way.

Also Mos Def and Immortal Technique, are releasing abums by the end of this year as well, Blacklion.

This year looks like the rise of emo/backpacker rap, well at least something different to the normal gangsta/bling/whiny bitch (eminem) rap.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom