• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

To those that pre-ordered Halo 2 from Gamestop.com, a DAY delay.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
Dear Customer,

You have signed up to receive release date changes for:

Halo 2 Limited Collector's Edition

http://www.gamestop.com/product.asp?product_id=210577&affid=1

Old Release Date - 11/8/2004
New Release Date - 11/9/2004

Thank you for visiting GameStop.com!
The World's Largest Selection of Gaming Products!

NOTE: The product release date is the best estimate as to when the product
will become available. These dates are subject to change at anytime.
GameStop.com is in constant communication with product vendors to provide
you with the most accurate release dates possible.

Eff this. I am doing in store.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
It could be that the collector's version is going to have a delay of a day or two. What if they got more pre-orders than expected?

I pre-ordered in-store at EB though; they're going to be open at 12am November 9th. :)

Bog

Junior Ace
I can't think of a single game that I need the exact second (or even day) it's released.

Lyte Edge said:
It could be that the collector's version is going to have a delay of a day or two. What if they got more pre-orders than expected?

the stores around here are averaging 300 pre-orders, most of them being the Spec. Ed. I only hope they made enough of them.

Lyte Edge

Redbeard said:
The game's release date is the 9th, so how is that a day delay? The 8th was clearly wrong to begin with.

Released on the 9th or Shipped on the 9th?

Redbeard

Banned
Both, I would think. They aren't going to ship before the official release date, and if you've got overnight shipping that would mean you get it on the 10th. I don't think they do same day shipping.

Lyte Edge

Redbeard said:
Both, I would think. They aren't going to ship before the official release date, and if you've got overnight shipping that would mean you get it on the 10th. I don't think they do same day shipping.

That's why if you want to get this game first, your best bet is to pre-order at one of the larger EB or Gamestop stores in your area; they'll get it same-day shipped and go to pick it up from distribution ASAP.

Deku Tree

They still might ship it on the 8th. IGN gamestore (through gamestop) overnight shipped Paper Mario TTYD on the friday before it's official release date. Either way I'm not gonna stress about it.

Subitai

I highly encourage anyone who preordered at GS to go back and pay full price because you will be in a special line that will go significantly faster. This doesn't sound like much, but when you think that GameStop has decided that there can only be 2 lines (fully prepaid and everyone else) you really want to be in that other line.

Most stores are probably stuck on a 56k connection and that means 1 transaction a minute per register. Most stores will only have 4 registers up.

That's 4 transactions a minute, which comes to only 240 transactions an hour. So if most stores have at least 300 reserves (probably a lot more) like the high end for Vice City and TWW when those came out, then you're looking at possibly 1000 people lined up at midnight for most stores when you throw in the 1-2 people who didn't reserve for everyone who did. And probably at least twice that at the big stores.

So if you aren't camping out the day before, it will take you at least 2 hours when doors open if you don't fully prepay and get in the fast line. 4 hours if you're unlucky and are at the end of the line.

I can't give out numbers, but Halo 2 is going to make the console launches look like tea parties. We are talking lines like there were for Episode IV at movie theaters except bigger and slower.

LukeSmith

Subitai said:
I highly encourage anyone who preordered at GS to go back and pay full price because you will be in a special line that will go significantly faster. This doesn't sound like much, but when you think that GameStop has decided that there can only be 2 lines (fully prepaid and everyone else) you really want to be in that other line.

Most stores are probably stuck on a 56k connection and that means 1 transaction a minute per register. Most stores will only have 4 registers up.

That's 4 transactions a minute, which comes to only 240 transactions an hour. So if most stores have at least 300 (probably a lot more) like the high end for Vice City and TWW when those went out, then you'er looking at possibly 1000 people lined up at midnight for some stores when you throw in the 1-2 people who didn't reserve for everyone who did. And probably at least twice that at the big stores.

So if you aren't camping out the day before, it will take you at least 2 hours when doors open if you don't fully prepay and get in the fast line. 4 hours if you're unlucky and are at the end of the line.

I can't give out numbers, but Halo 2 is going to make the console launches look like tea parties. We are talking lines like there were for Episode IV at movie theaters except bigger and slower.

HOLY MATHEMATICS.

Just go to Meijer and get it.
Or Wal-Mart, they will break the street date anyway.

Brannon

Done and done, but I want to know if the Gamestop at Lenox Mall (Atlanta, GA) is going to be open. Guess I'll have to call tomorrow.

Subitai

Scoot said:
HOLY MATHEMATICS.

Just go to Meijer and get it.
Or Wal-Mart, they will break the street date anyway.
I highly doubt it, especially in areas with lots of retail dollars.

MS reps are going to be all over the place, especially at big retailers, to make sure this thing doesn't get screwed up.

Edit: Like I said before, MS is treating this like the Xbox launch except bigger.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Someone in the Outrun 2 thread a couple days ago stated that Toys R Us will get Halo 2 around 10/27-11/1 (according to their computer). So someone might actually be stupid enough to break release date if they game is indeed arriving in stores that early. Probably unlikely but yeah...

Rhindle

After the French leak, I wouldn't be surprised if Microsoft pushes back the delivery dates for stores to minimize the likelihood of a further piracy incident. In fact, that might be the reason for the delay in the GS ship date. MS may just have decided to deliver copies to stores on Nov. 8, just before the release.

Rhindle said:
After the French leak, I wouldn't be surprised if Microsoft pushes back the delivery dates for stores to minimize the likelihood of a further piracy incident. In fact, that might be the reason for the delay in the GS ship date. MS may just have decided to deliver copies to stores on Nov. 8, just before the release.

At any other time of the year, I could see this. Not now, when the holiday season is upon us. It would be a logistical nightmare with all of the other stuff on all consoles and other non-game-related items that need to be squeezed through the lines.

Top Bottom