• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Today, in nostalgia mining: Magnum P.I. sequelboot being readied at ABC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Because originality has offically died on television barring Empire, we're getting another sequelboot.

Magnum has received a script commitment with a hefty penalty. The potential series is described as an action-packed drama in the same style of the original. It follows Magnum's daughter, Lily "Tommy" Magnum, who returns to Hawaii to take up the mantle of her father's PI firm. She and her tribe of friends mix tropical beaches with the seedy underbelly of international crime and modern espionage, even as she tries to unravel the mystery of the blown spy operation that ended her career in Navy intelligence.

Already in the works this season are reboots of The Lost Boys (The CW), Varsity Blues (CMT), The Departed (Amazon), Let the Right One In (TNT) and L.A. Law, though the latter does not yet have a network attached.
I feel like all these TV execs are so damn desperate they're willing to do whatever it takes to get a show Empire-level ratings. Maybe this means next season we'll get Remington Steele, Hart to Hart, B̶o̶s̶o̶m̶ ̶B̶u̶d̶d̶i̶e̶s̶ (oh wait, that was Work It), ALF, Miami Vice, and Who's The Boss. I also feel like the guy who pitched this saw the Hawaii Five-O reboot's pilot, scrapped one or two elements, threw in a red Ferrari, and pitched it to execs.

EDIT: How does Lily become Tommy? In what world does someone's nickname get longer than their actual name?

strafer

Ugh, I don't know how I feel about this.

Tom Selleck IS Magnum, I don't know how this will work.

Sellecks chesthair or gtfo

Surprisingly, I'm not completely opposed to the idea as a sequel series. With the right actor as Magnum, and some good writing, maybe.

It's Hollywood, though, so it'll probably be miscast and trite.

Tizoc

Ugh, I don't know how I feel about this.

Tom Selleck IS Magnum, I don't know how this will work.

Sellecks chesthair or gtfo

tumblr_nslzrqnAI01uw4m2ao5_1280.jpg
I wholeheartedly agree.

Inb4 "Magnum has to be a guy".

The first Magnum was a classic, but I see 100% no issue in making a new one.

I see a Ghostbusters-type backlash coming.

I just came by to say how much I admire the term 'sequelboot.' Truly an encapsulation of how the modern world is making me feel old, slow, and tired.

Pass me my sequelboots.

darscot

Sounds like garbage, Magnum was great because the guy had bad ass vietnam stories and you knew he would blow someone away.

darscot

It was just as much tha Magnum had that layabout charm to him, with the bad ass just under the surface.

Yeah for sure, he had the whole been through hell I'm going to enjoy the rest of my life, but don't think for a second I didn't learn a few things in hell.

FStop7

Banned
I'm surprised this hasn't happened sooner and if they set it in the 80s rather than give it that inevitable gritty modern reboot then it might have a chance of being good.

darscot

I'm surprised this hasn't happened sooner and if they set it in the 80s rather than give it that inevitable gritty modern reboot then it might have a chance of being good.

Yeah they a do this like Stranger Things and I'm down, would be awesome.

Coming back to the casting, they need to find someone who can channel both the charm, and bad ass-itude that was her "dad." Not an easy task.

They would probably take the easy way out, and make her a Navy hard ass and skip the charm, which would completely miss the point of Magnum PI.

Kayhan

She and her tribe of friends mix tropical beaches with the seedy underbelly of international crime and modern espionage, even as she tries to unravel the mystery of the blown spy operation that ended her career in Navy intelligence.

LMAO this reads like The Onion.

Tobor

/shrug

At least its a sequel. Leaves room for a Tom Selleck cameo.

If she kicks butt and drives Robin Master Jr's Ferrari...Ehh, I probably still wont watch it. But I'm not offended by it's existence, so that's cool.

I'm still waiting for the Small Wonder and Punky Brewster reboot crossover episode.

I think they should make all of these 80s reboots take place in the same universe somehow.

This is from the guy who did Leverage and The Librarians. Expect something like the Hawaii 5-0 reboot, but maybe somewhat jokier.

I don't think this can remotely resemble the originak since tv shows nowadays are way too serious for their own good when compared to 80's tv shows.

I will still give it a try though, especially if it has Tom Selleck cameos.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Please please please let her have the signature mustache. No explanation, just have the opening scene be her shaving it off before moving to Hawaii. Or better yet, she keeps it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom