• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Today's baseless political rumor: Cheney to be dropped from ticket?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prospero

Drudge:

NYT PAGE ONE THURS: BUSH TO DROP CHENEY GOSSIP
Wed Jul 14 2004 18:21:14 ET

The latest theory about Vice President Dick Cheney's future on the Republican ticket, advanced privately by prominent Democrats, including members of Congress, holds that Cheney recently dropped his personal doctor because of drug addiction so that he could hire a new one, who will conveniently tell him in August that his heart problems have made him unfit to run with Bush!

So reports the NEW YORK TIMES, in a planned Front Page story on Thursday.

Reporter Elisabeth Bumiller is set to kick the gossip into high gear with a 1,600-word speculative, newsroom sources tell DRUDGE.

New York Times article (registration required; use login: registration, password: required)

Who would replace Mr. Cheney has nonetheless became a favorite Washington guessing game, with the names of Secretary of State Colin L. Powell and Senator John McCain of Arizona whispered about the most. Never mind that neither has a particularly cordial relationship with Mr. Bush, and that neither has expressed interest in the job. Other names that keep popping up include Condoleezza Rice, the national security adviser, and Bill Frist, the Senate majority leader.

Bush/McCain? Bush/Powell? Bush/Rice??

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
I always thought that Powell would make a great running mate for Bush. As the public would be voting mostly for Powell. But I would be shocked if "Clean Dick" is dropped from the ticket. The Drudge clip sounds bizarre.

shoplifter

This rumor has been floating around for quite some time. Originally, the vp choice was Guiliani iirc. Bill Frist would be an absolute NIGHTMARE, this election would become even more polarized.

If Cheney suddenly dropped out due to "health reasons", I don't see how it could do anything other than help Bush.
...boosters of Rudolph W. Giuliani, the former mayor of New York, have long tried to toss his name in the mix, despite the fact that friends of the president say he would never pick Mr. Giuliani.
I wonder why Bush doesn't want Guiliani? It seems like it would almost hand Bush the election for 2004.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
shoplifter said:
This rumor has been floating around for quite some time. Originally, the vp choice was Guiliani iirc. Bill Frist would be an absolute NIGHTMARE, this election would become even more polarized.

it wouldnt be a great idea for bush to pick someone whos so far right to be his running mate. Hes probably better off sticking with cheney even though hes got alot of tin foil hats foaming at the mouth, because hes not very outspoken about key social issues.

Banjo Tango said:
If Cheney suddenly dropped out due to "health reasons", I don't see how it could do anything other than help Bush.I wonder why Bush doesn't want Guiliani? It seems like it would almost hand Bush the election for 2004.

Because Guiliani dislikes the administration, and happens to like and support Howard Stern. :p

human5892

Queen of Denmark
Colin Powell would never, ever, EVER be on the ticket with Bush. Being a moderate in this heavily right-leaning adminstration was probably his worst nightmare. I think he'd sooner commit seppuku than be involved with them again.

kitchenmotors said:
Because Guiliani dislikes the administration, and happens to like and support Howard Stern. :p
Heh, I had no idea. In the few recent times I've seen Guiliani, he's always been positive towards Bush.

But what about a McCain / Ice Cream ticket?

Edit: Favorite Daily Show line about Cheney:
"You've already won the war on [gesticulates wildly] dazzle!"

Diablos

It makes sense. There has to be a conflict going on between Cheney and others. One reason in particular is that I'm sure Cheney does not approve of the right-wing fanatics frowning upon gay marriage since his own daughter is a lesbian. Plus Cheney is a greedy corporate whore (they all are really, but he's the most obvious one) and he makes the administration look really bad. Mr. "Give Me Oil so I can get rich off of my company."

Pimpwerx

If Powell runs, it would be tempting. Hell, I might vote for that just b/c it could vault him into the presidency in 08. And Powell >>>> * so far. Did a good job smoothing out a lot of the waves caused by Bush/Cheney, so it should be even better when he's calling the shots himself. However, it's like dancing with the devil. Powell's cool and all, but he's also just one man in a still crooked regime. So I'd have to be convinced. Personally, I want to see a Powell/McCain ticket at some point. The new, moderate Republican party. :D Yeah, that could work. PEACE.

Drensch

Cheney would give Bush a unremovable wedgie. And one wonders if Cheny will step down in name only to still remain the puppet master.

Nerevar

they call me "Man Gravy".
did this come from Drudge? The same Drudge that reported about Kerry's "scandalous" intern relationship (which was totally fabricated, by the way)? Come on, that is one of the worst places to find news on the web.

And by the way, as much as I hate it, Bush / McCain would fare FAR better than a Bush / Cheney and win a lot more voters (IMO).

Pimpwerx said:
Personally, I want to see a Powell/McCain ticket at some point. The new, moderate Republican party. :D Yeah, that could work. PEACE.

Hell, that might even convince me to vote Republican right there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom