• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Todd Howard on Overpriced Starfield Mods Backlash: "We take all the feedback"

Draugoth

Gold Member
garfield-mod.png

Source

While this latest backlash revolves around The Vulture mission, Bethesda has faced criticism over paid mods before. Indeed it’s the studio’s continued effort to enable paid mods for its games that has rubbed some players up the wrong way.

“We hear that feedback, too,”

Howard said. “

First of all I’ll say that stuff gets priced based on things that we've done before both in Creation Club and then Fallout 76, and we're always trying to be looking at what else is out there, really make sure we're giving value to everybody and where we're not, hey you know, we definitely will adjust.

“The one thing I want to say on The Trackers Alliance, that was really an attempt to something we did in Creation Club where we'd say, hey you get this special outfit and you get this special weapon, we wanted to put them together, and then thought, let's go the extra mile and wrap those around a quest.

“But now we definitely see the feedback right? And that's not what we want at all in terms of, oh no, this looks like a faction that we're chopping up and then selling for 700 credits at a time. And so I do think we are going to take a look at that and how we deliver content like that, and whether we're changing pricing or breaking it up or what we should do there. So, great feedback from the community.”

Howard insisted, however, that Bethesda’s policy on paid mods has the health of the modding community at heart.

“As it comes to, particularly the creators out there, look, our view is, a lot of them have gone from hobbyists to professionals. And it’s part of our job to make sure they can do that and they do get paid and they see the monetary rewards if they make awesome content,” Howard said.

Last edited:

Laptop1991

Howard insisted, however, that Bethesda’s policy on paid mods has the health of the modding community at heart.
Yeah right lol, that's why he only mentioned Fallout 76, they are only interested in the money now, not the modding community, also the state of that update on PC that has caused Fallout London to be delayed was done on purpose lol, it still isn't on GOG, Todd can't lie straight in bed!

Yeah right lol, that's why he only mentioned Fallout 76, they are only interested in the money now, not the modding community, also the state of that update on PC that has caused Fallout London to be delayed was done on purpose lol, it still isn't on GOG, Todd can't lie straight in bed!
Not supporting Bethesda here, but who gives a fuck about what Fallout London wants?
Its a mod, not an official game dlc or port. The fact that it still exists only because Bethesda is cool with the community doing stuff like that. every update for fallout, skyrim, etc has caused mods to break and require the either be updated or the game rolled back in updates. This is literally no different. The next gen update was expected to break many mods and more than that, the community has been asking for the next gen upgrade for ages.

If you want to get mad at Bethesda for charging for shitty mods then you're on the right side.
If your mad that some fan made mod had to rework shit on their side again from their 2023 release date, that's not a Todd Howard problem and quite frankly, the problem of the modders and their vision. The mod's been in devlopment since 2019. The real todd howard fuck you would have been to get the mod cancelled or stopped right before the release date. That would be a nintendo level dick move considering Todd's always wanted Fallout to be american centricly themed.

Last edited:

Rockman33

Then don’t buy the mods. Games charge absurd amounts of money for cosmetic skins constantly, this isn’t the first time nor will it be the last. Vote with your wallet. They charge that much because people pay.

The way to get around this is simply NOT BUYING THEM.

These games continue to make improvements because the whales pay for the production costs based on these sales.

It some ways it sucks and I wish games would release feature complete with additional free add ons. But that’s just not how it works.

nowhat

I can't recall what parody article it was (probably something at The Onion) and my google-fu fails me, but there was this incredible line of corporate response:

"We hear you. We don't care, but we hear you."

Laptop1991

Not supporting Bethesda here, but who gives a fuck about what Fallout London wants?
Its a mod, not an official game dlc or port. The fact that it still exists only because Bethesda is cool with the community doing stuff like that. every update for fallout, skyrim, etc has caused mods to break and require the either be updated or the game rolled back in updates. This is literally no different. The next gen update was expected to break many mods and more than that, the community has been asking for the next gen upgrade for ages.

If you want to get mad at Bethesda for charging for shitty mods then you're on the right side.
If your mad that some fan made mod had to rework shit on their side again from their 2023 release date, that's not a Todd Howard problem and quite frankly, the problem of the modders and their vision. The mod's been in devlopment since 2019. The real todd howard fuck you would have been to get the mod cancelled or stopped right before the release date. That would be a nintendo level dick move considering Todd's always wanted Fallout to be american centricly themed.
your entiltled to your opinion, i don't agree with you, Bethesda and Todd owe modders a lot over the 20 plus years.

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Does Bethesda set the prices, or do the creators? If it's the former, what do they base it on? And what share does the creator get?

Hudo

Bethesda really are next gen when it comes to how to extract money out of their users. Conventional gaming companies only sell you DLC and mictotransactions they produced themselves.

Bethesda sell you shit that their users have done back to their users. On one hand, it's fucking genius. On the other hand, it's fucking disgusting.

Ozriel

M$FT
Bethesda really are next gen when it comes to how to extract money out of their users. Conventional gaming companies only sell you DLC and mictotransactions they produced themselves.

Bethesda sell you shit that their users have done back to their users. On one hand, it's fucking genius. On the other hand, it's fucking disgusting.

Isn’t It the same users that put the items up for sale? Plenty of mod creators put them up for free. Some choose to charge.
Quite a number of Valve games have paid user generated content.
This isn’t exactly new in gaming.

I think the most sensible advice is for people to vote with their wallets. I wouldn’t pay for most mods. Fair game to the folks who will.

recursive

This update did fuck all to the pc version with the added bonus of screwing fallout london. That mod was never headed to console anyway. So yea I would say there is a good chance this was partly a Todd Howard fuck you to pc community.

Top Bottom