• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tokyo Sky Tree is world's tallest tower

Status
Not open for further replies.
According to Wikipedia, it should be the world's third tallest artificial structure now and second after the Burj Khalifa when it's finished.

110301_Japan_Tallest_Tower_7.jpg

20110301_1.JPG

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ca...qM5h8-880-OPglBLo2KaOrmNXz5A8iA?docId=6103254

TOKYO — A transmission tower under construction in Tokyo has become the world's tallest freestanding broadcast structure, the owners said Tuesday.

The Tokyo Sky Tree project surpassed another tower in China by reaching 1,971 feet (601 metres), the company said.

When complete later this year, the tower it will stand 2,080 feet (634 metres), Tobu Tower Sky Tree Co. spokesman Hirotake Takanashi said. It will replace a 1,090-foot tower built in 1958.

"It's nice to be the world's No. 1, but it's just a passing mark," Takanashi said. "We must buckle down ourselves until we complete the tower."

He said construction of the remaining 30 metres is a critical phase that involves installation of a digital antenna.

Japan's six top broadcasters are building the tower. It is expected to bolster television and radio transmissions in the capital region. It will also house shops, restaurants and other entertainment and is expected to become a new tourist destination in Tokyo.

Designed by award-winning Japanese architect Tadao Ando and sculptor Kiichi Sumikawa, the tower stands on a triangular foundation. Its slender body turns into a cylinder as it stretches upward, with its bluish silver colour blending into the sky.

The Canton Tower in China's southwestern city of Guangzhou claimed the previous tallest-broadcaster record at 1,968 feet (600 metres).

The old Tokyo Tower remains one of the city's most visible landmarks and is visited by about 3 million tourists each year, even though it now competes with a plethora of other skyscrapers.

The new tower will stand in Tokyo's Sumida district, a riverside area known for old downtown Tokyo ambiance.

btkadams

Quadrangulum said:
Tokyo Sky Tree is world's tallest tower

According to Wikipedia, it should be the world's third tallest artificial structure now and second after the Burj Khalifa when it's finished.
I'm trying really hard to understand this. How is it the tallest, third tallest, and soon to be second tallest?

Alucrid

Banned
Looks awful.

btkadams said:
I'm trying really hard to understand this. How is it the tallest, third tallest, and soon to be second tallest?

They're still building it. So at the current height it's 3rd, once all is said and done it'll be second.

clemenx

Banned
btkadams said:
It is the tallest radio tower. 3rd tallest structure right now, probably behind some radio mast. And will be the 2nd tallest man made structure behind Burj Khalifa when its finished.

btkadams said:

There's an architectural distinction between towers and skyscrapers etc. I'm not sure why it's meaningful but that's just how it is I guess.

Fritz

Seems like such a waste of space. I hope there's more to it than radio transmission and the inevitable rotating restaurant.

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
I would imagine whichever country built that is secure in their penis size.

Furoba

I was surprised I could even see it from where I live in Chiba prefecture (Matsudo).

Needs more pics:
%E6%9D%B1%E4%BA%AC%E3%82%B9%E3%82%AB%E3%82%A4%E3%83%84%E3%83%AA%E3%83%BC031.jpg

tower03.jpg

20101014-15.jpg

20100301-00000555-san-bus_all-view-0005B15D.jpg

I really like it, it's going to be lit up in purple (miyabi, traditional japanese aesthetics) and light blue (traditional colour of Edo, the present Tokyo)

I_D

I'd rather they expand up than out.

It is pretty dumb to see one building completely dwarf everything else though. They could probably build three smaller buildings that accomplish the same goals and cost less.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Title needs a mod edit to reflect current reality.

Rahxephon91 said:
It will be a nice battle zone for the Dragons of Heaven and Dragons of Earth.

*High Five*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom