• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tokyo Sky Tree is world's tallest tower

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rahxephon91 said:
It will be a nice battle zone for the Dragons of Heaven and Dragons of Earth.

Hehe, great reference.

I do wonder if this will cause a shift in anime, in what tall building they'll destroy now.

zoku88

Immortal_Daemon said:
I'd rather they expand up than out.

It is pretty dumb to see one building completely dwarf everything else though. They could probably build three smaller buildings that accomplish the same goals and cost less.
I think you actually want radio towers to be pretty tall...

X26

Banned
If all those empty spaces in that steel webbing (don't know the proper name) had some kind of digital panel, that tower could make for some pretty awesome light shows

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Something Wicked said:
Suck it, Toronto

It sorta looks like a fatter CN tower too (at night, from the ground)

But now... We can't call ours anything but a tall tower :( oh well... We got a good 30 year run from it

Kinyou

Meus Renaissance said:
But that's not a tree
istockphoto_5604144-thumbs-up.jpg

beat

Designed by award-winning Japanese architect Tadao Ando and sculptor Kiichi Sumikawa
Ando is one of my favourite architects ever. Probably the only Modernist architect I actually like.

But I kinda doubt this will end up in his top ten works.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I fully expect them to build a Gundam on top so that it will be the tallest building.

Meatfist

It's just alright looking, not really what I would call hideous.

Dumb question, but how do they get the cranes up there? :eek:

beat said:
Ando is one of my favourite architects ever. Probably the only Modernist architect I actually like.

But I kinda doubt this will end up in his top ten works.

I don't know much about Ando but this assessment being correct wouldn't surprise me. My experience with his museum/hotel at Naoshima and from what I've seen in the picture books suggests that nature and/or the immediate surroundings are critically important to most of his works.

Hato-kun

BladeoftheImmortal said:
Can't wait to see it in an anime. It might be the new Tokyo Tower!
Pretty sure it's already in one. Dragon Crisis, if I'm not mistaken. It could have looked similar, though.

D

Deleted member 74300

Unconfirmed Member
I don't think it's finished yet.
iz494j.jpg

Riposte

How has there not be a manga yet about the tallest buildings in the world turning into mechas and competing for the grand title?

Evening Musuko

Black Korea
BankaiZaraki said:
Seriously, whats the point of building a 2,000 ft tall antenna?

Japan's going to convert to DTV this year and the tower they use now, Tokyo Tower, isn't tall enough to reach all of the city.

Monocle

Furoba said:
I was surprised I could even see it from where I live in Chiba prefecture (Matsudo).

Needs more pics:
http://eiji.net/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/東京スカイツリー031.jpg
http://av.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/20080319/tower03.jpg
http://sanpoto.net/upload/2010/10/20101014-15.jpg
http://miraisozo.up.seesaa.net/image/20100301-00000555-san-bus_all-view-0005B15D.jpg

I really like it, it's going to be lit up in purple (miyabi, traditional japanese aesthetics) and light blue (traditional colour of Edo, the present Tokyo)
Looks badass.

Dali

A coworker of mine told about its ranking being really high up there about a month ago. I was really surprised to hear how high it ranked, but after he told me it did sort of hit me that I was still able to see it fairly well even after having been on the train to Narita for 40 or 50 minutes.

The view from Asakusa (taken in December):
ncVDI.jpg

edit:

The view from Asakusa (in May):
cA6Wl.jpg

Furoba

Evening Musuko said:
Japan's going to convert to DTV this year and the tower they use now, Tokyo Tower, isn't tall enough to reach all of the city.

One of the main reasons is that the buildings around Tokyo Tower have become so big the signal has become weaker.

18.jpg

47.jpg

Earthquake safety is a factor too, a big earthquake might damage Tokyo Tower quite badly. The central pillar in Sky Tree is actually modeled on the earthquake resistance feature seen in centuries old 5 story pagoda's.

Vilam

Maxis Redwood
Meatfist said:
It's just alright looking, not really what I would call hideous.

Dumb question, but how do they get the cranes up there? :eek:

Unless I'm mistaken, they build the cranes while they're building the tower/building. Then they disassemble the cranes when they don't need them anymore and build them higher again.

Majine

Banned
345triangle said:
...you are aware that the shard is going to be the tallest building in the EU?
That's hardly a challenge, and that doesn't look very tall. Step yo game up, Europe.

/European.

Majine said:
That's hardly a challenge, and that doesn't look very tall. Step yo game up, Europe.

/European.

well yes but it's somewhat limited by where it's being built, don't you think? it's next to the river, surrounded by a bunch of historical buildings, and most importantly london has a building height restriction of 1000ft - they've actually dug into the ground just so this comes under the limit.

it's as good as london could possibly get, put it that way!

panda21

345triangle said:
...you are aware that the shard is going to be the tallest building in the EU?

the-shard-by-renzo-piano-15.jpg

the what now?

edit:
oh ok, still its not anywhere i will ever see it so meh. we need more!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom