• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tom’s Hardware “PS 5 firmware update has resulted in severe graphical errors and crashes for several high-profile PS5 & PS4 games” "please play on PC"

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch

According to several reports on the web (Reddit, Twitter, etc.), this week's PlayStation 5 firmware update has resulted in severe graphical errors and crashes for several high-profile PS5 and PS4 games being played on Sony's base console hardware. This is the same week as the PS5 Pro's announcement ahead of its November, and two major PS5 timed exclusives making their way to PC has been interesting.

Considering how much the console gaming business model hinges on a plug-and-play gaming experience that "just works," this certainly isn't a good look for Sony. Final Fantasy XVI, one of the aforementioned major PC ports releasing this, is the most reported game suffering from the issue this week.

Still, others include Death Stranding, Star Wars: Jedi Survivor, Elden Ring, and more, according to user reports. Fortunately, not all base PS5 owners are experiencing this issue— and if you are one of them, we highly recommend you postpone that firmware update if you still can— but those who do bear witness to what may be described as "glitch horror."

So, you may be wondering: what's the cause of this issue, how will it be fixed, and when can we expect that fix? Unfortunately, we don't have answers to any of those questions, but we know the issue has been brought to Square Enix (Final Fantasy devs) and PlayStation's attention via a Tweet. With any luck, we can expect a fix sooner rather than later— consumers paid an effective fee of hundreds of dollars to play these games on this hardware, so it should just work.

However, one can't help but notice that at least this week, it does seem like PC is the best place to play PlayStation 5 games. Sure, you have to wait a year or two for the PC port, but you get support for multiple image upscalers, you get way more graphics, resolution, and FPS options, you get mod support...and you don't have to wait for Sony to fix the problem for you. On PC, a lousy driver update or a harmful component is easily reverted or replaced— not so on the console.

Deerock71

Business As Usual Snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

It apparently crashes FFXVI, that game literally cannot catch a break

I also had a random crash in Astro Bot last night but people have reported crashes in that game before the current firmware update so it could be a game bug

No problems here I play my ps5 up to 20 hours a day so far since the last update no problems.

I also just got the new welcome hud just now after turning on my system.

My system is the og from 2022.

Is there a list of the games affected by this or its just random?
You do know there are 24 total hours in a day, right? You should probably do a little bit more research before you spew bullshit here 😂

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
havent noticed any crashes on anything here?
Helldivers 2 and GT7 for hours and hours since the update, no issues.

Widgets became live for me today too!

However, one can't help but notice that at least this week, it does seem like PC is the best place to play
Nice PC shilling article you got there, Tommy boy.

Last edited:
I miss second half PS3 era Sony
Yes that 2011 leak where everyones credit cards and infos leaked was so amazing. Remember when PlayStation was offline for a month that even had the entire sony board apologizing publicly for that mess?

Or when back in 2010 PS3 didn’t know February had 29 days that year and many fat units bricked for 24 hours until march 1st started because they were dealing with a “fake day” that wasn’t recognized by those units?

But sure this firmware update is for sure a tragedy much worse than whatever happened during that ps3 gen, techwise.

Nostalgia is one hell of a thing.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Helldivers 2 and GT7 for hours and hours since the update, no issues.

Widgets became live for me today too!

Nice PC shilling article you got there, Tommy boy.

"However, one can't help but notice that at least this week, it does seem like PC is the best place to play PlayStation 5 games."

Sweet! Going to buy Astro Bot on Steam so my sons can play.

Wait...

HsN6u2N.png

looking where are you GIF by The Academy Awards

I had some pretty mad graphical artifacts the other day on No Man's Sky. Figured it was just the game glitching out so I restarted it and it was fine afterwards though I didn't play for much longer after that.

FeralEcho

Sony showing the PS5 PRO comparissons now that they can finally show some differences.

Sony- "Look now there's actually grass on the ground in this game on the Pro"

Customet- "But wasn't there grass on the ground already in the original"

Sony- "Not anymore"

Think About It GIF by Identity

Last edited:
I find it hilarious when articles like this pop up. Yes, consoles can sometimes have software issues but it is nowhere as prevalent as it is on pc/laptop. Heck there are some long time prevailing issues that windows still hasn't fixed( wouldn't recommend Linux unless you are into programming) and you do still have to spend a lot of time fixing annoying issues on pc. Just recently I spent around 2 hours fixing an annoying buy that made my mic volume too low( it showed like 3% volume). Uninstalled and downloaded audio divers from motherboard manufacturer, changed a lot of settings, etc. nothing worked. Found an obscure thread on reddit, used that to get 3rd party divers. Changed some settings again and it finally worked. You don't usually get such issues in consoles or even mac. Open systems are great, but they do have their disadvantages.

Preseznik

Neo Member
Was playing the new season of MWIII and had really bad light flashes in Domination zones.
Wasn't sure if it was a "feature" (if it was, it's terrible as it makes the game unplayable), but I did switch from PS5 to PC immediately after and didn't experience it again since.

Filben

Joke of an article.

"So, you may be wondering: what's the cause of this issue, how will it be fixed, and when can we expect that fix? Unfortunately, we don't have answers to any of those questions"

So what's the point of this article? Oh, the paragraph dedicated to shilling for PC gaming and disparaging console.
"""Journalists""", riiight?

Normally I'd say who hires these clowns. But if you think about it: it's all about clicks because that's the only metric counting for reach, advertisment, interaction. How do you get interaction? With emotions. How do you get that? With highly controversial topics, shit takes, bad practice and a certain wording.

These sites are the McDonald's of news. It's about sating people as fast and cheap as possible.

Same goes for nearly all social media. It's a fucking cancer.

midnightAI

My PC rebooted randomly yesterday and I also had to restart my phone, I even had to restart my Roku, must be the latest PS5 firmware update, I'll sell it and get another PC they are always reliable and never have issues, except the one yesterday, but that was my PS5 causing that as mentioned.

Top Bottom