• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tom’s Hardware “PS 5 firmware update has resulted in severe graphical errors and crashes for several high-profile PS5 & PS4 games” "please play on PC"

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
I guess if you count "winning" as getting it 2 years after everyone else has already played it.
I honestly don't care if I have to wait 2 years especially if it comes with better framerate and all the whistle and bells. Not to mention we don't lack games to play on PC.

The only games I am eagerly waiting are GTA 6 and Ghost of Tsushima 2 but even then it's not worth investing in a pro.

Cakeboxer

"The best way to play PlayStation titles is on PC"

Of course, but what has that to do with this firmware update?
5kAMAFK.jpeg

Mr Moose

Recent Windows update made my motherboard say the CPU was 127C and made the fans run at full. Had to update the BIOS to fix that shit.
tenor.gif

Was playing the new season of MWIII and had really bad light flashes in Domination zones.
Wasn't sure if it was a "feature" (if it was, it's terrible as it makes the game unplayable), but I did switch from PS5 to PC immediately after and didn't experience it again since.
Was it the jump scare thing?

Three

Maybe thats why plucky squire crashed 3 times for me and it corrupted my save aswell after the 3rd crash...
I played plucky squire without any issues on the latest firmware for a few hours last night. Didn't really have any issues. I think this is just coincidence and nothing to do with a firmware issue (unless people are talking about a beta firmware on an insider program?)
Like many have said. Its the new "Thing" that everyone is running with. Supposedly the marching orders from Microsoft.
Well they did invent the use of FUD after all, so I wouldn't be surprised if it were.

Last edited:

vkbest

My GOD you are so right. It's ridiculous how lame this article is. Why is he begging people to play on the PC?
This is the result from Sony strategy. I warned this some years ago. If you port your games to other platform, when bad things happens such as "Concord", "non new games", "hardware or software problems", etc or your announce higher prices, your clients and your haters will look to the alternative didn't exist some years before (PC).

Thankfully, I only play first-party and third-party Sony published games on my PS5 and buy all other third-party games on PC. I am only playing Astro Bot at the moment on PS5, which is running fine on the new firmware, but have started playing Final Fantasy XVI... on PC having previously been playing it on my PS5 where it ran fine at 30 fps.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
How much of an issue it is? Few block appears on the screen or something more severe?

Also devs, adhere please to best practices in framework which you are using, shit like this in unrelated instances happens quite a lot, because someone feels smart

Hookshot

Gold Member
They really *are* trying to be the next Apple :messenger_grinning_sweat:
Went into work the other day and someone was moaning how their iPhone battery was "gone", even the plastic charging cables crack and break, and plastic is supposed to last thousands of years.

Big companies should spend more money in testing and improving stuff not looking for ways to fleece us.

ToadMan

I didn't notice any problems with an OG PS5. What did I do? Platinum astro. MvC2!!! And some GT7.

Funnily enough people said the same about a recent Samsung one update, which also didn't seem to cause me any problems.

And my PC has been solid too!

Damn. Better buy a few lottery tickets.

Three

Went into work the other day and someone was moaning how their iPhone battery was "gone", even the plastic charging cables crack and break, and plastic is supposed to last thousands of years.

Big companies should spend more money in testing and improving stuff not looking for ways to fleece us.
Plastic cracks and breaks easily and doesn't last thousands of years, especially when exposed to the sun and alcohol (and I don't mean drunkeness but actually come into contact with alcohol). It doesn't fully decompose easily though, that takes thousands of years.

Last edited:

Preseznik

Neo Member
Recent Windows update made my motherboard say the CPU was 127C and made the fans run at full. Had to update the BIOS to fix that shit.
tenor.gif

Was it the jump scare thing?
I don't think so, but I play with my sound off.

It was the in-game lines that denote the Domination zone, they flared up like in one of those videos where the graphics card is fried.
Except it was only on PS5 and only on those domination zones.

I guess possibly it's a problem with my PS5, since I haven't seen it happen while playing on my PC or Xbox.

skit_data

Gold Member
Although it might seem contradictory, I see this as somewhat of a healthy sign that they're tinkering with some deeper parts between the regular "stability improvements" and QoL features. Issues will of course be resolved fairly quickly, or face a lot of bad PR.

Zacfoldor

Honestly, how dare you try to get me to buy a PC for gaming when you run a PC website, but act like it is for my own good?

Are yall seriously on here claiming that Sony did this on purpose(lol okay, sure) while not even mentioning that this website, "Tom's Hardware: For The Hardcore PC Enthusiast" has no motivation to try to get you to swap to PC gaming?

Don't you even realize that PC gaming has dropped in popularity lately while console sales are up? PC gaming is 50% of mobile but console is almost 75%. Look at it here, right here:

Maybe they are trying to reverse that trend.

But I'm sure "Tom's Hardware: For The Hardcore PC Enthusiast" is totally unbiased. Do you see how me accusing them is kinda silly? You saying sony did it on purpose is of course many levels crazier.

I have a great gaming PC too, but I don't use it. You know why? Because most of the time I am either installing mods or after one single crash(from the mods), uninstalling them all and testing to see if it is my computer fucked up or if it was the mods, instead of just enjoying the game.

Hate everything I said? Well if you disagree it all boils down to one singular point. If you buy a console, you are buying the right to own and game on a console as long as it doesn't get stolen or destroyed by you. You are protected and Sony is forced to fix your games and work for you to make sure you are 100% warm and happy. Acting like building a PC is the same thing or somehow safer and easier or a bigger guarantee stuff will "just work" is peak, PEAK, delusion. Sony or someone(without you doing anything at all) will fix this shit, and soon. There is safety in numbers. When you build a PC, some obscure part someday will go bad and you will just be stuck with a PC that restarts every once in a while and your gaming experience is just defined like that. Every wow raid had that guy whose PC just restarts. There is safety in numbers with uniform hardware and claiming uniform hardware is an advantage of consoles is not something new that I made up, it's something that has been accepted since gaming existed and is still true today.

Last edited:

Fess

I guess if you count "winning" as getting it 2 years after everyone else has already played it.
You have to wait and risk having a storyfocused game spoiled, those are the big negatives.

But you also get a more patched up game, and with Sony you can get DLC included, plus higher framerate and better graphics and mods.

Occasionally I play games early on PS5 (Astro Bot!) but for most games I now take the waiting approach for a first time playthrough on PC. Used to double dip but I’m over that. And it’s okay. It’s def annoying to not be aboard when hyped people here talk about the games but in 2 weeks people move on to talk about other things. And great games don’t age like milk.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
My GOD you are so right. It's ridiculous how lame this article is. Why is he begging people to play on the PC?
Media just desperate for clicks, we really don’t need anywhere near the amount of web sites we have for gaming.

This whole article is based on a Reddit post and some tweets where people are just assuming issues are firmware related. They might be, but people are literally mentioning in that Reddit thread some of the bugs existed before the update lol

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
This is the result from Sony strategy. I warned this some years ago. If you port your games to other platform, when bad things happens such as "Concord", "non new games", "hardware or software problems", etc or your announce higher prices, your clients and your haters will look to the alternative didn't exist some years before (PC).
Yeah, a few glitches or crashes in my game and I am ready to go out and buy $1000 worth of games hardware and another $1000 to rebuild my software library.

Zathalus

Are people surprised that a PC centric site like Toms Hardware would say to play on PC? You wouldn’t be surprised that PlayStation Universe would tell you PS5 is the best, or that Nintendo Life swears by the Switch would you?

Last edited:
Top Bottom