• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomorrow marks five years since the Chilean mine collapse

Status
Not open for further replies.

Volimar

And CNN has a neat clickbaity article about some things you might not know.

A few snippets.

After days of searching for the miners turned up no signs of life, Chile's then-President Sebastian Piñera special ordered a cross to memorialize the men, just in case. "What if we don't find them? In 17 days, 20 days, one month, two months?," Piñera said in a recent interview with CNN's Rosa Flores. "What if we find them and they're all dead?"

Today, the large white cross welcomes visitors to the mine rescue site, marking where the miners believe God stood during their miraculous rescue.

150730164606-01-chile-miners-cross-photo-jpg-exlarge-169.jpg

A 5-inch wide hole became the miners' lifeline, a vessel for food, water and supplies. When the time came for the rescue, the miners were told to wear special elastic socks to help their cardiovascular systems. The only color available was pink. Dr. Andres Llarena recalls that the miners didn't want to wear them because of the color, and they asked whether they could get them in brown or black. "Wear them!" Llarena said sternly.

Dr. Jean Romanogli was one of the doctors on site overseeing the health and well-being of the miners. His job was to keep the men alive. His daunting task led to a promise written on his hard hat, "Nadie se queda abajo," or "No one stays under."

The miners came to know Romanogli very well through that 5-inch tube half-a-mile deep. He would load iPods with music for them, even accepting special music requests. He also recorded physical training videos, hoping the miners would lose weight and manage to fit inside the Phoenix rescue capsule. As the 33 men started emerging from deep underground, Romanogli asked them to sign their name on his hard hat.

150730164644-05-chile-miners-hard-hat-jpg-exlarge-169.jpg

More at link:

http://www.cnn.com/2015/08/03/world/chilean-miners-surprising-facts/index.html

Screw the click-baity CNN article. If you want to know more about the Chilean Miners and their ordeal and rescue then you should read this book:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0374280606/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Today, the large white cross welcomes visitors to the mine rescue site, marking where the miners believe God stood during their miraculous rescue.
Ugh. No, that was human beings saving your lives.

Branduil

Oh look the typical fedora calling
"it was god all along" mentality is pretty ungrateful to your saviors

Their saviors are probably in a much better position to judge their gratefulness or lack thereof than some guy on the internet who knows nothing about them.

gdt

I need to read some kind of long form article about this. Can't imagine not showering for 2 months. Where did they use the bathroom?

zeemumu

I don't know, they seemed pretty grateful to me. Can we get back on track and not turn a mine rescue story into religion bashing?

Too late.

train-derail-o.gif

Kinda makes it look like a memorial site rather than a rescue site though, doesn't it? Insane that it's been 5 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom