• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |May16| The Ministry of Silly Laughs

Status
Not open for further replies.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Also, Xavier III here has an amazing exaggerated baka gaijin accent in the Japanese version of this episode. It's hilarious.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Correct. The fumi-e tests lasted from the 1600s all the way until the opening of the country during the Meiji era.

Later One Piece stuff
I remember this happening in Fishman Island when the New Fishmen Pirates tried to make citizens step on the image of their late Queen

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Funimation's official channel has Samurai Champloo Subbed on YouTube so you could see it there.
Also, holy shit Japanese Mugen is Zoro.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Later One Piece stuff
I remember this happening in Fishman Island when the New Fishmen Pirates tried to make citizens step on the image of their late Queen

Yup. This is exactly where that concept came from. That arc was all about civil rights and persecution.

pirata

Weren't the Catholic Church selling tickets to heaven around this time?

That was during the Protestant Reformation in the 1500s. This is during the late feudal, pre-Meiji era of Japan before it opened up to the rest of the world (and its technologies and religions and foreign influences, etc.).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom