• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Top 5 Albums of the year so far?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryck

We could do a top 10 at the end of the year ;)
here are mine
B0001M7P78.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

B0001ZMWQO.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

B0001A79JO.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

B0001WAOH6.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

B00027JYM6.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

As a worshipper of moz it's kinda hard for me to give another band my top choice but......... if you heard the album you'd understand....It's absolute brilliance

tt_deeb

5/5 Star Albums

B0001WB696.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

B0001XARU4.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

B0000C43TE.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

4/5 Star Albums

B00029PBYE.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

B0001M7P78.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

LOOKING FORWARD TO/STILL HAVE TO CHECK OUT

Bjork- Medulla
Nine Inch Nails- Bleedthrough
Postal Service album

A lot actually, just can't think of any at the moment.

DISSAPOINTED IN

Velvet Revolver
Beastie Boys
Franz Ferdinand
Taking Back Sunday (hey, their first two singles were mad catchy)

1. Fear Before The March of Flames - Odd How People Shake
B0001NBN5M.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

2. Fear Before The March of Flames - Odd How People Shake

3. Fear Before The March of Flames - Odd How People Shake

4. Fear Before The March of Flames - Odd How People Shake

5. My Chemical Romance - My Chemical Romance
B00025ETIW.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Only two 2004 release I've bought. Still catching up on a lot of stuff from last year I never got around to.

Eminem

goddamit, Griese!
Ryck said:
What kind of music do they play?

I guess it'd be hardcore. If you've ever heard The Blood Brothers or Hopesfall, think along those lines.

The band is extremely young as well. IIRC, all the members are 21 or younger.

My favorite song by them is "On The Bright Side, She Could Choke" Give that a try to see if you like their sound.

Eminem said:
I guess it'd be hardcore. If you've ever heard The Blood Brothers or Hopesfall, think along those lines.

The band is extremely young as well. IIRC, all the members are 21 or younger.

My favorite song by them is "On The Bright Side, She Could Choke" Give that a try to see if you like their sound.

Sarah Goldfarb, Where Are Your Manners? > The 20th Century Was Entirely Man > On The Brightside, She Could Choke.

1.) Madvillain "Madvillain"
2.) MF DOOOOM "Mm Food"
3.) Pinback "Summer in Abbadon"
4.) TV on the Radio "Young Liars"
5.) Franz Ferdinand "Franz Ferdinand"

and some singles....

1.) Squarepusher "Venus #17"
2.) Cinematic Orchestra "Horizon" / "Oregon"

swoon

1. TV on the Radio
2. Xiu Xiu
3. Loretta Lynn
4. Divine Comdey
5. The Concertes
6. Devendra Banhart
7. Fiery Furances
8. Blood on the Walls
9. Wilco
10 Ghostface
11. Lori McKenna
12. Libertines
13. Franz Ferinand
14. Veitver
15. Comets on Fire
16. Madvillian
17. sufjan stevens
18. the lords
19. das oath
20. allison moorer

lots of stuff to come:

an alabtross/xrxbx split
drive by truckers
american music club
i think another comets on fire album
new devendra banhart
angels of light

reissues:

1. candi stanton
2. the third unheard
3. aceyalone
4. johnny burenette trio
5 So Young - But So Cold
6. bobbie gentry
7. mississippi sheiks
8. neil young - on the beach
9. ike turner/rythmn kings
10. DCC

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Warm Machine said:
Only record I have bought this year is...

sm-vast_nude_album_cover.jpg

I love Vast.

I actually missed two chances to see this band within three weeks. One free show, the other at a local bar.

sefskillz

shitting in the alley outside your window
Eminem said:
I guess it'd be hardcore.

I'd say more lame ass screamo than hardcore. American Nightmare/Give up the Ghost, Comeback Kid, Bane are more along the lines of what hardcore really is these days.. at least imo.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
1. Franz Ferdinand - Franz Ferdinand
2. the pAper chAse - God Bless Your Black Heart
3. Devendra Banhart - Rejoicing in the Hands
4. The Icarus Line - Penance Soiree
5. Vetiver - Vetiver

Or something like that.

For the rest of the year? Mike Watt, Gibby Haynes + His Problem, Bjork, Hot Snakes, Devendra Banhart, The Kills, British Sea Power, Ted Leo/Pharmacists, Adam Green, Optiganally Yours, Les Georges Leningrad, The Perceptionists, Pinback, etc, etc, etc...

tt_deeb said:
DISSAPOINTED IN
Taking Back Sunday (hey, their first two singles were mad catchy)

Dude I dunno what you're talking about, I love the new album. It's not as good as the first, but hey, it's still Taking Back Sunday.

Sonic Youth - Sonic Nurse
Bad Religion - The Empire Strikes First
Scarling - Sweet Heart Dealer
Modest Mouse - Good News
Rilo Kiley - More Adventurous (technically not out yet, but yeah...)
Blood Brothers - Crimes (Unmastered Leak)

nitewulf

no order:

oceansize - effloresce
B0000ALSG1.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

franz ferdinand - franz ferdinand
B0001ZMWQO.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

dragonforce - sonic firestorm
dragonforcesonicfirestorm.jpg

stereolab - margerine eclipse
B00011D1C2.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

sonic youth - sonic nurse
B000255LAM.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Eminem

goddamit, Griese!
Cerebral Palsy said:
Sarah Goldfarb, Where Are Your Manners? > The 20th Century Was Entirely Man > On The Brightside, She Could Choke.

The 20th Century was so awesome live.

swoon

sefskillz said:
I'd say more lame ass screamo than hardcore. American Nightmare/Give up the Ghost, Comeback Kid, Bane are more along the lines of what hardcore really is these days.. at least imo.

your right and wrong at the same time.

axnx/giving up the ghost and Espectially bane are really outdated jock core. racebannon/an albatross are more progressive and the blood brothers do jehu/anticoh arrow inspired core without being jockish abou tit

Dead

well not really...yet
Clinic - Winchester Cathedral
Secret Machines - Now Here is Nowhere
Wilco - A Ghost is Born
Icarus Line - Pennance Soiree
McLusky - The difference between me and you is that im not on fire

I think, i dont remember a lot of sftuff. Im looking forward to a bunch of stuff though quite a few reissues/boxsets:

The Clash - London Calling
Jeff Buckley - Grace
Mansun - Kleptomania

This year my top 5 so far would be in no order

Franz Ferdinand
Bad Religion - The Empire Strikes First
Velvet Revolver - Contraband
Offspring - Splinter
The Hives - Tyrannosaurus Hives

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
swoon: is the rest of rcbnnn's catalog as good as "Satan's Kickin' Yr Dick In?" I just haven't gotten around to checking it out, but I'm glad you mentioned it because "Satan" tears my fucking face off. I may have to check out An Albatross if you mention them in the same breath... and Antioch Arrow, being mentioned with the godly Drive Like Jehu. Can you list any other good bands in that vein? I've pretty much adored all the hardcore stuff you've mentioned (rcbnnn, this moment in black history, plot to blow up the eiffel tower, et al), so more recommendations would be great. Thanks, dude.

Eminem/Cerebral Palsy: Drive This Seven Inch Wooden Stake Through My Philadelphia Heart by Ink & Dagger. It's fucking awesome.

Once again The Walkmen realease a great album early in the year and everybody has forgotten it. It's my favorite album of the year so far. I can't really think of anything else after that... I'll edit and add once I remember them.

B00018D486.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

swoon

Lambtron said:
swoon: is the rest of rcbnnn's catalog as good as "Satan's Kickin' Yr Dick In?" I just haven't gotten around to checking it out, but I'm glad you mentioned it because "Satan" tears my fucking face off. I may have to check out An Albatross if you mention them in the same breath... and Antioch Arrow, being mentioned with the godly Drive Like Jehu. Can you list any other good bands in that vein? I've pretty much adored all the hardcore stuff you've mentioned (rcbnnn, this moment in black history, plot to blow up the eiffel tower, et al), so more recommendations would be great. Thanks, dude.

Eminem/Cerebral Palsy: Drive This Seven Inch Wooden Stake Through My Philadelphia Heart by Ink & Dagger. It's fucking awesome.

ink and dagger are so good.

racebannon fucking rocks so hard. i think i like grips of light a little bit more than satan, but god they both are amazing. the split with songs of zaratharusa (insound) is okay , not either band's best work.

they don't really sound like anything else. an alabtross writes really short fucking spazzy hxc songs, and sound like the MC5 meets like the blood brothers meet minor threat.

other bands: swing kids (they started this sound), songs of zarathusa, xrbxrx, the first hot cross album, hugs, das oath, the lords, transitor/transitor, mara'krate, the fiction, amanda woodward (great spazzy french hardcore)

i'm listen to this band's awesome demo tape, but i can't remember who they are for the life of me. it's so good though. bleh.

sefskillz

shitting in the alley outside your window
swoon said:
your right and wrong at the same time.

axnx/giving up the ghost and Espectially bane are really outdated jock core.

whats your reasoning for this? when i think jockcore im thinking hatebreed, earth crisis, integrity, one life crew, sworn enemy etc etc, i can maybe see bane but i can't see give up the ghost fitting that at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom