• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Triple Town |OT| of Ninja Bears, Crystals and Floating Castles

krae_man

I've been hooked on this game for weeks and think it deserves it's own thread.

What is Triple Town?

Triple Town is a match 3 game with a twist. Every time you match 3 of something you create something new. You then try and match three of the new thing and so on. The object of the game is to create a town by gradually matching 3 of everything to work your way up from a simple piece of grass all the way to a floating castle.

Y7oDds.jpg
X3 =
VHZTBs.jpg

VHZTBs.jpg
X3 =
A1sUas.jpg

A1sUas.jpg
X3 =
aFv3hs.jpg

aFv3hs.jpg
X3 =
Zfd3Es.jpg

Zfd3Es.jpg
X3 =
MgMLos.jpg

MgMLos.jpg
X3 =
2WhAas.jpg

2WhAas.jpg
X3
77Fdgs.jpg

77Fdgs.jpg
X4 =
1bwSB.jpg

But there's a twist. These guys get in the way:
pQzYSs.jpg
HP7Jis.jpg

The bears move around the board and try and disrupt things. The Ninja bears jump around the map and have a knack for blocking a space you need to complete something.

You get rid of the bears two ways. One is to surround them with other stuff so that they can't move. Doing that kills them and creates a grave stone. You can also use one of these:

FIVbI.jpg
A bot kills a bear right where it stands.

There's also a match 3 game with the bear graves so you have two games match 3 games going on at once.

pIjHos.jpg
X3 =
wtjres.jpg

wtjres.jpg
X3 =
2vI80s.jpg

2vI80s.jpg
X3 =
TyYJV.png

Treasure chests give you goodies. Sometimes coins, you can use to buy items to give you that match you need, sometimes other items.

Other Stuff:

LBnZS.jpg

Crystals are your best friend. They are a wild card so you can use them to help complete your matches.

PDNJ9.png
rcFOgs.jpg

Rocks are kind of dead space. most maps usually start with a few and you will create a rock if you use a diamond on a square that won't give you a triple match of anything. You can get rid of Rocks with a Bot, but you want to match them as well.

PDNJ9.png
X3 =
rcFOgs.jpg

rcFOgs.jpg
X3 =
Otk7os.jpg

A big treasure chest gives you twice the goodies a regular chest gives you. You can also use a bot on a big rock to create a small treasure chest.

Where can I get it?

Triple Town is Free to play and available on Android, iOS, Google+ and Facebook. There's also a version for Amazon Kindle.

The Android and iOS games have an unlimited turns purchase option while the others give you a limited number of turns(you start with 1000 or so I forget then after that you cap out at 150 turns banked and it takes about two hours for those 150 turns to regenerate). You can buy extra turns for coins that you earn by playing the game or you can buy some with real cash.

Anyone else playing this game? Have any tips or tricks to playing? This is the best town I've been able to get so far:
sILKk.jpg

About 6 days worth of playing when into that.

Hope I'm not forgetting anything. I'll update this post if I am.

epmode

The Android and iOS games have an unlimited turns purchase option while the others give you a limited number of turns(you start with 1000 or so I forget then after that you cap out at 150 turns banked and it takes about two hours for those 150 turns to regenerate). You can buy extra turns for coins that you earn by playing the game or you can buy some with real cash.
Pass.

Looks neat otherwise.

edit: Wait, I'm confused. Are there unlimited turns or not?
edit edit: $4 for unlimited turns on iOS. Complaint rescinded!

I love the mechanics of this, but unfortunately as with anything, the IAPs unbalance it to the point of shitness.

Not so much the unlimited turns one, but you can buy items with coins to use in the current game and so when you start a game with 10,000 coins in the bank, you're in a better position than if you started with 0 coins in the bank. This potentially means lots of pointless games as you save up coins and then one good one where you blow them all. It's not a level playing field game to game. If every game started with X amount of coins and you could only spend what you earned in that game it would be perfect. As it is, it's broken, and it's monetisation's fault.

This game has been really popular in the game dev community for a few months now, especially among Facebook developers. It's one of the few gems on Facebook. Just a fantastic Match 3 game.

krae_man

I love the mechanics of this, but unfortunately as with anything, the IAPs unbalance it to the point of shitness.

Not so much the unlimited turns one, but you can buy items with coins to use in the current game and so when you start a game with 10,000 coins in the bank, you're in a better position than if you started with 0 coins in the bank. This potentially means lots of pointless games as you save up coins and then one good one where you blow them all. It's not a level playing field game to game. If every game started with X amount of coins and you could only spend what you earned in that game it would be perfect. As it is, it's broken, and it's monetisation's fault.

I don't mind grinding. You're not going to get better if you don't play rounds without using the store.

It takes 2 hours to regenerate your 150 turns, but about how long to use them up? My guess is about 10-15 mins, tops?

It does sound pretty cool though. May snag on my phone later

zroid

Banned
I played this game on Google+ and was totally hooked. But then I ran out of turns and because the freemium model was awful I haven't gone back to it. Don't have a mobile device that supports the game, unfortunately, so I guess that was the end of that.

Very addicting game. Also, I seem to recall it showing up in the Steam registry.

If this happens, I will be all over it

Zia

Just not feeling it. Boring stuff.

It's very, very deep. Hence, the IAP don't really imbalance the game as people seem to think. If you're not thinking thirty moves ahead there's a very mediocre plateau in store for you, no matter how many turns or coins you have at your disposal.

Cool thread, by the way!

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
It's very, very deep. Hence, the IAP don't really imbalance the game as people seem to think. If you're not thinking thirty moves ahead there's a very mediocre plateau in store for you, no matter how many turns or coins you have at your disposal.

I'm not accusing it of being shallow, and IAPs don't bother me. I just wasn't having fun.

krae_man

I played this game on Google+ and was totally hooked. But then I ran out of turns and because the freemium model was awful I haven't gone back to it. Don't have a mobile device that supports the game, unfortunately, so I guess that was the end of that.

I have two games on the Go. One on Google+ an one on Facebook. Triple Town is the only thing I use my Google Plus account for.

xir

Likely to be eaten by a grue
Love love love this game, but I feel like I plateaued early one, around the 200K mark. I've gotten floaty castles twice (and giddily buying a crystal to do that) for a higher score, but I don't seem to actually get any better... frustrating but still fun.

Tobor

I've been playing this on iphone and iPad for months. I haven't been this hooked on a puzzle game since Drop7.

krae_man

Oh I know how to make it...I was just never able to match 3 castles lol. Damn Ninja Bears.

Play one of the levels with no bears. The map is 1/2 the size so you need to be very carefull where you put everything but you have one less thing to worry about.

zroid

Banned
Apparently the best score I got before running out of turns -- I think it was my second non-tutorial town -- was 378k. I managed to get one floating castle, but that was about it!

You can't think 30 moves ahead because the spawns are random. Obviously there are better ways to play it than others and you can plan out and hope for things to turn up, but ultimately you have to hope the right thing turns up

Sloane

Banned
Best game on Facebook, especially since they got rid of the bears. Would buy unlimited turns, if I could.

My record so far: 1.675.680 Points.

Zia

You can't think 30 moves ahead because the spawns are random. Obviously there are better ways to play it than others and you can plan out and hope for things to turn up, but ultimately you have to hope the right thing turns up

Okay... a lose idea of where you need to be in thirty moves? I've never seen anyone break one million without some serious foresight.

krae_man

The Google Plus version gifted me 50 diamonds for some reason. I have enough coins to buy one of everything as well. Looking forward to this run.

dLMN8R

I've been playing this game for a while. Absolutely love it.

The free-to-play mechanic is basically perfect IMO. You can play for a really long time without paying a dime, as an extended demo of sorts. Want to keep playing past the demo? Pay a few bucks for the "full game", or just wait a little bit to play some more.

bob page

Love it, but free turns run out way to fast on the iOS version. I'm sure if they just made it a $1 paid app, the devs would be millionaires by now.

Love it, but free turns run out way to fast on the iOS version. I'm sure if they just made it a $1 paid app, the devs would be millionaires by now.
There is an IAP purchase in the iOS version for $3.99 that unlocks unlimited turns. This is basically the "paid" version of the app. It has been well worth it for me.

bob page

There is an IAP purchase in the iOS version for $3.99 that unlocks unlimited turns. This is basically the "paid" version of the app. It has been well worth it for me.

Yeah, what I'm saying is that if it were $1, the game would probably be a lock on the App Store top 10 for a very long time. I know a lot of people who were turned off by the $4 price tag.

ZenaxPure

Went to download: "this game is not compatible with your iPod Touch". Bleh, I have a hard time believing this couldn't run on a 2nd gen touch, makes me annoyed devs choose to not support it. Need to get rid of this thing some day since I keep missing out on cool games like this butttt it does everything I need it to (outside of gaming!).

Guess I will check out the google+ version since the concept seems pretty cool.

EMBee99

all that he wants is another baby
Trying to break 1 million. Game just clicked for me and, boom, averaging 500k every game.

krae_man

Went to download: "this game is not compatible with your iPod Touch". Bleh, I have a hard time believing this couldn't run on a 2nd gen touch, makes me annoyed devs choose to not support it. Need to get rid of this thing some day since I keep missing out on cool games like this butttt it does everything I need it to (outside of gaming!).

Guess I will check out the google+ version since the concept seems pretty cool.

I had the exact same disappointment.

Oh no, I played a game on Facebook AND IT WAS FUN! :(

Are we still hardcore gamers?

krae_man

For whatever reason, I can't buy unlimited turns. The game can't seem to connect to the appropriate server.

You could try tweeting Spryfox @spryfox.

Anyway also saw this tweet:

@l3reak There will be a downloadable PC version at some point, and that version will offer unlimited moves. TY for playing #TripleTown!

I built up enough coins to have a run at a high score and I'm doing pretty good so far:
2QWOB.jpg

I'm hoping I can get a second triple castle in one of them this time and break 2 million.

krae_man

I can get one no problem now. I tried to get to the first one buying as little as possible. I used up most of my grass and bushes getting the first one but I still had all my diamonds and 5 trees. Those diamonds came in handy for the second one. They opened up some much needed space towards the end when I had a Two floating Castles, a Castle, Mansion and two houses lined up in the exact right spots but very little wiggle room to create other stuff on the side while I waited for Diamonds to show up.

krae_man

If anyone still cares, the game just updated again:

Fh3g6.png

-You get bonuses for matching 4 instead of 3. Usually Coins but sometimes other things. The bonus is bigger when what you match is bigger. Matching 4 grass seems to give you 2 coins, while matching 4 bushes nets you 5 coins for example.

-The store restocks now. I believe it does it every 500 turns. I'm not sure how much of each gets restocked because I haven't keept track before and after restocks. I pretty sure I only got Trees, Bushes and Grass however.

-Those other items like the logs, brick wall, the barrel etc? They are apparently for use in my "Capital City". I don't know what that is yet because I can't access it until my curent game is over.

Top Bottom