• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Truck spills 14 million bees

Status
Not open for further replies.

Makai

http://www.seattletimes.com/seattle...oad-of-bees-at-the-i-5-and-i-405-interchange/

A semitruck rolled early Friday, spilling a load of honeybees on the Interstate 5 median at the Interstate 405 interchange near Lynnwood. The driver of the truck was not injured in the crash, but two lanes of traffic were closed while authorities cleaned the wreck up.

As temperatures warmed and the bees became more agitated, firefighters sprayed a mixture of foam and water on the hives to kills some of the bees as television reporters swatted at swarms of the insects surrounding their cameras. Clumps of bee carcasses littered the interstate.

The truck held 458 hives holding at total of as many as 14 million bees, Leary said. The honeybees, headed from Sunnyside, Yakima County, for pollination at a blueberry farm in Lynden, Whatcom County, were worth $92,000, he said.

Jarrod38

9b9.gif

I drive over the bridge that goes above that area weekday mornings and looking down onto I-5 and 405 it was a freakin' mess this morning. There were containers all over the place and a backup going northbound as far as the eye could see.
Given the really bad decline in bee population over the last several years it's can't be good that many bees died and hives were destroyed.

Clydefrog

I can see the bees moving together as one giant superbee inside the truck. "roll LEFT! roll RIGHT!" and then the truck rolls over. FREEEEEEDOM!!

*buzzzzzzzz* as the superbee flies away

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom