• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump administration reviewing ways to make it easier to launch drone strikes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Piecake

In his final months in office, President Barack Obama sought to lock in a structure and set of rules governing targeted killings and drone strikes so that the in­cred­ibly lethal tool would not be abused by his successors.

In his first six weeks in office, President Trump, who has made destroying the Islamic State his top foreign policy priority, has pressed to roll back some of those checks.

The Trump administration is close to finishing a review that would make it easier for the Pentagon to launch counterterrorism strikes anywhere in the world by lowering the threshold on acceptable civilian casualties and scaling back other constraints imposed by the Obama administration, senior U.S. officials said.

But the senior Trump administration official said any new policy will acknowledge that any civilian casualties overseas work against U.S. counterterrorism policy goals. “ We want to have a wise, moral standard that allows us to maintain the consent of the governed in these countries,” the official said.

Obama imposed the restrictive rules because he was worried that future administrations might be seduced by the power of drones to destroy potential threats to the United States at a very low cost in both blood and taxpayer dollars anywhere in the world.

He also hoped that his policy would provide a check internationally as armed drones proliferate, to countries such as China or Iran.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...047d15a24e0_story.html?utm_term=.bbcc82d61fbd

This is an actual case of "Thanks Obama", it was after all Obama's administration that started using the drone strikes. I mean what was he expecting, that all his successors would always follow his own principles with the things?

theWB27

This is an actual case of "Thanks Obama", it was after all Obama's administration that started using the drone strikes. I mean what was he expecting, that all his successors would always follow his own principles with the things?

Is there anything wrong with holding following presidents to that?

@sangreal.... Crazy

Piecake

No it isnt.

Do you honestly believe that if Obama didn't use drone strikes that Trump would follow his precedent and not use drone strikes as well?

I mean, your exact argument would also back up that argument as well

geomon

Um, no. George W. Bush used drones, granted not as many as Obama did but then again, good ol' George preferred to use people to kill other people.

I mean it's really not that fucking hard right now.
Didn't Obama have to approve every drone strike? I would imagine Trump wants to let field commanders have more autonomy. Look what happened the last time they interrupted his dinner for a mission approval!

Even if Obama had never ordered a drone strike, do you think Trump would not?

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Obama imposed the restrictive rules because he was worried that future administrations might be seduced by the power of drones to destroy potential threats to the United States at a very low cost in both blood and taxpayer dollars anywhere in the world.
This seems a little ironic, considering the Obama administration's record on drone strikes.

But Hillary is a hawk!

Wouldn't that mean Obama also thought so, since he and the rest of the beltway thought that it was a shoe in for Clinton?

120v

Um, no. George W. Bush used drones, granted not as many as Obama did but then again, good ol' George preferred to use people to kill other people.

technically they started under clinton.

drones are really just more precise and advanced airstrikes. morality arguments aside it's essentially what we've been doing since WWI

Piecake

Wouldn't that mean Obama also thought so, since he and the rest of the beltway thought that it was a shoe in for Clinton?

Not necessarily considering that future administrations is a plural and includes all future administrations, not just the next one.

We're the bad guys

denthero.gif

Spladam

Nobody should be surprised, this is the same guy who said it should be acceptable to kill the families of terrorist.

akira28

I mean it's really not that fucking hard right now.

yeah but it isn't Trump Easy. He wants to be able to authorize strikes via text message while he's getting a mani\pedi in his Mar-a-Lago resort compound.

Especially since his last military action blew up in his face. He wants to be able to distance himself as much as possible, and drone strikes are the way to do it.

Acorn

yeah but it isn't Trump Easy. He wants to be able to authorize strikes via text message while he's getting a manipedi in his Mar-a-Lago resort compound.

Especially since his last military action blew up in his face. He wants to be able to distance himself as much as possible, and drone strikes are the way to do it.
Pfft text message. It'll be hashtags on Twitter.

Watch out Arnie

Ploid 3.0

Oh boy, if it wasn't bad enough, the thought of Trump ordering drone strikes is even more terrifying. Heck I wouldn't be surprised if we won't end up hitting allies or ourselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom