• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump Ban Leaves 12-Year-Old Girl Facing Return to War-Torn Yemen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beefy

The girl, whose parents are U.S. citizens, was barred from boarding a plane yesterday and is now in limbo in Djibouti.

Ahmed Ali spent Sunday at a hotel near Djibouti's International Airport, anxiously checking CNN on his phone to see if the Trump administration would allow him to fly to the United States with Eman, his 12-year-old daughter.

Ali, 39, is a U.S. citizen. But his daughter had been living with grandparents in Yemen while American authorities processed her visa application. After years of waiting, the U.S. embassy issued the precious piece of paper last Wednesday, and father and daughter were excitedly preparing Friday for the flight that would unite Eman with her mother and two sisters.

They got through security at the airport before an official informed them that people with a Yemeni passport, like Eman, were prohibited from traveling to the U.S. by the executive order President Donald Trump says is needed to keep the country safe from terrorism.

”I got shocked because I don't know what I have to do," Ali said in a telephone interview on Sunday. ”I can't take her back to Yemen. And I can't leave her here by herself — she is only 12 years old."

The Trump order, which bars citizens from Yemen and six other countries from entering the U.S. for 90 days, has left Eman in what amounts to a stateless limbo. She cannot join her American-citizen parents and family in the U.S. She has no roots or family in Djibouti.
https://www.propublica.org/article/trump-ban-leaves-12-year-old-girl-facing-return-to-war-torn-yemen

Update:

@JustinElliott

The 12 year old girl barred from getting to her parents' home in California by Trump ban just sued the president

BQuFe0R.jpg

https://twitter.com/JustinElliott/status/826259335311409153

Don't know what to say anymore...

So I didn't read somewhere that this ban had an age restriction?? No matter what age, if you are from one of the countries in the list, that's it, you ain't coming in?

Bear with me as I've been away from Trump threads and news in general for the last few days.

weekev

Banned
This won't be an unusual story. Everything he is doing is in breach of either the constitution or the Geneva Convention. Someone has to make a move for impeachment. I really hope it's just a case of deciding what to impeach him over and if they have enough evidence to take out the entire administration.

Neo C.

Those people need to be in public. It's important to make it obvious that we are dealing here with families and children, not numbers.

the whole world should know about each and every case like this, and im glad these are being reported.

America should feel deeply ashamed of itself and change direction ASAP. get rid of Trump and his tyrannical cronies. jail them.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
if media has the balls, they should ask about this in today's press briefing

If media has the balls, they should start to fucking report the HELL out of this and everything the orange fuck does, and never give his racist ass the sunny side of media again ever..

neorej

ERMYGERD!
You don't understand. We need to keep little girls out in order to fight terrorism. The number of little girls engaged in terrorism is just as high as the number of people from the list of banned countries who have comitted terrorism. These are undeniable facts.

Saya

Trumplets won't care about this. She is brown and muslim. So, to them an other. They could not care less.

540200dca06a61443c2956cf8579cd78.jpg

some would say that 12-year-old girls are too young to be terrorists but that just means that they would be least likely to be suspected! if i were a terrorist recruiter i would make recruiting 12-year-old girls a priority

i am grateful for the President for making america great again and for protecting us from 12-year-old girls

sirap

No child should be separated from their parents like this.

Still, you fucks (and by you I mean the gun-toting lunatics in America) barely give a damn about your own children. I hope this 12-year-old girl and her family gets reunited and has the chance to live somewhere safe without having to worry about racists or "lone-wolf" psychos shooting at them.

Xando

Fuck Trump.

I couldn't believe what i was hearing when Spicer said a 5 year old would pose a threat to national security.

iFirez

Wow, I just talked about this in the office and someone said "Well maybe they shouldn't have been born in a shitty country" and it wasn't said ironically at all. WHAT THE FUCK. Some people, grow some brain cells.

w3bba

In a similar vain:

5 year old detained at the airport because of the EO.

source:
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/donald-trumps-team-says-5-9725070

Luckily he was reunited with his family, but detaining a 5-year-old is just cruel. The child is even a US-Citizen and the Governor of Maryland (The boys home state) even informed the airport about the arrival, yet he was still treated like a threat.

but the best thing is the official statement of Sean Spicer: “To assume that just because of someone’s age and gender that they don’t pose a threat would be misguided and wrong.”

Wow, I just talked about this in the office and someone said "Well maybe they shouldn't have been born in a shitty country" and it wasn't said ironically at all. WHAT THE FUCK. Some people, grow some brain cells.

It's not about brain. It's about being shit.

In a similar vain:

source:

Luckily he was reunited with his family, but detaining a 5-year-old is just cruel. The child is even a US-Citizen and the Governor of Maryland (The boys home state) even informed the airport about the arrival, yet he was still treated like a threat.

but the best thing is the official statement of Sean Spicer: ”To assume that just because of someone's age and gender that they don't pose a threat would be misguided and wrong."

Eh, to be fair, it's not inaccurate. Who knows how many people a 5 year old kid could behead. What if he was hiding a bomb in his plush. Heck, you can't imagine how much damage these things can do:

Seriously though, I can't believe these are the people running the biggest country in the world.

In a similar vain:

source:

but the best thing is the official statement of Sean Spicer: “To assume that just because of someone’s age and gender that they don’t pose a threat would be misguided and wrong.”

fuck spicer

RinsFury

That orange fucking coward should have to look every single person in the eye and tell them they have to go back himself. Lets see how long this lasts when he doesn't have his goons doing his dirty work for him.

Lime

Remember who is supplying Saudi Arabia with weapons and tanks for the war in Yemen, and also who is responsible for years of drone strikes against the Yemen citizens.

Kaiterra

Banned
This was absolutely intentional, too. Spicer was just telling reporters yesterday about how it was justified to detain 5 year olds, after all.

Lmao. The President getting sued by a child barely a week into his tenure. That's got to be pissing him off.
if media has the balls, they should ask about this in today's press briefing
Why would the media start having balls on anything to do with Yemen?
Only the current government.
Oh please, ask the people of Iraq and Yemen if they think "only the current government" are the bad guys.

Shouldn't she be a US citizen by birth. Although perhaps her parents weren't citizens at her birth.
I'd recommend people read the article actually, it's an interesting little insight into our citizenship laws and it actually says the issue right in the article:
Eman’s mother is an American citizen by birth but spent most of her life in Yemen. When Eman was born in Yemen, her parents assumed — incorrectly — that she was an American citizen too. Complicated rules requiring five years of residency in the U.S. for the parent of a child born abroad meant that Eman did not automatically become a citizen at birth.
That's a load of horsecrap, but they played by the horsecrap rules and went to the trouble of securing a visa. Which was obviously turned down. As the article also states:
The particular irony of Eman’s situation is that “as soon as she entered the United States, she would be a lawful permanent resident and eligible for U.S. citizenship immediately,” said Lewis, who is with the firm Van Der Hout, Brigagliano & Nightingale in San Francisco. Eman has what is known as an immediate relative immigrant visa.
I'd laugh if it wasn't so goddamn sad.

slit

How long is it going to take to get the courts to rule on this? I know it's only been a couple of days but this is getting ridiculous.

Steel

Banned
It's only 90 days tho. I'm sure a 12 year old girl can just wait 90 days in Yemen all by herself, no big deal. /s

Fucking hell.

It'd actually be 5 years if she gets deported. She broke the "law" by coming in with an invalid visa, which automatically makes her waiting period 5 years.

How long is it going to take to get the courts to rule on this? I know it's only been a couple of days but this is getting ridiculous.
Courts take time. As people have pointed out, we want swift justice, but we also don't want the lawyers to rush into this and mess up their argument. We heard what happened with the judge issuing the stay, Trump's people were so unprepared that they never stood a chance against the judge. No one wants to see that happen to the good side here. And anyways even if things are ruled on, this will probably get appealed up all the way to the Supreme Court.

Trumplets won't care about this. She is brown and muslim. So, to them an other. They could not care less.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/564x/54/02/00/540200dca06a61443c2956cf8579cd78.jpg[img][/QUOTE]
I'm pretty sure they don't care about brown people period.

slit

Courts take time. As people have pointed out, we want swift justice, but we also don't want the lawyers to rush into this and mess up their argument. We heard what happened with the judge issuing the stay, Trump's people were so unprepared that they never stood a chance against the judge. No one wants to see that happen to the good side here. And anyways even if things are ruled on, this will probably get appealed up all the way to the Supreme Court.

I know it takes time but people are suffering in the meantime and if the courts rule they could inevitably freeze the order until getting to SCOTUS.

grimmiq

540200dca06a61443c2956cf8579cd78.jpg

Don't worry, that 12 year old girl all alone in a Warzone will likely end up a child bride and pregnant by the time she's 13, then Trumplets will care about her
unborn baby

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom