• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump changes course again, says health-care repeal must happen before tax overhaul

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tripon

President Trump and a top adviser on Wednesday pushed back plans to overhaul the tax code, saying they wanted to prioritize first a renewed effort to repeal the Affordable Care Act.

The comments from Trump and Office of Management and Budget Director Mick Mulvaney mark a sharp reversal from the administration’s approach just a few weeks ago. After they were dealt a stinging defeat when conservative Republicans refused to vote for a GOP health-care plan, Trump angrily said he was pivoting to tax reform and has been peppering his top economic adviser, Gary Cohn, for details of their tax timeline ever since.

Cohn and his team — as well as top officials at the Treasury Department — have been hard at work trying to put together a tax overhaul blueprint that they believe would lower rates and create more jobs. But Trump — in an interview with Fox Business that aired Wednesday — said the tax effort would now have to wait.

“Health care is going to happen at some point,” Trump said. “Now, if it doesn't happen fast enough, I'll start the taxes. But the tax reform and the tax cuts are better if I can do health care first.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...-1144am:homepage/story&utm_term=.74bd7ba5edc1

I guess somebody told him that he couldn't get the tax cuts he wanted unless health care was gutted.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
Good-Luck-gif-fresh.gif

Haha, I guess word finally got to him that there was no way to do tax cuts without the funding from killing health care. Enjoy death everyone so rich guys don't have to pay the taxes they were already mostly avoiding!

Edit: Wait, isn't there only three days left for them to do all of this without needing help from the Dems? LOL!

BitStyle

Unconfirmed Member
He's flailing and doesn't know what the fuck he's doing. Already gave up on taxes because he knew he wasn't going to be able to pass shit

L

Haha, I guess word finally got to him that there was no way to do tax cuts without the funding from killing health care. Enjoy death everyone so rich guys don't have to pay the taxes they were already mostly avoiding!

Good luck to him getting anything like this through with zero political capitol.

Dupy

"it is in giving that we receive"
I mean even I knew the repeal had to happen to get his tax changes through. Incompetent.

gcubed

So now officially Trump will accomplish nothing legislatively. I guess it could be worse...

expect a major pullback this year in the market if this is how he tries to play it out

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
At least he's really fucking incompetent.

They are going to fail to pass a budget with both houses and the presidency aren't they?

Eusis

JaZX9.gif

Four years of this shit...
If I could time travel I'd print up everything I could about the results of this election and why Hillary lost and shove it in their faces in 2015. We'd hopefully be avoiding this pathetic shitshow then.

So he's holding the Fiscally Conservative GoPers hostage until they vote on his shitty Healthcare replacement plan.

This is B-E-A-UTIFUL!

/popcorn

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
I feel he will pass the healthcare bill but the irony is that the bill that will be passed will be much worse than the bill that couldn't reach a vote

They don't have the votes in the Senate if anyone loses coverage. They don't have the votes in the house if they do.

After last night's special election anyone in a swingy district is gonna be double scared.

mernst23

But, tax cuts create revenue. Wait, i'm confused, do they not now? Someone get grover on the line, we need some 7th grade analysis about this.

HotHamBoy

I feel he will pass the healthcare bill but the irony is that the bill that will be passed will be much worse than the bill that couldn't reach a vote

He won't pass the bill because half the people will vote against it if it gets better just as half will vote against it if it gets worse.

They don't have the votes in the Senate if anyone loses coverage. They don't have the votes in the house if they do.

After last night's special election anyone in a swingy district is gonna be double scared.

If he gets the freedom caucus on board it will be on the political heads of the republicans to face the public humiliation of stopping the repeal of the evil Obamacare (according to the republican voters they depend). They have the power to ratify it, all the pressure will shift to the republican senators, they won't vote no.

If I could time travel I'd print up everything I could about the results of this election and why Hillary lost and shove it in their faces in 2015. We'd hopefully be avoiding this pathetic shitshow then.

They probably still wouldn't believe you.

If he gets the freedom caucus on board it will be on the political heads of the republicans to face the public humiliation of stopping the repeal of the evil Obamacare (according to the republican voters they depend). They have the power to ratify it, all the pressure will shift to the republican senators, they won't vote no.

This will be after reconciliation though and he'd need Democrats for 60. Good fucking luck with that one.

Also, if they miss this year, there's no WAY they vote for this thing right before mid-terms especially with folks jittery at the special election results.

At least he's really fucking incompetent.

They are going to fail to pass a budget with both houses and the presidency aren't they?

Well Congress comes back from recess on April 25th and they need to pass a government funding bill by the 29th.

They aren't going to get it done in time for budget reconciliation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom