• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump loses PGA tournament to Mexico course: "hope they have kidnapping insurance"

Status
Not open for further replies.

DOWN

Banned
His Trump Doral course in Miami had hosted one of the major PGA tournaments for years but after Cadillac pulled out, PGA had a hard time finding anyone to sponsor the Trump hosted event. So Mexico stepped in to take the reigns from Trump.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/trumped-...ico-city-152312722--spt.html?.gg_forward=true
DUBLIN, Ohio (AP) — Donald Trump is losing business to Mexico — a prestigious golf tournament at his resort at Doral.

The PGA Tour announced Wednesday that a World Golf Championship, which attracts the best players in the world and has been at Trump-owned Doral in South Florida since 2007, is relocating to Mexico City next year.

The decision incensed Trump, who suggested Tuesday night in a Fox News interview with Sean Hannity, "I hope they have kidnapping insurance."

Cadillac did not renew its title sponsorship of the event, and PGA Tour Commissioner Tim Finchem said another sponsor that wanted to be at Doral could not be found. The tour signed a seven-year deal with Grupo Salinas, a group of Mexico City companies overseen by chairman Ricardo Salinas.

That means Doral, the longest-running PGA Tour event in Florida dating to 1962, will not have a tournament next year.

Trump, the presumptive Republican presidential nominee, called it a "sad day for Miami, the United States and the game of golf" to leave Doral after 54 years for Mexico.

"No different than Nabisco, Carrier and so many other American companies, the PGA Tour has put profit ahead of thousands of American jobs, millions of dollars in revenue for local communities and charities, and the enjoyment of hundreds of thousands of fans who make the tournament an annual tradition," Trump said. "This decision only further embodies the very reason I am running for president of the United States."

Trump also addressed the topic at a rally in Sacramento, California

"They moved the World Golf Championships from Miami to Mexico City. Can you believe it? Can you believe it?" Trump told the crowd. "Not good. But that's OK. Folks, it's all going to be settled. You vote for Donald Trump as president, if I become your president, this stuff is all going to stop."

Finchem said the move had nothing to do with politics, only finances.

"As we anticipated, some of the reaction revolves around the feeling that somehow this is a political exercise, and it is not that in any way, shape or form," he said. "It is fundamentally a sponsorship issue. We are a conservative organization. We value dollars for our players. We have a strong sense of fiduciary responsibility. So we make decisions that are in the best interests of our players, short term and long term."
The irony he is missing is that his comments on Mexico are likely a direct factor in why the PGA couldn't get a new sponsor and thus had to move to Mexico.

Par for the course with Trump.

giphy.gif

In any other election if any presidential nominee would say "I hope they have kidnapping insurance" when talking about their neighboring country would be political suicide.

Not for Trump, though.

As a Mexico denizen I'm truly scared for a Drumpf presidency and its implications to my country.

Arkeband

Banned
So the PGA Tour made a free market decision, and Trump declares when he's president, these kinds of things will stop?

Sblargh

Banned
Exactly my thought. The stars keep aligning themselves perfectly for him to keep screaming "victim".

When you are delusional speaking to other delusional people, the stars don't need to align.
All you need to do to play victim is to screw up and Trump fails like a champion.

giga

The mental gymnastics trump supporters have to go through to say he's not racist has gotta rival some of the diff eq homework assignments I had to do in college.

Who would have thought that his words would have consequences? Damn PC police!

I thought the thread title meant Trump participated in the tournament and lost, until I thought about it for more than two seconds.

It makes since for Cadillac to pull out because by sponsoring the event, they indirectly help fund Trump's presidential campaign and perhaps they didn't want to deal with the perception.

BriGuy

So the PGA Tour made a free market decision, and Trump declares when he's president, these kinds of things will stop?
He's a fascist. Make no mistake, a Trump presidency will center around enriching him and his inner circle first and foremost, and then move on to settling personal scores. It's an open secret at this point and people will still come out in droves to vote for him.

In 2008 you had Barack Obama, an incredibly popular and charismatic individual running for the Democrats, you had an incumbent Republican president with record disapproval ratings and the stench of his administration infecting the entire GOP by association, a man who was so toxic he didn't even make an appearance at their own convention. You had total economic collapse, the war in Iraq, Katrina fresh on voters minds. And to top it all off you had Sarah Palin (who was just as offensive as Trump) on the Republican ticket.

John McCain still got 46% of the vote.

Trump is clearing 45% easily. I see him performing about as well as Romney, except maybe losing NC.

lord

Ricardo Salinas and Trump should fight to the death to see who gets it, and whoever wins you shoot him in the head. Both of them are remarkable pieces of shit.

"joke" stolen from Carlin

GuyKazama

In any other election if any presidential nominee would say "I hope they have kidnapping insurance" when talking about their neighboring country would be political suicide.

Not for Trump, though.

As a Mexico denizen I'm truly scared for a Drumpf presidency and its implications to my country.

Is Trump wrong to say that kidnapping is a major problem in Mexico? Googling "mexico kidnap" gives me headlines of a kidnapped soccer player and stats that there are 100k kidnappings a year.

massoluk

Banned
That means Doral, the longest-running PGA Tour event in Florida dating to 1962, will not have a tournament next year.

In a way, this is pretty sad. One would think an American company would pick up the tab regardless of how toxic Trump name is now to keep the game in US.

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children
Mexico is the kidnapping capital of the world though. Look up "worst kidnapping rate," and Mexico is at the top of all of the lists.

It's slightly tasteless, but really I've heard similar things said about the USA on Gaf.

Hard to feel the outrage on this one for me.

hie

In 2008 you had Barack Obama, an incredibly popular and charismatic individual running for the Democrats, you had an incumbent Republican president with record disapproval ratings and the stench of his administration infecting the entire GOP by association, a man who was so toxic he didn't even make an appearance at their own convention. You had total economic collapse, the war in Iraq, Katrina fresh on voters minds. And to top it all off you had Sarah Palin (who was just as offensive as Trump) on the Republican ticket.

Trump is clearing 45% easily. I see him performing about as well as Romney, except maybe losing NC.

McCain had much support from military folk.

Trump will also lose AZ.

RPGCrazied

I'm really tired of hearing every time Trump says something stupid or offensive some people just say this will only help him, he is teflon don after all. The GOP primary is over. This shit isn't going to fly in the GE.

Get over it.

Sad, because the Blue Monster at Doral is actually a pretty good course and most of the WGC events held there over the years have been entertaining.

Still, anything to stop Trump, I'm A-OK with.

Alebrije

Nobody winds , the guy in Mexico that got the PGA is a corrupted Lord well known for its dirt tv bussiness and retail stores.

Karkador

Banned
South Florida is not exactly lacking in potential sponsorships and investment. The fact that this event (one of the biggest deals in South Florida) fell through is the real story - the jab about kidnapping in Mexico is a deflection, and whether it's true or not is irrelevant.

What happened to Trump's ability to "make deals" and keep business here? Especially when the alternative is purportedly so dangerous?

Alebrije

South Florida is not exactly lacking in potential sponsorships and investment. The fact that this event (one of the biggest deals in South Florida) fell through is the real story - the jab about kidnapping in Mexico is a deflection, and whether it's true or not is irrelevant.

What happened to Trump's ability to "make deals" and keep business here? Especially when the alternative is purportedly so dangerous?

Indeed, how can you force Mexico to built a wall if you can not even keep a PGA tournament

hawk2025

Trump can't even keep golf course deals. Even his reaction proves he needs chickenshit protectionism to "win" in the future.

Sad!

norm9

When I took a taxi in Mexico at 4 in the morning, the guy didn't turn on the meter (I didn't realize they're not allowed to turn them on so early) and I had a sinking feeling I was going to get kidnapped and murdered. Didn't happen but I was worried for a second.

Mexico is the king of kidnapping so what he's saying isn't wrong.

Let's not take it that far. Sarah Palin was painted like an ignorant bimbo, made a few gaffes and showed some hipocrisy when her family was under the spotlight, but she's is far from being the authoritarian racist despot that Trump is.

If it ever came down between Palin and Trump, the world would be safer with the former.

McCain was as respectable an oponent as the GOP allowed him to be.

Its hilarious that a presidential nominee can say outright racist shit like "I hope they have kidnapping insurance." and there is no uproar about it.

GG USA.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

McCain wasn't a nutcase, he was supposed to be the reasonable one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom