• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump may reverse decision on climate accord, France's Macron says: JDD

Opto

Banned
World, please stop engaging with trump. Just use back channels and wait for him to get kicked out of office.

ybG5Au3UhHv4k.gif

Zabka

Trump's a conflict-avoiding chickenshit who tells people whatever they want to hear in person then runs back to DC where Bannon re-engages his tentaprobes to reset him back to default.

backing out of the Paris Accrd is like giving up the energy market to Europe and China.

a dumb ass move by a 70 year old who is 3 generations past his expiry date

kirblar

Reports were that Macron was trying to see if he could manipulate Trump by playing into his obvious narcissism.

We'll see if it works.

I feel like once he realizes the TRUMP brand will be completely dead. He will try and turn and act like he is some progressive just to be popular.

Dude is all about his image.

And doesn't give a fuck about anything else

Zolo

Trump has said the Paris accord is soft on leading polluters like China and India, putting U.S. industry at risk.
So he wants more regulations.

I feel like once he realizes the TRUMP brand will be completely dead. He will try and turn and act like he is some progressive just to be popular.

Dude is all about his image.

And doesn't give a fuck about anything else
He'll likely be dead before that. The rest of his family is screwed though.

Slime

Banned
Trump is just paying lip service to Macron because he's wealthy, attractive and popular and he wants to be liked by him. He'll go back to fucking over the planet as soon as he gets back into his usual circle of rich climate-denying yes-men.

Monocle

If anyone can flip flop on a massive issue without consequences, it's Trump. He should flip to the correct side for a change.

Lo-Volt

Please talk about this. Not Russia.

We can multitask, I think. We can talk about both.

Anyway, if Macron thinks Trump could be persuaded, then it would likely require a weakening of the accord. The president would probably be warned off of just putting his name back on it with no edits by his backers at home. Is it worth doing that to get America back in?

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
At this point, I don't want America's interest (see oil companies lobbyists' interests) to be reflected in the future versions of Paris Accords, but rather that they have to accept more demanding goals from countries that actually give a shit and do stuff against climate change.

After all, oil companies didn't want Trump to pull back from the accords. And there's a reason for that. (not saying I don't want them to ever join again, but rather that I don't want that to happen under a GOP administration with a GOP controlled Congress)

There's no reason to think he's actually going to change his position, especially given that his entire inner circle outside of (maybe) Kushner and Ivanka are happy with his decision

We should get other countries to lie about Trump just as much as he lies about himself. Take it to it's logical extreme. Fight fire with fire.

Wensih

Trump just wanted to shut him up. It's not like Trump being a shitty lair is a secret, but come on I expect better from Macron.

It's not like Macron is just gonna come out and call out his bullshit. He wasn't duped. Despite US politics and the president's stream of consciousness lack of filters, there is still some semblance of diplomacy from other nations. Their discussion is now out in the open. If Trump reneges which everyone assumes he will do, then it just highlights more of his bullshit.

Trump legit thinks the Paris Accords are literally about Paris, doesn't he?

Guy wouldn't accept the Revolutionary War being won unless he was there.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Looks like, if anything, Macron's strategy of challenging Trump rather than appeasing him (May) is the correct way of dealing with him. He's a schoolyard bully after all.

gdt

He's just saying what Macron wants to hear. When he's back in the states he'll start pandering to the base again.

'Who knew climate change was so complicated?'

Let's see if Macron rolling out the red carpet for this loser actually gains us anything.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
Trump going all out to find and eliminate every speck of credibility he may have had left, lol

but it's for the planet, so as long as they force him to do the correct thing..

Top Bottom