• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Turkey apologizes to Russia for downing of fighter jet near Syrian-Turkish border

Status
Not open for further replies.
This was a big issue back in November where Turkey refused to apologize for shooting down that jet fighter near the Syrian-Turkish border.
MOSCOW — Turkey’s president has apologized to Moscow for the downing of a Russian military jet at the Syrian border, Russian and Turkish officials said Monday, a move that could open the way for easing a bitter strain in Russia-Turkey ties.

Recep Tayyip Erdogan’s move comes seven months after the incident, which has drawn a slew of Russian sanctions that have dealt a severe blow to the Turkish economy. The formal apology, which the Kremlin had requested, would likely allow relations to improve.

Erdogan, in his message, expressed “sympathy and deep condolences” to the family of the killed pilot and apologized, Russian President Vladimir Putin’s spokesman Dmitry Peskov told reporters.

Erdogan spokesman, Ibrahim Kalin, said, according to Turkey’s state-run Anadolu news agency, that the Turkish leader expressed his deep regret over the downing of the Russian plane: “In the letter, the president stated that he would like to inform the family of the deceased Russian pilot that I share their pain and to offer my condolences to them. May they excuse us.”
https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...7f8b4a-3c69-11e6-9e16-4cf01a41decb_story.html

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
Legitimately surprised by this, Erdogan doesn't seem the apologizing kind, but I guess the squeeze felt by Russian sanctions was too much to bear.

I see Turkey is trying to make up with' friends' recently.

First Israel, now Russia. Guess those Russian sanctions have had an effect.

Apathy

The image of Erdogan having to swallow his pride and having to apologize is bittersweet knowing that this is the first step to having Russia stopping the sanctions and giving support back to that idiot.

Russia and Turkey can never be true allies. Russia still covets Turkish territory. They'll never leave NATO

Well, I get this and agree. Only caveat I would add is that Russia covets turkish territory in the same way USA covets Canadian territory (Or at least used to when NORAD was set up). The alliance between Canada and USA gives the USA the same kind of tactical advantage as controlling it themselves.

Now, Again, I'm with you that this will likely never happen. I was just explaining why, hypothetically, this is "bad" for the west.

Whats up with Erdogan being all friendly and shit all of a sudden.

With Israel and now Russia too.

Interesting.
I guess Erdogan is finally coming to grips that it is not necessarily in his best interest to continuously antagonize the outside world.

Or maybe he's just looking to warm up relations outside of Europe, considering the recent row with Germany and uncertainty facing the EU in the aftermath of brexit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom