• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TYPE-MOON Community thread| Now we can discussing Mollusk, Pudding freely and Dolphin

fertygo

this thread meant to as a place to discussing any of TYPE-MOON property including the currently airing animated adaptation as free spoiler/spoiling territory, but for the time being maybe more experienced poster should be more mindful, until the OT for the currently airing anime opened again lol.

Type-Moon (タイプムーン, Taipu Mūn?) is a prominent Japanese game company, best known for their visual novels. It is also known under the name Notes (ノーツ, Nōtsu?). After creating the popular visual novel Tsukihime as a doujin soft organization, Type-Moon has since incorporated and produced the immensely popular visual novel Fate/stay night. Both of their works have been adapted into anime and manga series that have amassed a global fanbase.

Most Known work.
i8AX6anDR7u9V.jpg

Tsukihime

Tsukihime chronicles the story and life of a teenage boy named Shiki Tohno. As a young boy, Shiki suffered a life-threatening injury. As a result of this injury, Shiki became able to see "death lines" on objects and people; if Shiki traces these lines with a sharp object, the person or object that they belong to will die or be destroyed. Soon after discovering this power, he is given a special pair of glasses by a mysterious woman. While wearing these glasses, Shiki cannot see the lines, and can thus live life as normal. Later, Shiki discovers that he can also see "points" on objects and people; these act as more immediate and powerful versions of the "lines." Eventually, it is revealed that Shiki is not merely killing a person or destroying an object when he cuts its lines or pokes out its points, but is instead removing the meaning of his victim's existence.

The game plot begins during Shiki's high school days. After years away from the Tohno household, which he was banished from after his injury, he moves back home following the death of the head of the Tohno family, Shiki's father. Shiki's sister, Akiha, assumes the responsibility of being the new head, and decides to let Shiki come back. As the story progresses, Shiki gradually discovers his mysterious past, and becomes implicated into strange adventures.
ibdtD8jQVnUzpr.jpg

Melty Blood
Melty Blood (メルティブラッド, Meruti Buraddo?) is a 2D fighting game, developed by TYPE-MOON and French-Bread (known as Watanabe Seisakujo prior to 2003), and is a spin-off to Tsukihime. It was featured at the international fighting game tournament Tougeki [1] in 2006 and 2007.

Melty Blood was originally released in December 2002 on the PC, with an expansion patch, Re-ACT, being released two years later in May 2004, and ReACT Final Tuned, released in July 2005[2]. An arcade and Playstation 2 port, Melty Blood: Act Cadenza, has also been released. This arcade and Playstation 2 version then had its PC version released in July 27, 2007 with the title Melty Blood: Act Cadenza ver.B
iYrJiaxgYlvl8.jpg

Fate/stay night

Fate/stay night (フェイト/ステイナイト, Feito/sutei naito?) is a Japanese eroge visual novel game created by TYPE-MOON, which was originally released on January 30, 2004. It is TYPE-MOON's first commercial work, following its transition from a doujin soft visual novel group. Also already releasing various spin-off.

Plot:

Fate/stay night takes place in 2004, and its beginning happens at around the same time as the events of Tsukihime end.[1][2] Fuyuki City is the setting for a secret and violent war among competing magi. For the past two centuries, seven magi were gathered and engage in a Battle Royale, each gambling his or her own life to obtain the Holy Grail, a legendary chalice capable of granting wishes. The past four Holy Grail Wars have typically occurred every sixty years, with the most recent concluding a decade ago, but the fifth war has eerily started prematurely.

Each magus, better known as Masters, are aided by one of the seven summoned spiritual familiars known as Servants, who are the reincarnations of legendary souls from all across time. These resurrected Heroic Spirits (英霊, Eirei?), possess superhuman characteristics and wield powerful artifacts or abilities called Noble Phantasms (宝具, Hōgu?). A Noble Phantasm's hidden abilities may be released by invoking its true name, but casual brandishing of a Noble Phantasm is best avoided, for symbolic Noble Phantasms usually belie a Servant's identity, diminishing that Servant's competitive advantage. Specific legends may be summoned with the aid of catalysts, which are artifacts, ideas, or experiences similar or of value to the desired Servant. Only one Servant can be summoned in each war from one of seven classes: Saber, Archer, Lancer, Berserker, Rider, Assassin, and Caster.
230px-Kyoukai01.jpg

Kara no Kyoukai
Kara no Kyoukai (空の境界, ?) is one of TYPE-MOON's earliest works authored by Nasu Kinoko and illustrated by Takeuchi Takashi. It is also known under the name Rakkyo (らっきょ, ?), and its tagline is the Garden of sinners.

The series is regarded as being set in an alternate parallel universe to TYPE-MOON's other series, Tsukihime and Fate/stay night, which make references to Kara no Kyoukai. The protagonist of the series, Shiki Ryougi, possesses the same abilities as Tsukihime's protagonist, Shiki Tohno, and Aoko Aozaki's sister Touko Aozaki is a major character. In Fate/stay night,

Plot:
Mikiya Kokutou becomes intrigued by the mysterious series of violent deaths occurring in his town and Shiki Ryougi, a beautiful but unsociable girl. As he tries to become closer to Shiki, he realizes that Shiki is connected to the mysterious deaths and that the supernatural forces involved with both could kill him. It is revealed that in Shiki's family, certain members of her family possess two distinct personalities, both aware and conscious of one another, but possessing different qualities. The dual consciousness, and Shiki's upbringing as a demon hunter, has caused her to reject other human beings.

However, upon meeting Mikiya, she gradually finds happiness through their relationship and a schism develops between her two personalities. As a result, she winds up in a traffic accident and is left in a coma for two years. When she awakens, she finds herself unable to connect her past memories to her current identity. Reunited with Mikiya, now employed as an investigator for Touko Aozaki, Shiki assists Touko's detective agency, Garan no Dou, whenever combat is required, while struggling to come to terms with her identity.

Anime adaptation:

TYPE-MOON's work and its spinoff has been adapted into anime adaptation that at this point more popular than their Visual Novel work for fans at outside of Japan, here's the list of notable ones.
ibmq1X3QZqGLoj.jpg

Fate/Stay Night by DEEN (2006)
On 2006, Studio DEEN adapted TYPE-MOON's most popular title into 24 episode anime adaptation, this adaptation made the title had more global recognition by public, despite the hardcore fans complaining about alteration that they deemed unnecessary. In 2010 Studio DEEN adapting another scenario from the game, Unlimited Blade Works into an movie.
ioCUbzRDu0oBA.jpg

Kara no Kyoukai movie series.
One of the earliest work from Kinoko Nasu, the founder and main writter from TYPE-MOON adapted into anime film series by Ufotable, that after this adaptation became fans favorite animation studio for TYPE-MOON related adaptation.

Fate/Zero
An prequel from Fate/stay night that originated from TYPE-MOON collaboration with NITROPLUS another popular VN Maker to writing prequel novel of stay/night, its adapted into anime TV series by Ufotable in 2011.
i0vMsFH1XHoWQ.jpg

Carnival Phantasm
Carnival Phantasm (カーニバル・ファンタズム Kānibaru Fantazumu?) is a comedy OVA series based on the Type-Moon gag manga, Take-Moon (テイク・ムーン Teiku Mūn?) by Eri Takenashi, the author of Kannagi: Crazy Shrine Maidens. The OVA series was created by Type-Moon to celebrate the company's 10th anniversary. The series focuses on funny and absurd situations happening to the various characters of the Type-Moon franchises, mostly from Fate/stay night and Tsukihime.
iQlUARw83oiCp.jpg

Fate/kaleid liner
Series
Fate/kaleid liner Prisma Illya (Fate/kaleid liner プリズマ☆イリヤ?) is a manga series by Hiroshi Hiroyama (also known as KALMIA), serialized in Kadokawa Shoten's Comp Ace magazine from 2007 to 2008. It is an alternate universe spin-off of the Fate/stay night visual novel by Type-Moon, with Illyasviel von Einzbern as the protagonist, where became Magical Girl in this incarnation. Various other characters from Fate/stay night and its sequels and spin-offs also appear.

The animation series already had 2 season and the the third one planned to air sometime in 2015
ibhfc9XJRfBint.jpg

Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works (2014)

Another adaptation of Fate/stay night that this time done by Ufotable following the heavy demand from the fans that wanted adaptation that more faithful to the visual novel than the adaptation that Studio Deen did. This time the story adapting scenario that actually already adapted into anime film in 2010 but rushed the story heavily due to limitation of the film length.

ie11GdaChmvPu.jpg

Fate/stay night: Heavens Feel
An planned movie series for adapting the third and last scenario from Fate/stay night, and with this all major scenario from the visual novel are adapted into animation media.

The movie planned to release sometime after Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works TV series finished airing.

fertygo

I am beyond angry you failed to put the Fate/Extra stuff in the OP.

I refuse to post until this is fixed!

CCC is not localized so I'm still salty, (-__-)
I'm refused to type something like "but the sequel hasn't come to the west" bring me pain.

Okay, later...

Extra is fine. I for one actually enjoyed the rock-paper-scissors battles system and the whole story of it overall.

At the very least it gave us another set of interesting Servants to drool over. Hating on Caster(fluffy tail) is not allowed.

Carnival Phantasm is best Type-Moon thing ever.

Where's Fate/Apocrypha? Sure, maybe 3 people here read it but it's totally going to be the next big thing.

Didn't ufotable make some statement about a certain number of sales of UBW guaranteeing a Fate/hollow ataraxia adaptation? Or was that more of a joke?

I would love to see Avenger animated though.

Khezu

With the lack of inner monologues, I can see a lot of people bitching about the next UBW episode.

Still should be fun.

fertygo

Extra detail in OP will come when I'm not lazy

And what Tsukihime anime?
Carnival Phantasm is best Type-Moon thing ever.

Where's Fate/Apocrypha? Sure, maybe 3 people here read it but it's totally going to be the next big thing.
I'm confused about this whole thing, isn't the iOS game automatically erase this thing?
Fate/Grande something
With the lack of inner monologues, I can see a lot of people bitching about the next UBW episode.

Still should be fun.
If I hear EMIYA playing, that's enough for me.
Didn't ufotable make some statement about a certain number of sales of UBW guaranteeing a Fate/hollow ataraxia adaptation? Or was that more of a joke?

Um, link?

I'm confused about this whole thing, isn't the iOS game automatically erase this thing?
Fate/Grande something

The upcoming mobile game is Fate/Grand Order which is a reboot of the original idea for Fate/Apocrypha which was originally developed as a MMO.

Fate/Apocrypha is now a light novel series which uses the characters from the original MMO idea, but I believe these two things are now two separate Fate projects.

Blusby

HA was just used as an example at a university seminar, I forget the topic exactly but the premise for the example was "If a series is financially successful the production of a sequel is nearly guaranteed". So don't expect anything lol

fertygo

The upcoming mobile game is Fate/Grand Order which is a reboot of the original idea for Fate/Apocrypha which was originally developed as a MMO.

Fate/Apocrypha is now a light novel series which uses the characters from the original MMO idea, but I believe these two things are now two separate Fate projects.
So, what reason they not chose Grand Order to promote as adaptation instead Apocarypha?
I'd figure the mobile game would take the priority.
HA was just used as an example at a university seminar, I forget the topic exactly but the premise for the example was "If a series is financially successful the production of a sequel is nearly guaranteed". So don't expect anything lol

This sounds cool, college taking anime as example?

fertygo

Please post some of your impression for today episode of UBW guys might helping the case to re-open the OT.. be mindful with spoiler for time being tho.

Khezu

I always enjoy Saber getting her shit kicked in.

Also Shirous projecting scene was great.

Blusby

Favorite episode yet though they really shouldn't have cut this:

"Master…!? No, Saber is hurt. You should be able to defeat her again!"

"She is not someone who would fall for it twice. It is I who underestimated her.
I should have attacked her one more time."

"The main point of a tactic is not to have a concrete shape.
Even though they are strong, Kuzuki's attacks are too odd, so they are easily seen through.
Therefore, they must be fatal on the first strike."

http://lparchive.org/Fatestay-night/Update 174/

I'm sad they missed that point too because its such an important point why Kuzuki was able to beat the stuffing out of Saber when they first fought.

Either way they handled the fight better than I was expecting and it was great to see Shirou finally use projection.

fertygo

I think they made up that omission of line with showing Saber rise up fast and looked undamaged, tbh its look less like asspull than original scenario.. I kinda like it.

What I not like though..

- Godammit still no EMIYA, I respect their will with not relying to the game's OST as cheap fanservice, but fuck I just want that one track remixed ;__;
- LOL
I'm not sure why they made Shirou seem capable following Kazuki's super speed, simple cross block will do and the one that made sense for that scene

Great eps though maybe for the first time the atmosphere showing presence in both action side and off-field side, and flashback teasing and brief infodump about Caster is great.

Jarmel

Banned
Fate/Stay Night UBW 10-

The animation in this episode was absolutely outstanding at times. However then other times, we get sequences like this:

What the fuck are you doing? This is clearly supposed to be a reaction shot so why is are they using a long distance camera position when the focus should be on Emiya's face. All we see is some basic body language from way too far away to be effective.

There are also shots like these:

Which is just nonsensical as they don't serve to do anything but distract the viewer. Why do I need to see the abandoned gas station during a conversation? This shot would have made more sense in the beginning to establish setting rather than during a critical conversation.

We also have the characters, mainly Shirou being a dumbass motherfucker. Tohsaka was trying to set up a strategy and Shirou doesn't give any fucks. I should also mention how mindbogglingly stupid it is that both Tohsaka and Shirou go back to school without backup after the previous incident.

Watching this after Fate/Zero really emphasizes for me that the teenagers don't belong in this setting or if they are used, they should be acting in a radically different manner compared to as displayed in the anime.

I think they made up that omission of line with showing Saber rise up fast and looked undamaged, tbh its look less like asspull than original scenario.. I kinda like it.

What I not like though..

- Godammit still no EMIYA, I respect their will with not relying to the game's OST as cheap fanservice, but fuck I just want that one track remixed ;__;
- LOL
I'm not sure why they made Shirou seem capable following Kazuki's super speed, simple cross block will do and the one that made sense for that scene

Great eps though maybe for the first time the atmosphere showing presence in both action side and off-field side, and flashback teasing and brief infodump about Caster is great.

I really only want to hear EMIYA being played in two scenes this entire route. I'm fine with tracks alluding to it but I adamantly oppose it being played outside of those scenes. I don't want it to lose impact before it really matters.

I noticed that people are thinking that Archer's flashback scene is about
his life, but I think it might actually be a representation of his experience as a Counter Guardian. It makes more sense that Archer is lamenting about how kings and other entitled individuals are treated the same as the powerless and the defenseless during his stint across history, rather than actually personally being executed by a king and impaled in the 21st century.

kewlmyc

Yeah, the lack of remixes is making me sad. Sad we had on Church on the Hill. That music was fantastic in the VN.

We better get EMIYA. We've has small tastes of it, but I want the full course dammit.

Most of the FSN OST was pretty terrible imho

The only stuff that matters are Realta Nua additions and/or tracks that haven't shown up in the route yet.

And yes, Church on the Hill is overrated.

The only stuff that matters are Realta Nua additions and/or tracks that haven't shown up in the route yet.

Personally, I've always felt Promised Sword of Victory was very overrated.

Trapped Thoughts is one that I hope to hear later on.

On other OST's though, I really did enjoy Kenji Kawai's Gilgamesh theme. Those first 20 or so seconds was basically "You're fucked" as Gil comes on screen.

fertygo

Agree.. but I just want that one track pls.. ;_;
I respect the hell out their liberty for all brand new music..

Btw so last eps is one hour? So in the end this season is about 15 eps.. god fucking damn it I always said that length is ideal for full adaptation of UBW.

The 2nd half better worth it and less felt stretched.

Khezu

Agree.. but I just want that one track pls.. ;_;
I respect the hell out their liberty for all brand new music..

Btw so last eps is one hour? So in the end this season is about 15 eps.. god fucking damn it I always said that length is ideal for full adaptation of UBW.

The 2nd half better worth it and less felt stretched.

If they end where I think they might end, there really isn't enough content left for a second season.

Gonna have to add in a bunch of new content.
Probably an episode dedicated to Archer becoming Archer

fertygo

If they end where I think they might end, there really isn't enough content left for a second season.

Gonna have to add in a bunch of new content.
Probably an episode dedicated to Archer becoming Archer
Yeah I"m quite disappointed they not fulfilling their promise fot adding new content so far instead we grt some stretched scene that disrupting pacing. I hooe that not the case in 2nd half.

For additional scene idea I hope they adding Gilgamesh scene from the end of LN of Fate/Zero that they left out in adaptation. . I can only hope though becauee sometime ufo editing left out these thing that made too much sense.

fertygo

Bet many people will say this episode boring again, but I like it.

Finally the off-field part where Shirou showing his tsun-tsun too, quite mad for most part they only focus that side of Rin and made it uneven, its more amusing like in VN where Shirou also adding the dose lol.

The conservation of Rin at 2nd half is abusing too many of same angle for me, but the one with Archer is well done especially with the interlude to ED as BGM.

fertygo

Who did Shirou, with his "always help others over oneself" mentality remind Rin of? Can't be Archer...

Well she does seeing his memory.. although I think what make her more pissed is that mentality clashing with her life so far that survive by just thinking only about herself.

Viridian6

Well she does seeing his memory.. although I think what make her more pissed is that mentality clashing with her life so far that survive by just thinking only about herself.

While Rin is (sensibly) looking out for herself, she does think of other people: Sakura, her duty as the family head etc. She's clearly not on the Shinji level of selfishness lol. Don't see why she's taking Shirou's extreme saviour attitude so personally.

Khezu

That's pretty much where I expected it to end. Cour 2 is going to be weird, gonna have to pad that shit out with a lot of new material.

Boundry field instead of the Emiya house is an interesting choice, the CG water looked pretty bad though.

fertygo

Dat fanservice song in the end.. based ufotable, so I assume that gonna be OP2

Man so hyped with the 2nd half, all the good thang is there.

Dugna

That ending, I know that I will probably enjoy the rest of the series when it's fully completed and I end up marathoning it but man...just this wait is going to kill me. New Fate/Stay anime is pretty flipping good.

fertygo

Yo, this episode have great amount of new content.. would that means we would really get Archer backstory episode?

aw yissssss

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
I can't create threads anymore. So instead of making a "LTTP: Shingetsutan Tsukihime", I'll drop by here that I enjoyed it quite a bit. Not the best thing I've ever seen but enjoyable nonetheless. 7/10 for me.

Tizoc

I'll keep an eye on this thread what with melty blood releasing soon
Kinda wanna get into the nasuverse, pref. through the good anime series if any @_@

Top Bottom