• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UAE seeks to build human settlement on Mars by 2117

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2017/...man-settlement-mars-2117-170214180519942.html
C4oa9RkUMAErEyb.jpg
The United Arab Emirates has unveiled a new project that aims to establish the first inhabitable human settlement on Mars by 2117.

The initiative called "Mars 2117 Project" was announced on Tuesday by Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum, the ruler of Dubai and vice president of the UAE, on the sidelines of the 5th World Government Summit, currently being held in the Emirate.
"The landing of people on other planets has been a longtime dream for humans. Our aim is that the UAE will spearhead international efforts to make this dream a reality," said Sheikh Mohammad.
He said that his country was one of the world's leaders in space science investments, adding that it aims to accelerate the research in this area.

"The new project is a seed that we plant today, and we expect future generations to reap the benefits, driven by its passion to learn to unveil a new knowledge," Sheikh Mohammed said.

According to a statement released by the Dubai government media office, the project is set to be developed and executed in partnership with major international scientific research institutions.

International team

The project will initially focus on preparing the human cadres able to achieve scientific breakthrough to facilitate the arrival of humans to the Red Planet over the next decades, the statement said.

It will start with an Emirati scientific team and will be extended to include international scientists and researchers, it added.

The project will focus on developing faster means of transportation from and to the Red Planet. It will also come up with an integrated scientific visualisation of how the settlement will look, and how life there will be in term of food, transportation and energy among many others.

In July 2014, the UAE announced that it would create a space agency with the aim of sending the first Arab unmanned probe to Mars by 2021.

Even though that date is a long way off the amount of effort one would need to make currently in order to get to that end goal is gigantic, especially if they themselves want to spear head it without forming some space union project cooperation

there is also the chance that it could be dropped seeing as it is a long way off (or slowed incredibly like Masdr City)

emb

Mad that I'll be dead. Would love to see how the whole Mars thing plays out, but I'll only get to check out the very beginning.

Aiii

So not worth it
Seems rather late, wouldn't there be at least a couple of other settlements there already by then?

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
Nothing quite says 'future' like CG renders that look right out of the 80s.

kswiston

UAE might not even exist in a recognizable state 100 years from now (as in same style government as present, not as a geographic location), so no point getting hyped. Long term plans are cool though.

UAE might not even exist in a recognizable state 100 years from now, so no point getting hyped. Long term plans are cool though.

yeah for me it is more of the funding plan through out the years on research and technology that I am more happy about

since even if it does happen I am going to be dead before then

Seems rather late, wouldn't there be at least a couple of other settlements there already by then?

Maybe scientific ones, this appears to be a full on living settlement geared more towards feeling at home rather than studying the planet. Possibly a decent mixture of both? I know one thing people are worried about for traveling to and staying on mars is literally people being home sick which can lead to severe depression. Making a full on settlement that at least feels somewhat like home would be a massive endeavor, but should be the final goal of any program geared towards colonizing mars.

yeah for me it is more of the funding plan through out the years on research and technology that I am more happy about

since even if it does happen I am going to be dead before then

Yeah, significant scientific breakthroughs can be made even if they never realize this lofty end goal.

Kinyou

I think that's the first time I heard of a plan like this with a generous time plan.

I just wonder if they wont run out of oil within a 100 years.

Valhelm

contribute something
Amazing, a whole planet where women have to ask their father's permission to get married and can be arrested for being raped

I doubt they can actually afford it.

Heck, folks probably won't due to the first -- I don't know -- 10 batches will probably end up dead.

We don't need to let UAE's values anywhere near Mars.
This. If these are the only people that would have their values and way of life preserved by fleeing the planet, we as a species just deserve to die.

Slave owning autocrats don't need to be the ones living like this

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom